SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nationwide Injunctions Are a Threat to Our Constitutional Order
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nationwide Injunctions Are a Threat to Our Constitutional Order Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
National Review Online
Jeff Sessions
March 10, 2018

Editor’s Note: This essay is adapted from a speech given to the Federalist Society’s National Student Symposium on March 10, 2018.

Under our Constitution, Congress writes our laws, the executive branch carries out our laws, and the judiciary applies those laws to cases and controversies.

These branches are coequal. The courts are not superior. On matters of policy, the branches that are directly accountable to the people must be given proper respect. That’s why it’s so alarming that judges are increasingly issuing nationwide injunctions — orders that block the entire federal government from enforcing an executive-branch policy or executing a statute. These injunctions block the government from carrying out a law — not just in one district or to one person, but anywhere in America.

Scholars have not found a single example of any judge issuing that type of extreme remedy in the first 175 years of the Republic. In just over one year in office, President Trump has been hit with 22, more than any other president in our history. And they’re happening on issues that voters care about, like DACA, the travel order, sanctuary cities, and the service of transgender people in the military. Shutting down our elected officials from carrying out our laws effectively silences the people who voted for them.

That’s why it’s not what our courts have traditionally done. For example, in one 1897 case, the Supreme Court found a law unconstitutional and even recognized that many others besides the plaintiff might be entitled to relief. But the Court issued an injunction that only prevented application of the law to the plaintiff. During the New Deal controversies, courts concluded that one new tax was unconstitutional more than 1,600 times. They issued more than 1,600 injunctions — each applying only to the plaintiff in the case.

So why does this matter to non-lawyers? This is a question of who gets to decide the policy questions facing America: Is it our elected representatives, our elected president, or unelected lifetime-appointed federal judges?

Nationwide injunctions mean that each of the more than 600 federal district judges in the United States can freeze a law or regulation throughout the country — regardless of whether the other 599 disagree. That’s a threat to the proper functioning of the federal government for a number of reasons.

First of all, nationwide injunctions encourage forum shopping. There is a reason why so many lawsuits have been filed against the Trump administration in California and Hawaii, and why others were filed against the Obama administration in Texas. Lawyers are looking for the most favorable forum in which to advance their goal of imposing a policy outcome on the country without winning at the ballot box or in the legislature.

Second, nationwide injunctions cut off discussion among the lower courts — a key feature of our legal system that leads to smarter, better decisions.

Third, when a single district judge issues a nationwide injunction while similar cases are pending elsewhere, that overrides the rulings of other judges. For example, a federal judge in Maryland held that the wind-down of the DACA policy was lawful. So even though the plaintiffs in that Maryland case lost, it was as if they won, because judges in San Francisco and New York issued injunctions that stopped the federal government nationwide.

Nationwide injunctions create an absurd situation in which a plaintiff only needs to win once to stop the government from acting — but the government needs to win every time to carry out its policies. That makes governing all but impossible.

The increasing frequency of these limitless injunctions is simply unsustainable, and the increasingly extreme nature of these injunctions is only making it more obvious just how unconstitutional they are.

The Supreme Court has not yet issued a definitive ruling on the merits of nationwide injunctions. So far, when the Court has had relevant cases before them, it has resolved them on other grounds. But I am hopeful that the Supreme Court will soon send a clear message to the lower courts that injunctions ought to be limited to the parties of the case.

This is not a political or a partisan issue. After all, this has been a problem for administrations of both parties. Until President Trump, the President with the most nationwide injunctions was President Obama. Before him, it was President Clinton.

But the Department of Justice — under Democratic and Republican administrations alike — has been consistent over these past several decades that nationwide injunctions gravely threaten the proper respect for separation of powers, and the very functioning of the other two branches of the federal government.

This is my message: We hope the Supreme Court will resolve this issue. There can be no question that courts should put an end to nationwide injunctions and keep activists on both sides of the aisle from paralyzing the federal government.

