SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Need a Good Wine Cork Remover
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Need a Good Wine Cork Remover Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
Okay, I am getting frustrated that things are not made like they used to! I have gone through several wine cork removers and can’t find one that lasts so I am hoping someone has a recommendation for a type and brand.

I first started with this kind, but it didn’t last long.

I Then got what I thought was best as this is a Williams Sonoma $100 opener that lasted only 8 months before breaking.

Then I went with a similar model I found on Amazon for much cheaper and it lasted 2 months.

I decided to then go old school thinking this one would last, but it lasted only one week.

It is just so sad how cheaply made stuff is today so if you have a wine opener that has worked for you, then I would appreciate it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Wine in a box?

I would try the first style again. I can't see how your first one would fail.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
Wine in a box?

I would try the first style again. I can't see how your first one would fail.

Box wine would be fail safe..lol. The first one did last the longest. It finally broke when the gears got out of wack somehow.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Crescendo Waiter's Corkscrew Wine Opener - Dark Blue by Franmara https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005..._api_i_7Ss4Ab06PM90H

Been using this for years. No complaints.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Tried all the same ones as you, Norm. Still using the last one you went with, the “old school” opener with two levels for pulling the cork. No issues at all, and I guess I’m surprised you broke one easily.

A neighbor of our has one that uses compressed air. Pierce the cork all the way through, hit a button and it sends air into the free space between the wine and the cork. Easy peasy. Just not intrigued enough to go buy one.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Had one like this for years. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/BESTBEI...keywords=wine+opener

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have the top one, but it's Oxo brand. Had it for years and it works well.

I've eyeballed the expensive C02 injector style, but the Oxo works well and it's paid for.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Have used the rabbit remover for a decade. $45?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Tried all the same ones as you, Norm. Still using the last one you went with, the “old school” opener with two levels for pulling the cork. No issues at all, and I guess I’m surprised you broke one easily.

A neighbor of our has one that uses compressed air. Pierce the cork all the way through, hit a button and it sends air into the free space between the wine and the cork. Easy peasy. Just not intrigued enough to go buy one.

The last one I went with is not an actual picture of the one I had. I was not able to save a picture of it and only paid $5 for it. I used the picture shown to show the style. I think the main issue is the one pictured has the cork screw secured directly to the device and the one I had did not.

No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I've used original Rabbit opener for about 5 years and just broke it. Must also admit it was one of the toughest to remove corks I ever dealt with. I'll buy another soon.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2008 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Have used the rabbit remover for a decade. $45?

Rabbit is the one I tried after the Williams Sonoma and broke after two months. Maybe since I bought it on Amazon it is fake.

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I have one of these that I have used for 7-8 years...it's nylon and seems sorta springy...but it's opened hundreds of bottles of wine and works like a champ. It's easy to use and compact when stored...

https://www.amazon.com/Screwpu...2e5feba0c901cc1f6e47

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
Screwpull is the answer that you seek. We have several, I prefer the pocket model. We have them in the cars, suitcases, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...L8CEvkJ5L&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...xiDKGmeGL&ref=plSrch

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We bought this one on Amazon about a year ago and it has worked pretty flawless. My wife absolutely loves it and it is actually pretty sweet.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Are you being too aggressive with the corks?

I seem to recall being taught in culinary school that you go all the way down with the corkscrew on a red but stop with one to go on a white. You also want to work the cork out and not manhandle it.

Posts: 33770 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine breaking all of those, regardless of who made them. I've lost wine openers, but don't think I've ever broke one.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When Americas test kitchen speaks, I listen
https://www.amazon.com/Creuset...-Model/dp/B007FNMD7I

is what they tested and it won

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I only drink reds, and I know how to open a wine bottle. I had one brand that worked for a very long time and then when I went to fancier models they just don’t last.

Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Best damn cork screw ever. My father has one and it's as smooth as butter.. http://royaldesign.com/us/view...-EAQYASABEgLkF_D_BwE

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post