SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Took my 11yo shooting for the first time today!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Took my 11yo shooting for the first time today! Login/Join 
posted
Well, the sun was shining, and it was pretty nice outside. I decided to spend most the afternoon inside on the range...

It was time... My oldest has his head screwed on straight, getting good grades, and has been mature enough to handle real guns for a while now. I've been hammering the basic gun safety rules into him when he was playing around with plastic guns (no, not Glocks! Wink ) and BB guns.

Dusted off the Ruger .22 & the Colt Python. Did some dry fire with him for about 90 minutes last night. He caught on pretty quickly, and was able to hold the front sight steady, and smooth on the trigger pull.

This morning, breakfast, got some stuff done around the house, and, well... "Come on, Lil CPD SIG, it's time." He sprinted out the door and into the Jeep like he had a bottle rocket strapped to his back. A 30 minute drive, 100 rounds each of .22 & .38, and 4 targets later, my Right Thinking Lil American has a smile on his face you couldn't knock off with a sledgehammer!

Not bad for his first time! Healing the pistol and hitting high and left a little, but after a few little tweaks, he was on target! I was able to put a few rounds down range too. Not a half bad way to spend an afternoon. Now, I'm waiting for Mrs CPD SIG and my youngest to get home so I can throw some red meat on the grill. I'm thinking some Blantons or Elijah Craig for my after dinner snack as my oldest and I clean guns and talk about girls in the garage.

Now, if you'll please excuse me, I'm off to have my "Proud Dad" moment. Cool

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

Enjoy the good times while they roll.

Cool

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a perfect day.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Excellent way to spend Dad time with the youngster.

Will he be expellened from school if they find out? Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
AWESOME !!! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8877 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Excellent!!!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38673 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
What an excellent day! I remember and will never forget the first day my dad took me shooting. I cherished the moments of him teaching me to shoot different firearms.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I still have my Remington 550-1 .22 rifle that I learned to shoot with my Dad 51 years ago. The first thing he would do when he would come home from deployment is to take me and my brothers to the range. I still have such great memories of learning to shoot. What a great day for you.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, teach him safety and how fun it is to shoot targets. He will then realize that "guns" are not evil, it is what you can do with them that can be evil or good.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great all around day. Nice work Dad!

Posts: 3915 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shooting with family is awesome!

Posts: 1616 | Location: Simpsonville SC | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great day was had by both you and your son.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Thumbs up!

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Helping to make a youngsters first experience with a firearm a very positive experience is crucial to the future of our sport.
Nice going!

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome. I bet it's a day he will never forget!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
three of my best shooting trips involved either offering suggestions to new shooters or allowing them to use my guns.

the big grins and smiles they get when the shoot well are wonderful.

the trick is allowing them 25 or 35 rounds to get a little frustrated, then they are way open to a little assistance when it is offered.

one couple offered to buy me lunch but that would have been silly

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post