SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does This Bother You Too? “Two white males in their early 30s, fell to the ground...”
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does This Bother You Too? “Two white males in their early 30s, fell to the ground...” Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
This is Orange County, FL, Sheriff’s Office Deputy, Ingrid Tejada-Monforte, giving a statement for the SO on the death of two men who were killed when the scaffold they were pouring concrete from collapsed.

All you need to listen to is the first minute or so to hear what prompted me to post this. Why is the race of the men killed worthy of mention? Not entirely sure why, but it bothers me a lot.

Link

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Not sure why it bothers you. I'm more bothered by the time traveling cops that are going to go back to earlier today and notify next of kin. If they have the ability to time travel why not travel a little further back and save their lives?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Seemed pretty harmless, 2 white males’. Maybe it was unnecessary at that point, but I don’t see harm intended.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really, she seemed to me to be reading a prepared statement using language that would be found from boxes filled out on an official report.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Not really, whats more disturbing is the trend to use the name/person in the description that has nothing to do with the situation.

Workers die in plunge from 6th floor after scaffolding gives way near Disney World

It was a Marriott being built on non Disney property. They do the same stuff here with any news story since it gets more attention/hits.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Could be simply that she's in LE and they're used to stating people's race as part of their daily job, when not addressing the public.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Standard LE parlance in describing the "Who"

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Acknowledged. Thanks

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Laws, even laws of gravity, only apply to white males so there's that...

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8330 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I get your point, TMats.

Posts: 107508 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why is the race of the men killed worthy of mention? Not entirely sure why, but it bothers me a lot.

Perhaps because these men, having been victims of an accident and dying as a result, were not criminals and thus posed no threat to the public yet frequently, when violent criminals pose a definite threat to the public and are still on the loose, thus presenting a real threat to the public, race and other descriptors are often not mentioned?

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Maybe so, 5.56

Thanks, para

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
She didn't tell us the color of the third "near" victim who managed to hang on...

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
They must have deleted and replaced the video. No mention of anything but their names. Or, I don't get it.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
It's very prejudicial that she would assume the deceased beings identified as white or male.

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
They must have deleted and replaced the video. No mention of anything but their names. Or, I don't get it.

I still see it. It’s no longer at the top of the station’s website, but it’s the second video there.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Did they update it? I didn't catch race mentioned.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

I still see it. It’s no longer at the top of the station’s website, but it’s the second video there.
Thanks, I was watching the wrong video.

What's bothersome to me is that in cases of a crime the police and/or news now typically omit the color or origin, because that's racist or whatever. Roll Eyes

In this case, the officer (probably subconsciously) gives the old style non-PC description of the perps or victims, but in this case it's not appropriate for the situation.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
It bothers me more that they have to say Walt Disney World even though it has nothing to do with Disney.
The property is near Disney right off I4. I pass it all the time and as far as I know it is not on Disney property.
I sometimes think the news does this to sensationalize it more to get the national media to pick up the story.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I get the satire. If they would have been of colour it would have brought up "why use race to describe" PROFILING RACIST !

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post