SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got an offer for a new job Friday and sent in the acceptance letter earlier today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got an offer for a new job Friday and sent in the acceptance letter earlier today Login/Join 
posted
A little over a month ago I made a post asking if anyone here has ever worked as a critical facilities technician at a data center because I was thinking about making a career change.

Well I interviewed shortly thereafter and got an offer on Friday! I of course accepted it. Pay is about 1k more per month when factoring in the wages and holiday pay (shift work at a 24/7 manned data center). Add in some shift coverages over the course of the year and it’s going to be around 15-20k more than what I’m making now.

Plus, I get away from the most toxic person in any professional level I’ve ever met....my current supervisor. She is 99.9% of the reason I even started looking in the first place. The other .1% is because I’m just tired of what I’m doing...but I would continue to do it if she wasn’t such an evil bitch.

So why in the hell am I so nervous about putting in my notice tomorrow morning? I’ve been dreaming about getting rid of my boss for years now, it just seems irrational to dread tomorrow morning so much.

I’ll also be concerned about the possibility that the offer I received will be rescinded. Hell, we’ve seen it happen right here on these forums to other members in the past. So there’s that too.

I just wish I wasn’t a big ball of nerves right now. I know I shouldn’t be like this but I just can’t help it.

Posts: 683 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a deep breath.You will do fine tomorrow.Relax even if the offer were to go south just look how quick you got this job offer! Enjoy your new job.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1360 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good news brings anxiety as well. A resignation letter should be short and not mention any negatives about the company or your supervisor. Be sure you have the signed contract in hand before submitting the resignation letter.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
So why in the hell am I so nervous about putting in my notice tomorrow morning?

Everybody is nervous about a life-changing event. Apprehension about how your resignation will be taken is normal. If this "evil bitch" is the one you're supposed to give your notice to and not someone higher up, I'd resist the temptation to tell her off.

Posts: 27777 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's easy to answer.
Mostly because we have a "personal" relationship to our jobs rather than a "business" one.

Posts: 22825 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

Everybody is nervous about a life-changing event. Apprehension about how your resignation will be taken is normal. If this "evil bitch" is the one you're supposed to give your notice to and not someone higher up, I'd resist the temptation to tell her off.

Yeah she’s going to be the first person I hand my letter to tomorrow. Second person will be the HR manager because I wouldn’t put it past my boss to not hand it in.

I have every intention on being polite and professional, but if she can’t do the same then I’m also prepared to walk out. My wife has been telling me for months now to just quit.

Posts: 683 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

That's easy to answer.
Mostly because we have a "personal" relationship to our jobs rather than a "business" one.

I think I’m more worried about the guy I work with. He’s going to have to handle everything until they find a replacement. This is going to be a pretty big blow to the company. It’s not some that somebody else can step in and help out with. It’s going to take time to find someone who knows how to do the job that is willing to do it for what they are willing to pay.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Yeah she’s going to be the first person I hand my letter to tomorrow. Second person will be the HR manager because I wouldn’t put it past my boss to not hand it in.

I have every intention on being polite and professional, but if she can’t do the same then I’m also prepared to walk out. My wife has been telling me for months now to just quit.
If I were in your position, I would seriously consider by-passing the toxic supervisor with the resignation letter, and just giving it directly to HR.

If you are leaving because of her, is there really any need to deal with her, or have any discussion about your resignation with her, if HR is an alternative?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30498 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

That's easy to answer.

I think I’m more worried about the guy I work with. He’s going to have to handle everything until they find a replacement. This is going to be a pretty big blow to the company. It’s not some that somebody else can step in and help out with. It’s going to take time to find someone who knows how to do the job that is willing to do it for what they are willing to pay.

Congratulations. Move on and don't even think back. We all like to think our position is very important, and we are indispensable, that if we suddenly disappear, the company will go to shit. We are not the first person that just got up and left. Happened before, and it will happen again. Companies will easily scramble and manage. Schulz is right.

Q

Posts: 26152 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I remember your thread and am happy you got the job. Good luck!

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I’m more worried about the guy I work with. He’s going to have to handle everything until they find a replacement. This is going to be a pretty big blow to the company. It’s not some that somebody else can step in and help out with. It’s going to take time to find someone who knows how to do the job that is willing to do it for what they are willing to pay.[/QUOTE]
Congratulations. Move on and don't even think back. We all like to think our position is very important, and we are indispensable, that if we suddenly disappear, the company will go to shit. We are not the first person that just got up and left. Happened before, and it will happen again. Companies will easily scramble and manage. Schulz is right.[/QUOTE]

Countries, armies and governments all have back up plans if you die or disappear. You may be missed but you WILL be replaced.

Congratulations on you new job.

--------------------------------------------
You can't have no idea how little I care.

Posts: 344 | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
We're in a great economy right now so I wouldn't be all that worried.
Maybe once you get settled in, you will be able to recruit the guy you work with too.

Posts: 9434 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Remember the company you work for would not hesitate to kick you the curb if things changed. You are going to a better place. Yes, you are nervous and that is understandable.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4009 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After you hand it to her - resend it to both her and HR electronically. (bcc your personal email)

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t be nervous. You aren’t leaving a good job for a better job you are leaving a toxic situation that would steal your soul if you stayed.

Posts: 3867 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
If your supervisor is as bad as you say then your coworker will probably be cheering you on.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3830 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
If it were me (BTDT) I would hand deliver to the HR Director. I would then immediately follow up with an email of confirmation to both the Director and to your supervisor. I would not take the time or the effort to provide her with a copy other than by email. However, keep in mind, I'm a dick.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on moving forward. I'd go straight to HR with the resignation letter. There's no need to have unnecessary dealings with a toxic supervisor. Your company has a process for this and it will play out how it plays out. Let your remaining time be as least stressful as possible.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Do you have any marching band friends?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15684 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shotgun Zeke
posted Hide Post
I would just send both HR and your supervisor an email at the same time with your intended last day. Alternatively, you could omit your supervisor...she sounds like a peach.

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor

Posts: 640 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post