SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This is what frustrates me with our legal system.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is what frustrates me with our legal system. Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lopezp:
HA!

I certaunly understand why this is illegal and there are protections against it, but every so often a situation arises where you think "guilty until proven innocent" would save a lot of time and frustration.

You surely don't want to go down that slippery slope.

Q

Posts: 26207 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
HA!

I certaunly understand why this is illegal and there are protections against it, but every so often a situation arises where you think "guilty until proven innocent" would save a lot of time and frustration.

This is one of the reasons we killed a whole shitload of English dudes.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Competent When Sober
Picture of Mad Max
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
HA!

You surely don't want to go down that slippery slope.

You certainly do not. As someone who has been on both sides of the fence I can firmly attest that our constitutional protections are the only things that keep innocent men from being convicted.

At the end of the day everyone deserves the presumption of innocence and a defense. If you want to guarantee that an innocent young man gets a fair trial, you have to guarantee it to the biggest piece of sh*t too.

Oliver Wendell Holmes - "The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
We have somewhere between 2.15-2.2 million people under lockup in this country. Assuming an average cost of $30,000/year to keep someone locked up, that comes to about $65 billion/year.

How many more can we afford to lock up?

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Most of the problem here lies with the state legislature trying to "fix" financial problems within the state budget by making more and more criminal activity "legal" so to speak.

Used to be we could arrest for way more than we can now. Juveniles went to juvy for running off, spitting on their parents, hitting their parents, and now they have to commit a violent felony (or three) for anything to be done. We just have to tell the parents "Sorry your kid is a little monster, if he does something more serious call us back".

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post