The American people vote for those other two branches of government. We want our votes to count. Our elected officials need to be able to act.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Those who are interested in the speech today will find it at https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WhimPlVqp0Y

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JALLEN,

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
the truth will set you free
Picture of ilikefirearms
posted Hide Post
I hope they stop these also. Both parties do it. GOP attacked Obama stuff with these judge shopped cases too. Dems and GOP both hypocrites if it gets them what they want. https://www.politico.com/story...ns-government-228234

Conan! What is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Posts: 1508 | Registered: September 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure what the authority for these is, but it needs to change. Congress sets the jurisdiction for the courts. Maybe that needs tightening. It would work both ways, of course.

Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
With the mention of forum shopping, a question:
A judge in Hawaii issues a national injunction on an issue. A judge in Texas orders the opposite on the same issue. What happens? Can one judge over turn another?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
My question has been--what's the prevent the President or Cabinet Secretary to say--"Ok, judge in Hawaii...how do you plan on enforcing your ruling?"

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGguy229:
My question has been--what's the prevent the President or Cabinet Secretary to say--"Ok, judge in Hawaii...how do you plan on enforcing your ruling?"

Respect for court and orders, even if you think they are improvidently decided. You abide by them anyway, and seek redress in higher courts.

It is unthinkable to be enjoined by a court and do it anyway. The DoJ tried that, fibbing to the Court in Brownsville, and drew all sorts of grief, mild in some respects but sufficient to compell obedience. I remember the Attorney General was ordered to appear in person. That got attention and the situation was peaceably resolved with some loss of dignitude.

That will be the final breakdown of our constitutional form, when the government refuses to obey the orders of its courts.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
A judge in Hawaii issues a national injunction on an issue. A judge in Texas orders the opposite on the same issue. What happens? Can one judge over turn another?

Think about it. An injunction is almost always to forbid, or restrain an act. The opposite is for it to go ahead, so the prohibitory order is usually enforced. The first one generally has priority. No district court has priority over another, andcreally, except for these aberrations, a circuit court in one circuit has no jurisdiction over district courts in another circuit.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:

If you were enjoined from doing something you really wanted to do, you would file an appeal with the circuit court of appeals in the circuit where the injunction was issued (28 USC § 1292(a)(1)).

The Court of Appeals with jurisdiction over the issuing district court can dissolve the injunction. To challenge an injunction issued in Hawaii, you'd want to go to the 9th Circuit.

JALLEN can probably think of some exceptions to this, but it's roughly analogous to a chain of command--more effective to go up than across.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't the injunction only apply in the district where it was issued?

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

That's the problem the article is pointing out.

I.e. Local district courts should not be able to enjoin federal laws to nationwide effect. The current setup encourages "forum shopping" which is finding the particular court (district court in this case) that is most likely to rule in your favor and filing suit there because it gives you the best chances of winning with nationwide ramifications.

The article says injunctions should be limited to the parties in the case. I suppose that is one way to do it. Doing that might make the injunction even more narrow than the district itself. There would be no affected "class" so to speak, even within that district, only the specific parties would be affected.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

That's the problem the article is pointing out.

I.e. Local district courts should not be able to enjoin federal laws to nationwide effect. The current setup encourages "forum shopping" which is finding the particular court (district court in this case) that is most likely to rule in your favor and filing suit there because it gives you the best chances of winning with nationwide ramifications.

The article says injunctions should be limited to the parties in the case. I suppose that is one way to do it. Doing that might make the injunction even more narrow than the district itself. There would be no affected "class" so to speak, even within that district, only the specific parties would be affected.

That is what Sessions is suggesting, limit it to the parties. It should not work as, in effect, an adjudication on the merits that the challenged policy is unconstitutional, unenforceable, etc.

The rationale, I suppose, is the Secretary of Homeland Security, for example, is forbidden to enforce whatever it is, pending the adjudication, and the department acts nationwide.