SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Medical response at motorcycle road racing events
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medical response at motorcycle road racing events Login/Join 
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted
Found this video and thought it was fascinating. The presenter is a funny guy too. Unfortunately, it seems he was killed in 2015.

Towards the end of the video he mentions that Northern Ireland at the time was the only place in Europe that didn't have an air ambulance.

quote:
On 21 March 2016, the day that would have been Hind’s 36th birthday, the key findings of a Helicopter Emergency Medical Service consultation were announced.[20] £4 million of funding had been granted towards the project. The plans are for an aircraft to be based at Belfast International Airport which will take the call sign "Delta 7", formerly assigned to Dr Hinds by the Northern Ireland Ambulance Service for whom he responded as a volunteer BASICS doctor.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Fascinating. Thank you for posting this.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I spent the evening watching this and other presentations by Dr. Hind.

They are uniformly excellent.

30 minutes goes by in a flash, but it is amazing to me how well the core points sank into my brain. It was like being in paramedic training again, and relating my 60 mph Kawasaki into a stopped car crash to my classmates.

Its a shame he died proving emergency medical service at a race.

Thanks for posting.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
<****>

Interesting their approach to prehospital care. RSI, tube, bilateral chest tubes, MAST suit, ....

Old school, but apparently still appropriate.

Excellent lecture by this guy. Too bad he's dead as he had much to teach on traumatic injuries.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
The first rule is to give them oxygen, that is wrong. If they are on fire put them out first.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is phenomenally educational. Thank you for sharing.

Posts: 225 | Location: WA | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
The first rule is to give them oxygen, that is wrong. If they are on fire put them out first.

I think you missed it where he says this. Unless you are quoting him, in which case you need "..."
https://youtu.be/MsZBXlTHPCg?t=629

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Wow. Outstanding video and presentation.

I'm constantly messing with my trauma kit, and lately have been working on one specifically for my motorcycle. I'm going to add one of those saws. I had always followed the "do not remove the helmet" rule, but had concerns about getting an airway open. Good suggestion about the saw to cut it off if needed. Potential response times for some of the places I ride could be hours.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I'm about to take a motorcycle specific first aid course so this was very interesting.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting, watching it was eye opening.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
It really is incredible they still race like this.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:

I think you missed it where he says this. Unless you are quoting him, in which case you need "..."
https://youtu.be/MsZBXlTHPCg?t=629

I was quoting him. I thought it was funny, really a aviation like attitude.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Wow. What a sobering job. I would love to see a road race like the Isle of Man TT (from a safe vantage spot) but I don't know how those guys do a course like that. Too crazy for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Amazing lecture. Watched some of his other talks. All very well done.

To bad he was killed responding to an accident there was alot to learn and he seemed to enjoy teaching.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Fascinating.

Racing lost a gem, when he moved on.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Wanted to give this a bump since I finally had a moment to sit and watch it.

To echo others, the presentation and information was excellent and intriguing. I'm going to have to take the time to watch some of his other videos.

What a huge loss to the community there when he died. Very tragic.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Do we have any members here who have witnessed one of these glorious road races?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Do we have any members here who have witnessed one of these glorious road races?

The closest I've gotten is Pocono raceway in PA. That would be a bucket list trip though.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post