SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suggestions for moving into my first "bachelor house" since college...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for moving into my first "bachelor house" since college... Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Curate, curate, curate. Read Marie Kondo's book, "The Life Changing a Magic of Tidying Up." The audio book was an easy listen.

Look into getting expert opinion on indoor plants. A little green goes a long way.

WiFi based home audio like Sonos would be nice. I would skip a big audio system in favor of something that is more livable on a daily basis.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
The easy answer to your question. Buy classy furniture and decore. No girly pics, or gun/hunting pics on the walls. Keep it clean and your socks not laying on the living room floor.

long answer: Look at everything you do now as an investment in the future.

First: Figure out what you want to use it for.

- Bachelor flophouse?
- Entertaining, friends/co-workers?
- Finding a GF/Wife?

Second: How long do you plan on living there? 6 months, 12 months, many years?

Based on those few criteria, then figure out how to best address what you want to do with the place. Make a plan to meet your objectives.

Ideas for doing so:

- Check out the magazine section at a local store. Look through all the various home and design magazines, see if there is something that catches your eye. It may open your eye to what is possible both now and long term.

Act and buy with purpose:
- The nice pictures your hung, why did you choose them? what do they mean to you? what story do they tell about themselves and you?

- Any furniture you chose, buy mid-level or better quality stuff. Buy it once and have it for 10 or more years maybe. Buy it with an eye for the present but also the future.

- Dishes, silverware, etc... Again buy Mid-level, you'll have them a long time. They should be good for everyday good enough to host a dinner.

- Drapes, Curtains etc... get nice ones that are functional and don't clash with your furniture/floor etc...

- Bedroom, get a nice bedroom set, that will see you through this and the next home. Years out maybe it is passed down to your future kid(s).

- Cigar room: on an 800 Sqft home, I don't see that as adding a lot of resale value. Also, non-smokers aren't going to like eating dinner in one.

----------
Central Vacuum, for <800 Sq Ft. Why??? It is already easy to clean, there is no economic return on putting one in.

A garage is a nice addition.

For anything you do in terms of capital investments in the place, Talk to your realtor about the expected value add. At 785 sq ft, there is only so much you can get out of this place in the long term.

Again going back to those early questions. In a year will you be looking to upgrade? Will you use this as a place close to your office to crash at on occasion and Air B&B it the rest of the time? So many questions to answer.

About me:
I split a place out of college with a co-worker. We had a collection of mismatched furniture. No real art. Hardwood floors, so no carpets. The kitchen was probably original to a 1920's home just with a 1970 countertop. A couple of coats of paint went a long way. We did have a keg in the basement refrigerator with a hose running up to the tap next to the kitchen sink. So yes beer on tap 24/7 and the choice of beer or water. Bachelor pad, yes. Working a lot, party on the weekends occasionally. I lived in 4 places over for 5 years after college. Then bought my current home 15 years ago. Does any of this matter to you? not really.

Will you stay in your new home long term? I would guess not, you'll change jobs, cities or find a GF and you'll want something better.

Well that is my best 5 minute response to your question. Offered just to help.

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Heck, rent the stuff, whats that rental furniture company, tv, fridge, etc....

Posts: 23193 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Heck, rent the stuff, whats that rental furniture company, tv, fridge, etc....

Well... cheaper to rent a lady friend, too. Razz

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23896 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
It’s a second home for me. Mainly just for weekends.

I do not think I’m cut out to be a bachelor, but I do find women very difficult to tolerate, in my personal life, these days.)

Posts: 5702 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not think I’m cut out to be a bachelor, but I do find women very difficult to tolerate, in my personal life, these days.

I would be the same way... if I was single at this point in my life. I have my way of doing things and so does my wife, and we each know and accept the other. But if I were dating... I think it would not be easy in mid-life. Go slow.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23896 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:

Don't forget the classic '70s Farrah Fawcett poster!

That is downright funny.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19555 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have the Farrah poster, you've got to have the electrical-cable-spool coffee-table.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2062 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not think I’m cut out to be a bachelor, but I do find women very difficult to tolerate, in my personal life, these days.)

I found myself a bachelor in my mid 40s. And then I found the perfect person to be with, and have been with her for 10 years. She works as hard at outdoor tasks as I do. She's a farm girl, tough as nails, independent, and her own person. We don't need each other, but we are better together and love each other.

Take your time, but it's not worth writing off the possibility of a good relationship.

In the interim, kill the batch pad!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12737 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Not that into TVs... But I have been looking at sailboats too... Big Grin

<——— I Want That.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12555 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Do whatever the hell you want with the place.

If a female sinks her nails into you for any kind of relationship, she's going to remove, replace, throw away, give away, replace or put in the garage pretty much anything you have.

They'll all programmed at birth to play house and your new place will be the blank canvas for her.

Make it your own in any way you want.
^^ THIS ^^

I'll take it a step further - hit up all of your married buddies and decorate your bachelor pad with all of their favorite things their spouse put in storage (kegorators, huge speakers, beer signs, recliners, etc). It'll save money and your married buddies will want to come visit/escape.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23047 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Furnish it nicely and something that you will grow with and furniture that you'll take with you to your next place.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jeff Foxworthy talked about the cable spool tables and I think the cinder block and 2x10 shelving

...and a $10,000 stereo system. Because even if you're a broke bachelor you gotta have tunes.

If you're not into TV's that's cool. I don't watch much TV except news and movies. I remember mentioning at work I bought a 65" Sony A1E OLED (their first OLED from 2017) and liked it so much I bough the 55" one for the master bedroom at the next Black Friday.

"You have two OLED's ?!"

"Yeah, because there's no one to tell me I can't!"

My house is tasteful, but basically the same stuff as when my ex still lived here. Luckily we furnished it with the simpler more traditional Ethan Allen stuff from about 15-25 years ago. Classic look, solid wood (mostly maple), lasts forever. And an outstanding leather couch. Perhaps it was already somewhat masculine in look - no frilly crap, no floral prints except textural leaf patterns on some curtains. Newer decorations are all free stuff I've been given during my work travels in Asia. Adds a little flair I guess.

The living room has the bigger TV with surround sound and a powerful sub (all Paradigm reference speakers), my upstairs bonus room has guitars and amps and a small TV with compact surround sound system (intended for my son's video games), and front bedroom "office" has the guns and computers.

If I did it again probably go for an upscale cigar lounge look with the couch and maybe some other stuff. A woman would probably think my stuff is hopelessly un-modern and want to change it all. And if she wanted to paint the stained solid wood trim and doors white, that's just not happening.

Posts: 4687 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Is there a way to install the toilet in the same room as the widescreen tv and the fridge? If no... I got nothing.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Is there a way to install the toilet in the same room as the widescreen tv and the fridge? If no... I got nothing.

That's why you keep a stash of empty Gatorade bottles next to the couch.

Posts: 32380 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will politely disagree with most of the above (anew thing for me). Buy quality but set it up exactly like you enjoy. Setting it up to entice or impress women is all kinds of dumb. You are a man be a man. Besides which, if you do get married she’s just going to redo it anyways.

Enjoy your shit, just the way you like, let’s the cards play out however they land. Life’s too short to try to please some mythical person.

Posts: 7324 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post