SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suggestions for moving into my first "bachelor house" since college...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for moving into my first "bachelor house" since college... Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted
I never really thought I'd pick out a place, again, as a bachelor, but I am.

I suppose what I'm really asking is, how "male" do I make it? Apparently, back in law school, I lived in an unnervingly spartan fashion. It weirded out my married friends. I have some good artwork, and I'll put in more furniture - and won't have a power rack and platform in the living room...)

Its 785 square feet, but in a nice neighborhood.
I'm going to add a garage, with a cigar room/might add a small portable "office" style building.

It would be easy to add a central vacuum system, but I'm not sure if there'a a benefit to that.

I will build a smoker, if I can entertain. I do not have a dining room, which may make that hard, but if I build the right cigar room, that could double as a place to eat barbecue.

Posts: 5702 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
If ladies are involved into the equation solicit some help from the wife of a friend or a lady friend. It would make a difference that way.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19079 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Do whatever you damn well feel like with no regard for others Wink Enjoy the hell out of it!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12555 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Do whatever you damn well feel like with no regard for others Wink Enjoy the hell out of it!

This is definitely an approach.

I guess the first question for the OP is, “Do you intend to remain a bachelor, or do you hope to find another mate anytime soon?” If the former, Prefontaine has it nailed. If the latter, old rugged cross has a good suggestion.

Posts: 6861 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It depends. Are you planning to stay single? Then do whatever the fuck you want.

If you are looking to attract someone for another relationship, then you may want to come across as a bit more civilized.

When I was a bachelor again, I lived pretty spartan / minimalist but still came across as having some taste / interests / class. I didn't need to ask women what to do, I just took a little time to not live like a complete savage - it helped that I had kids 1/2 time and the house had great hardwood floors, so all it really took was some decent furniture, photos / pictures on some walls, and books on the shelves, and some stuff in the kitchen / fridge other than pint glasses, bottle openers, and beer. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Suggestions for moving into my first "bachelor house" since college...

Can't really help you with this one, went from living in a dorm in college to getting married and have lived with my wife since then - 35 years in a couple of weeks.

I've never have had the chance to live in a "bachelor pad".

Whatever you decide, I've heard that wall to wall shag carpeting is not really looked upon to highly today Wink

I'm going to ask my wife how she thinks that I would have decorated a bachelor pad if I had lived in one. Can't wait to hear her answer to that...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1888 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm in a similar boat, and will be moving in 3 weeks into my first "bachelor pad" since the mid-2000s. Luckily, I have a friend who is an interior designer.

She's not doing up an entire interior design plan for me, but she's going to help with some smaller stuff like matching the new furniture I'm going to buy to the flooring/trim/walls, and putting in a few decor items to not make the house look so spartan.

Posts: 32380 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:

I'm going to add a garage, with a cigar room/might add a small portable "office" style building.

I will build a smoker

Howdy Ag, I see a conspicuous absence of any mention of "Walk in Gun Safe"!

HK Ag

Posts: 3482 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
He said "785 sq.ft." place. That IS a walk-in gun safe.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12737 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Building a combo cigar room, safe and workplace, good idea...

If I had my own place again, big ass tv, 80 inches minimum, nice stereo surround sound, top notice leather recliner and sofa, nice table, end tables, lamps, LVP floors

Posts: 23193 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I knew a guy while growing up who was in a similar situation. He owned a car dealership but his place was roughly the same size as you list. His place was tasteful and uncluttered, mostly leather and dark woods. He had pictures of his family and his longtime girlfriend...oh and his 52' sailboat Wink

Guy was a workaholic and spent most of his off time on the boat.

When I was (still am) a geographical bachelor my place was beyond basic.

Full sized bed on a bed frame, folding table nightstand.

Living room had a Ikea fold out couch and a 2.5'x4' table that served as a dining, computer and gun work bench and another folding table side table.

dining area held the gun and range bags.

Now since I live with my son when in town we have made it slightly more human....not much

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Building a combo cigar room, safe and workplace, good idea...

If I had my own place again, big ass tv, 80 inches minimum, nice stereo surround sound, top notice leather recliner and sofa, nice table, end tables, lamps, LVP floors

And a kegerator preferably with two kinds of beer; "doing yard work" beer and, "kicking back after a long day" beer.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14018 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Do whatever the hell you want with the place.

If a female sinks her nails into you for any kind of relationship, she's going to remove, replace, throw away, give away, replace or put in the garage pretty much anything you have.

They'll all programmed at birth to play house and your new place will be the blank canvas for her.

Make it your own in any way you want.

Posts: 4059 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
If a female sinks her nails into you for any kind of relationship, she's going to remove, replace, throw away, give away, replace or put in the garage pretty much anything you have.
I laugh that people actually let that happen.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I am a bachelor and I do what I want.

I am not in the market for a women.

For a few years I had my gun safe in my front room. Yes, my front room was my gun room Smile

When I renovated I moved my safe to my bedroom.

Do what you want and enjoy yourself.

Yes I did have a kegerator Razz

Yes, 80" tv too...

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3453 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
This is actually a very safe and healthy attitude.

It's not selfish, not self-destructive, not hurting anyone and just how you want to live for your well-being and mental health.

Posts: 4059 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
And a kegerator preferably with two kinds of beer; "doing yard work" beer and, "kicking back after a long day" beer.

Don't forget the classic '70s Farrah Fawcett poster!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23896 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Not that into TVs... But I have been looking at sailboats too... Big Grin

Been trying to figure out how to put a gun safe in there.

Posts: 5702 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
I would follow the styling tips of Barney Stinson almost to the T.

https://youtu.be/ruFDqh2r9xk

Posts: 2113 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
Not that into TVs... But I have been looking at sailboats too... Big Grin

Been trying to figure out how to put a gun safe in there.

yeah but you need one, at least in the cigar room, because you and your buddies need to turn on fox and bitch at what's going on in the country!

Thinking a main service, one of those French Maid services, yeah.. so you really don't care if they dust things .....

Posts: 23193 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post