SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smart electric meters?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smart electric meters? Login/Join 
posted
I did a search and found few references here even with a Google search. The other sites I looked at seemed to be pretty much conspiracy theory. Does anyone here have any constructive discussion regarding the good and bad regarding these units? Iowa does not seem to have any policy at this juncture to allow me to block installation if they are found to be detrimental. Is all the bad press hokum or are there legitimate concerns I should be aware of?

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Positive. I had one on a property that I owned and sometimes rented. They were great for switching service as the meter reading was done over the phone or at a programmed time, and no calling in advance to wait for someone to take a reading.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Well, as I understand it they can take control of your energy usage if necessary and that’s helpful towards avoiding blackouts when the load on the system is excessive, but it also means the guy without it doesn’t have any loss of juice until dialing everyone like you down hasn’t taken care of the problem.

Good thing as long as enough people go with it.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're great. If you want to turn on service at a location you can do it with a phone call, can show exactly how many KWH's you're currently using, they also show voltage, etc. etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smart Meters broadcast about 2 minutes per month at a power level similar to Cell Phones. Contrast that with the Cell Phone you see people poking at darned near every waking hour of the day. In those terms the "harm" caused by a smart meter is many orders of magnitude less than the potential "harm" caused by a cell phone or the WiFi network in most homes today.

Bottomline is all this hoohaw about smart meters causing cancer is 100% BS.

As for the theoretical "invasion of Privacy" they could prevent all they are capable of doing is reporting your total energy usage, patterns of usage, and status of your connection to the power grid. So, in theory the Electric Company could determine what times you are commonly in the home and using appliances. They can also tell if you've had a power failure. As for monitoring consumption, that is something electric meters have been doing since the very first power network was constructed. Personally I really don't care if the electric company knows what time I'm watching TV or poking at a computer.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
They really aren't that smart. Mine can barely hold a conversation on current events without starting to lecture me about global warming. I think it watches too much MSNBC.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of conspiracy theories and outright bullshit . Most people that have one don't even know it .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I pay $9.60 every month to NOT have one. Ain't nobody turning my AC off on a 95 degree day except me.

I'm fairly familiar with the subject of them. Been a strong advocate for allowing an Opt Out policy required for all utilities. I don't like how they can monitor your electric usage patterns and data mine from it. I don't like someone making the decision of how much power I can have based on grid loads or charging me extra for usage at certain peak times.

My electric meter is dumb as a rock.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
A lot of conspiracy theories and outright bullshit . Most people that have one don't even know it .

I suspected that I might have one when I never saw a meter reader ever come out. Since I've had video surveillance I'm sure they don't come out, so apparently I do. Meh...no biggie for me.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
I pay $9.60 every month to NOT have one. Ain't nobody turning my AC off on a 95 degree day except me.

I'm fairly familiar with the subject of them. Been a strong advocate for allowing an Opt Out policy required for all utilities. I don't like how they can monitor your electric usage patterns and data mine from it. I don't like someone making the decision of how much power I can have based on grid loads or charging me extra for usage at certain peak times.

Same here.

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 368 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:

You obviously have no clue how an electrical grid works .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
A smart meter doesn’t turn off or control anything in your house. You have to have separate devices for that and you generally get a credit when they are activated, plus you have to agree and sign up for that service. The smart meter just has electronic communication to other meters to send your usage back to the utility in a meshed network to save the utility and its customers the cost of sending a meter reader to your house. It can provide more information on demand that a standard meter can’t. Smart meters are no more harmful than your cell phone or home WiFi. No good reason to pay the opt out expense.

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
We have had both Gas and Electric smart meters for a while in Northern California. At first we were skeptical and wanted to pay to opt out. We never did and are real happy with them.

I know they would give you little window things that you read your own meter and post it on the window on meter reading days. We tried that but it was a PITA. It allowed us to lock our side gate and to restrict access to our back yard thus giving us a higher level of security.

There was some sort of a discount you could sign up for if there was a heavy load on the grid and you allowed a rolling shut down. We never did that.

You can go online and look at daily consumption. The wife started to dry clothes on a clothes line when weather permits and that really brought down consumption.

I believe in case of a house fire the utility company can shut down the service and that may help a lot. Just look at all the fires in Northern California we just went thru.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We pay $5/month to opt out.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SJS:
A smart meter doesn’t turn off or control anything in your house. You have to have separate devices for that and you generally get a credit when they are activated, plus you have to agree and sign up for that service. The smart meter just has electronic communication to other meters to send your usage back to the utility in a meshed network to save the utility and its customers the cost of sending a meter reader to your house. It can provide more information on demand that a standard meter can’t. Smart meters are no more harmful than your cell phone or home WiFi. No good reason to pay the opt out expense.

THIS.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post