SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hockey Fans (Tampa Bay and Vegas Especially)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hockey Fans (Tampa Bay and Vegas Especially) Login/Join 
Picture of dlc444
posted
I know there have to be a few.

Folks from Tampa will understand Gasparilla. For those unfamiliar, it is a tradition started in 1904. It is has become the third largest parade in the country with 300k-400k spectators, and likely the only (civilian parade) where (some trained) folks can shoot guns (blanks of course).

I am one of the Pirates who are part of the heritage, and even more fun, I am part of a committee that is basically considered the face of the group and generally get piratical year around. I do the hospital visits with the sick kids, the community outreach, a lot of really good giving back to the Tampa community.

Anyhow the NHL All Star game is here in town and there is a lot of partnership between my "Krewe" and the NHL. Great national and even international exposure for Tampa.

Thursday night, a handful of this subgroup (Gaspars Grenadiers) get to be at the Tampa vs. Vegas game and toss beads, t-shirts, skate between periods, etc. Glad hand with the fans. May even get an interview as I am the eldest of the folks participating. It will be a blast for us. I would think we will get some national airtime due to the all star weekend.

If anyone is tuning in, I will be all piratical wearing a red vest and a blue shirt with chili peppers. I will have a necklace of spent shells, most of which have taken a deer or pig.

I am not confident about the outcome of the game with Vegas stealing all the best players (expansion team), but it will be fun.

Reports of sighting would be appreciated as I can report them for national exposure.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
I subscribe to NHL.TV so I'll watch the game, at least until the Pens game comes on.

NHL.TV sometimes doesn't show intermission programming (have yet to figure out why some are broadcast & others aren't).

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Watching the Tampa Feed & nothing mentioned during the 1st intermission or the 2nd intermission. Sorry.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrbill345,

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelcityfishanddive
posted Hide Post
Nice!
I’ll be running my boat on Saturday along the pirate ship. I made myself a nice little pocket last year right along side the ship and a FWC boat. Kept the knuckleheads at a distance.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Oh well, the advertising revenue rules. Oh well. I was on the jumbotron a bunch. Fun event.

SteelCity, I wouldn't get in that washing machine if I wasn't on the Jose Gasparilla. What a zoo. Actually this year, I am not even stepping foot on it. I am a Parade Marshall, meaning I help keep things running smoothly and safely throughout the day. I have to check in the floats at Gandy and Bayshore starting at 8am.

I get to wear a cool radio headset and hang out with the bomb sniffing dogs.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
My son goes to college and stays in Tampa. When I asked him if he was going to the All-Star game he said no. Same weekend as Gasparilla Events and he never misses them with his fraternity brothers. I feel bad for the NHL fans trying to navigate the city with Gasparilla going on.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
We're you at the all star events? Just saw JR do a bit with a bunch of pirates.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2433 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post