SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New prostate cancer treatment
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New prostate cancer treatment Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My biopsy went something like the picture that smschulz posted. They had to put me back on the table twice.
There's nothing like 14 "little bee stings" in the wazoo!

Don't ever fall for that "simple biopsy" ploy.
Ain't gonna happen.

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I had the Da Vinci robotic removal done about 7-8 years ago. My cancer was rated as a lower grade, low risk type but that also meant removal was fairly easy and didn't involve removing anything but the prostate itself. The idea of active surveillance did not sound appealing for a number of reasons as described in previous posts.
I didn't want to be one of those that had it come back in 6-10 years and think I should have had it done when it was more curable.
Now I still get PSA checks when I have blood drawn for a physical and no reading ( below .02 is all it says).
I have none of the other concerns and later issues as the other lesser treatments do, no more biopsies (that are not risk free themselves and unpleasant) and can fully empty my bladder in under 10 seconds. Issue free and drug free.
If it ever were to return, at least I know I did everything I could.
My surgeon was very experienced in robotic and you need to research that part if you decide to go that direction. Having the machine itself is just a part of the issue.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
220-9er. Everything you said! Exactly my thoughts when I got mine done.
Da Vinci Robotic Fellowship trained surgeon. Nothing removed but the prostate and no side effects. PSA less than .1 since the surgery 3 years ago.

Posts: 1223 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
220-9er. Everything you said! Exactly my thoughts when I got mine done.
Da Vinci Robotic Fellowship trained surgeon. Nothing removed but the prostate and no side effects. PSA less than .1 since the surgery 3 years ago.

Just have to keep our fingers crossed. If nothing got outside the prostate then neither of us will ever have prostate cancer. That's what I was going for had it removed, in addition to not dealing with some of the other old age prostate issues.
When I was facing that decision I happened to have several friends that had older relatives that had some of these less invasive treatments and several had it back 8-10 years later in a bad way.
The good thing about this particular type of cancer is that is spreads slowly, more like a vine growing, not shedding cells that go through the blood and lodge in distant parts of the body, like more aggressive forms often do.
The only down side is that it's hard to spot it until it is more advanced because the scans using radioactive markers don't seem to work well for prostate.
We'll only know for sure that we beat it when we die of something else.

I had a friend that had a much more advanced case and went to the doctor on this website. He has had excellent results so far, about 6 years out. The site has some excellent articles on the subject.

https://dattoli.com/

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post