SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oven/range electrical outlet question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oven/range electrical outlet question Login/Join 
Picture of Suppressed
posted
I need to replace our oven/range. The manual says I need a 4 prong 14-50R receptacle. The existing receptacle will only accept a 3 prong plug. Can I easily switch to a 14-50R? There are only three wires available. Can I just wire the range with the three wire cord?

Here is the manual: https://www.manualslib.com/man...s.html?page=9#manual

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
So you're saying your existing wiring doesn't seem to have a ground wire?

Posts: 11158 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The missing is a neutral not a ground.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Not an electrician but I just installed our new range and I think you can use either a 3 wire or 4 wire plug. Check your wiring diagram.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I found this: Change the wire to the stove rather than the receptacle.

http://www.superiorwirework.co...ric-range/new-jersey

Posts: 11158 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
The missing is a neutral not a ground.

In older homes, at the panel, the ground and neutral buses are tied together.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Most ranges and dryers have a bonding strap that goes between neutral and ground. You leave it in place for three wire set ups and remove it for use on four wire system. If it's pre-wired from factory as it sounds in the manual they may not of included the bond strap. Check the outlet box, if may have a neutral present not in use. If so just change outlet and verify in panel all four wires are terminated.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20812 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I did it a few years ago on our electric dryer. I absolutely hate electrical work but it was pretty easy to do.

Posts: 13093 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I did it a few years ago on our electric dryer. I absolutely hate electrical work but it was pretty easy to do.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HKJXofC-7w4" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

That's not the OP's issue though. His OLD range has wiring from the panel that only has 3 wires: 1 black, 1 white and 1 red, NO green or bare ground wire. I just ran into this at the house we are buying and had an electrician from where I work install a 3-prong outlet for the dryer as the cable coming back from the panel all the way on the other side was only 10-3 wire with 1 black, 1 red and 1 white, no ground wire. The old man who owned the home since 1951 must have had a hardwired dryer as the wire was just laying there in the basement. My electrician said it was safe and the white (neutral) wire goes back to the ground at the panel.

ETA: OP needs to wire a 3-prong stove plug to new range, but let the Forum electricians weigh in to make sure that's OK and safe.

Posts: 33768 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Ranges do not come with cords installed as they would have no way of knowing what the customer has for an outlet. You have a common 3 wire range outlet. If you purchased a cord when you bought the stove, return it for a 3 wire style. If you need to buy one, you need a 3 wire, 50 Amp 4' range cord. There is no need or reason to change your outlet.

We provide the correct cord when we deliver a new range or electric dryer.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Ranges do not come with cords installed as they would have no way of knowing what the customer has for an outlet. You have a common 3 wire range outlet. If you purchased a cord when you bought the stove, return it for a 3 wire style. If you need to buy one, you need a 3 wire, 50 Amp 4' range cord. There is no need or reason to change your outlet.

We provide the correct cord when we deliver a new range or electric dryer.

The manual that he posted in his OP states that this Kitchenaide Range is shipped prewired with a 4 prong cord, so he will need to figure out how to replace it with a three prong cord and the appropriate bonding strap on the range.

The manual also specifically states "Do not modify the power supply cord plug. If it will not fit the outlet, have aproper outlet installed by a qualified electrician."

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just bought a new Whirlpool range, our local dealer told us specifically that it did require a grounded outlet with a GFCI outlet. And was also specific that the electronics wouldn’t work without the GFCI and grounded circuit.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I claim no expertise in this, but my latest stove needed the 120 side to operate the controls. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went through this last year with my stove. House was wired for 3. I had to replace with 50 amp 4 wire. Part of the new stove was wire for 110 volt, that the stove needed 4 wire.

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I claim no expertise in this, but my latest stove needed the 120 side to operate the controls. FWIW>

If the instructions say you must use a 4 wire, then you must. Exactly for the above stated reason. There is usually timers, controls, displays that run off of 120v. It will also void the warranty if you run it inconsistent with manufacturers instructions, so if your control board ends up fried you're paying for it yourself.

I would remove the outlet and see if by chance they did run a three wire (3 conductors and ground) circuit. If so replace the outlet with four prong and verify all four wires hooked up on panel side.

If it is only two wire circuit call the manufacturer and see if they have alternate installation instructions or if it must use pre-wired four prong plug.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20812 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone! I appreciate it.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post