SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    wisconson hunters shooting elk , instead of Deer
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

wisconson hunters shooting elk , instead of Deer Login/Join 
posted
https://waow.com/2020/11/25/tw...-day-of-deer-season/

Roll Eyes

for the second year !
https://www.jsonline.com/story...-hunting/2679912001/

who knows , maybe they needed killing

the few spoiling it for the many

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
In their defense, and I lived Wisconsin for 20 years, hunters in Wisconsin shoot other hunters instead of deer on a fairly regular basis, so shooting an elk is an improvement.

Posts: 10826 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
we had a guy shoot, gut and drag out a LLAMA several yrs back.

My local game warden used to say a game tag in the pocket somhow drained 50 IQ points and ALL common sense away.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Oldie but goodie:

For years Frank’s wife begged him to take her hunting. He put her off as long as he could; finally, he gave in. They went to a place where bucks were likely to be found. He placed her where she could get a good shot at any deer that came along, and he trudged through the underbrush to another location about a half-mile away. Before he could get into position he heard two shots. “Oh no!” he thought, “If she gets a deer before me I’ll never live it down.” Then he heard his wife screaming, “Now, step back. That’s my deer!” As he raced through the woods he could see his wife aiming her rifle at a man whose hands were raised above his head. She yelled again, “I said, step away! That’s my deer!”

As Frank arrived at the scene the man yelled, “Okay, Lady. You can have your deer. Just give me a minute and let me get my saddle off of it.”

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too lived in Wisconsin. It is those hunters from Illinois, I tell you. I do recall their shooting of dairy cattle. For you city dwellers those are the ones with spots and lacking in antlers. After a couple of six packs of Huber beer they all look the same.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
Decades ago, when I was stationed at Loring AFB with the Air Force, I was the Base Game Warden (an additional duty besides being the OIC of Base Police). I still remember attending the local civilian court on an unrelated matter and listening to a man being arraigned for manslaughter during deer season for shooting a local civilian. Local Game Warden whom I worked with said that it was usually an out of state "(for example, New York) "hunter" who could not tell a deer from a human. Hopefully, with Hunter Safety programs, this has changed a bit.

Posts: 153 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think the numbers show MUCH safer hunting now than back in the 1960’s. Yes, when you have 700k people doing anything, there are going to be incidents.

A few days ago, 5+ days into the firearm deer hunt I think the news mentioned one fatality. This hunter was alone & shot himself some way or another. The other few were non-fatal.

Stuff happens, yeah not many elk in WI, one should know better. Many of these stories over the years get condensed into repeats. I wouldn’t doubt if tree stand falls are more common than shootings.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Yes, when you have 700k people doing anything, there are going to be incidents.

Which is why I go nowhere near the north woods in Michigan during white tail season.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
My brother lives in Wisconsin. He and his family abandon ship and head into the city for opening day. They come home to bullet holes in his house. Doesn't take many to get you to become an anti gunner. Guess if I lived up there I'd buy up all the ammo for months before the deer season started.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dude from Illinois has been missing in the Yoop since 11-13. Would not be surprised if fellow hunters plinked him.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
A NC teenager was hunting up there somewhere last week...Mississippi maybe?...and fell off a deer stand and impaled himself in his rifle barrel. Survived long enough to call 911. Horrible way to die.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...0a-8524-115c95ee7c76

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
It was coming right for me!!!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A NC teenager was hunting up there somewhere last week...Mississippi maybe?

^^^^^^^^^
Iuka far North Central Mississippi.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I used to hunt in a national forest at college, but quit after lots of close shots and bullets flying around. After that I mostly only hunted on private property or in tightly controlled hunts (military bases etc).

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8637 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Elk were reintroduced to WI in 1995, and the two herds together are supposed to be almost 400 animals now. The DNR website says they're going to issue 4 elk-hunting licenses this year. Before the reintroduction, any elk in the state were farm-raised.

In 1991, I think, opening day was very foggy and a new hunter - a teenager - shot what he thought was a deer. When he saw it was an elk, he thought, "Can't be!" but hiked out and called the DNR.

When they got on scene and he showed them what he had shot, he asked, "Are there any elk in Wisconsin?" and the DNR guy said, "Yes, and it's lying right there!" I don't think the kid was fined, but they didn't let him keep it.

I've never seen one in the wild - I'm not near the reintroduction counties - but lots of places around here raise them. If I did see one, I'd assume it was an escapee from an elk farm.

Frankly, I'd prefer not to have them on the highways with all the deer, cattle, etc, we already play bumper cars with.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Back in the late 80s or early 90s, I recall reading about some city fellows from NY who took up deer hunting in upstate NY. Apparently their ability to identify an actual deer was so bad that some of the farmers were forced to paint the word "cow" on the sides of their cattle in fluorescent paint.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I have heard of farmers here in Michigan painting their farm animals with fluorescent paint during deer season. Dunno if it's true.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
OK, let's get a grip here. (I'm not a hunter, but I do own guns. Hunting is just not my thing.) Consider those hundreds of thousands of hunters who take to the woods every November, and total up the number of unintentional shootings of humans. I don't have the statistics, but I'd bet that the hunting fields are safer than the streets of any major city after dark. Don't rain on all the hunters because a few are careless or uninformed. You all say the same thing about gun owners--don't blame them all when a few do something wrong.

My dad was a hunter; all my male uncles were hunters; and I suspect that my grandfathers were, too (they were old enough when I saw them that I never witnessed it). They were all stouthearted and moral men, and I will not allow their memories to be sullied in this way.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are always folks that do not follow the rules. Drink alcohol, shoot from a road, fail to wear hunter orange, spotlight deer and hunt on posted property. I feel completely safe if it is private property and I know everyone in the hunting party. When I lived in Wisconsin, it was not the locals that were a problem.

To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:

My local game warden used to say a game tag in the pocket somhow drained 50 IQ points and ALL common sense away.

Blanket comments about all hunters much? You sound just like those anti gun people that cover all gun owners with one broad sweep of the brush. You're really something else.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post