SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dumb question - trucks and high speed turns
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dumb question - trucks and high speed turns Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Good to know that trucks will still usually provide some warning with drifting / squealing before rollovers. I generally avoid that so there's comfort I still have headroom even beyond that.

I have adjusted my driving for the truck (at least when I remember Smile). I'm in that awkward stage where I've gotten over the initial pucker over ever bump and turn but still not aware of the limits. So when I forget I'm in the truck until I'm taking a turn too fast, I have that puckering moment when I'm trying to decide to brake or just drive through it; neither being comfortable options at the time. Not so worried about a little drift - more worried about rolling over. Sounds like I need another 10k miles of driving.... Smile I drive it sparingly (150mi/month?) - I should drive exclusively for awhile.....

Rey - that's me too: GS300 (w/ aftermarket Eibach/Bilstein) and LX570.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe Motor Trend tested the 2018 Silverado and it held .69g. That's not Corvette performance by any means, but it's a lot. You'd feel pretty uncomfortable in your seat at that level.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I have spent a lot of time on the track (road courses) on 4 wheels and 2 wheels both. If that back end breaks loose or is starting to, that’s a sign that you are pushing or going too fast and you need to back off. If you don’t, the back end will let go and you’ll start rotating. I’ve had it happen to me in a 4X4 Tundra in 4 low, and I did a 360 right in the middle of an intersection of a 4 way stop sign. Truck warned me, I didn’t listen, and luckily nothing happened but some embarrassment.

In a high speed turn if you feel her wanting to tip, it’s body roll, and likely excessive body roll. Just don’t keep increasing speed when you feel it as increasing speed when you feel it, well that is when you can roll it over.

Make sure you have proper tires for weather conditions mounted, and don’t drive it like a sports car or sports sedan and you’ll be safe as kittens. In a truck, compared to your previous sporty sedan or whatever, you’ll just go about the same driving conditions slower in a truck. Unless it’s a Ridgeline it’s just not going to handle as well. As long as you aren’t pushing it like a sports car you’ll never have any trouble. And remember it’s a lot heavier than a car so that has its’ benefits and negatives depending upon situation.

Your question was an excellent one and a sign that you give a damn. Most don’t. They trade in their car, get their first truck and generally drive it the same as a car and that’s not what you do. I’ve got a million people like that here and it makes driving treacherous many days being around them. You don’t drive a vehicle at that weight, with a ladder frame, like you do a unibody car.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure why you would be on the street in a Tundra giving power at intersections in 4WL?

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I have seen more people crash then spin out or roll on the first attempt.

Here is what I mean. Few trucks do a roll in a turn. Think Suzuki/Jeep Wrangler. Some will spin, back end loose and many will push, front end plows and doesn't turn enough.

Now to the crashes. When a driver senses one of the three above (roll, spin or plow) they often snap the steering wheel back too fast and too far and create a crash that otherwise was not going to happen.

Its not the first problem that gets you, its the snap back that does.

My suggestion take a dry on ramp, preferable an uphill one, and try it, a little faster and close to the line each time, if you start to hear the howl of wheels, back off. The uphill and backing off should bring the vehicle back to a safer speed.

You will get the feel for it. That will tell you if the vehicle is prone to plow and should also get you more comfortable with a safe amount of leaning/body roll

If it is a pickup then you might want to use a parking lot instead, spinning out on an on ramp might be problematic to say the least.

Now don't go blasting onto it and hug the line and shit pants when you are going 40 over the limit to see if Timdogg6's method worked. That's just you being stupid.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or is there risk of rollover even if I don’t hit anything?

Too many possible variables to give a definitive answer but if you are concerned, you may be too close to the edge.
Center of gravity being much higher is always a concern, but tire pressures and tire construction, type of asphalt, loading, angle of the road, bumpiness, curbs, and much more are some of the factors.
Anytime you lose adhesion with a vehicle like that you are in very risky territory no matter what your skill level is.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
You might do well to develop a mindset that if you were hauling a load (a truck's purpose) you don't want it shifting on you. Tends to make you drive it within it's limits.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, when buying new tires for a truck I prioritize the wet-traction rating.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I drive a Boxster S and a F-150. In general trucks are made haul stuff and suck at handling. Sports cars excel at handling but suck at hauling stuff. I drive my pickup like an old lady and have never pushed it to losing traction in a corner. Seems like a good plan to meBig Grin

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
And back when I first started riding, it was when Florida used a lot of oyster shell in the blacktop and it would wear smooth as frog fur and the oils in the asphalt and from vehicles would be absorbed to a degree and then the first few minutes of rain it was like snot on ice.

After the oils wash off, it got a little better, but the smooth worn shell still made traction iffy.

It just made you very aware of rain.

Leaving the road at anything above 15 MPH almost always became a rollover event with the soft sandy soil.

They eliminated the shell in the 80s, and graded and seed the medians and sides of most roadways and it is a huge difference over what we had long ago.

Now if we could do something about those SPAZ drivers... (Smart Phone Attached Zombies)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
In all honesty with as much electronic help you have in your rig and you even come close to rolling it you are driving like a complete and utter asshole or something out of your control caused it and then there is nothing you can do.

You’re driving a 6000 pound tank.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Depends on the truck and how it is set up.

A factory 5,130 lb. regular cab Dodge 1500 was good for .86g of grip on a 300 ft skidpad, but it had to be set up a certain way.

A full size truck should have a wider track width than almost any car. Trucks are also more likely to have a pushrod engine. The engine will weigh less than a OHC or DOHC of a similar displacement and have a lower center of gravity. If the truck has a V-6, almost the entire engine will be aft the front axle, basically making it a mid-engine vehicle with better weight distribution. Many trucks now are equipped with 20" wheels (sometimes 22") allowing for a larger contact patch with the roadway (yet suffer from big rim inertia). Any modern truck built worth a damn should also have a hydroformed frame from steel rated at least 36,000 PSI or higher.

It should also be noted that the legally mandated ABS on a truck is junk when compared to a 25+ year old Bosch series III ABS. Better to steer away from the obstacle than use the brakes if at all possible.

While you won't see me at Laguna-Seca in a 14 year old truck turning hot laps with a G-TechPro, I have done an amazing job at the Dumb-shit-backing-out-into-the-roadway-and-also-missing-the-mailman-in-the-other-lane course.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
Not sure why you would be on the street in a Tundra giving power at intersections in 4WL?

Snow covered roads and I had to get to work. It was 10-15 mph bumper to bumper. Not sure why you brought out your jump to conclusions mat. Any faster and I would have been in 4wd high.

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! Learned some good stuff here. And some entertainment too Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prefontaine: Do you mean the conclusion I jumped to when I read about you doing a 360 in an intersection in 4WDL in bumper to bumper traffic and in the same post bitched about what a menace those other drivers are?

That conclusion?

posted Hide Post
I have been driving a truck for years. You would have to try pretty hard to roll a truck while on a paved road going somewhere around the posted speed limit.

While trucks do have more sway to them they hold pretty tight. The tires would squeal before breaking traction, unless you are accelerating.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
Prefontaine: Do you mean the conclusion I jumped to when I read about you doing a 360 in an intersection in 4WDL in bumper to bumper traffic and in the same post bitched about what a menace those other drivers are?

That conclusion?

4 way stop, accelerating with people bearing down on all 4 corners. I made a mistake, that I admitted to. And that’s what you’re all worked up over, me admitting my own mistake? I learned well from it, most do not.

Is this your thing, hunt posts down on the forum to blow a gasket over? If so I’d recommend a psychiatrist or some time off work. I admitted to making a mistake. And yes I mentioned driving where I live is treacherous now. Inclement weather, all hands on deck, because they don’t know how to drive. A million full size trucks and SUV’s driving them like a small car, and/or driving inattentively because they are piloting a 5k lb vehicle while surfing on their phone. This is the treachery that I speak of. My mistake in that 4wd all those years ago? That was the better part of 20 years ago sir, and I posted it as a lesson of a mistake and what not to do. Either way man I don’t see the necessity of your anger at what I posted.

posted Hide Post
You're mistaking my amusement at your self-righteousness for anger.