SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interesting article-OV10 Bronco support aircraft
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Interesting article-OV10 Bronco support aircraft Login/Join 
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
I always thought of bringing back the Skyraider with modern avionics.

That would be EXTREMELY difficult. I am not aware of any radial engines in production anymore.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I agree about the engines. But it would bring some nice ground support with some crazy payload. It would be cool to see some modern bombs and missiles on them!

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3861 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Report This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
I agree about the engines. But it would bring some nice ground support with some crazy payload. It would be cool to see some modern bombs and missiles on them!

Concur on the cool factor. But with something that size, you need to consider acoustic and visual signature. Most of our air strikes are not CAS, they are SCAR or air interdiction. If you're too loud, the enemy spooks and your strike window closes. The best strikes are when a group of assholes hears the whistle of an incoming AGM about 2 seconds prior to impact.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alreadydead:
If I remember correctly one of the things about it that was bad was the cockpit air conditioning or lack of. It was a loved plane in Vietnam, I think that there are some fire units (Cal Fire) still using them as a fire director/fire boss aircraft for directing efforts for wildland fire suppression.
The landing gear was very different too that allowed rough strip usage.

Yup, CalFire has about 15 of them, three of them for sure based up in Santa Rosa Airport.
http://calfire.ca.gov/communic...fact_sheets/OV10.pdf

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Report This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I saw this go by, and thought it might be interesting to the guys who followed this thread. This is what a modern successor to the Bronco would look like. Anyone for an armed to the teeth crop duster? Could be really useful in places like the sandbox, and would likely be a fraction of the cost to buy and operate compared to anything else the AF would buy.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/VSoDFCVBPgk

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I believe IOMAX is the company objecting to L3's recent aircraft contract with Kenya, saying that Kenya is overpaying for their planes....kickbacks anyone?

quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I saw this go by, and thought it might be interesting to the guys who followed this thread. This is what a modern successor to the Bronco would look like. Anyone for an armed to the teeth crop duster? Could be really useful in places like the sandbox, and would likely be a fraction of the cost to buy and operate compared to anything else the AF would buy.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Report This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Such is foreign military contracting. Everyone has their hand out.

But the point being, they make for good, COIN / light battlefield close support aircraft. If you're not operating in opposed airspace, they're a lot cheaper than big jets.

quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
I believe IOMAX is the company objecting to L3's recent aircraft contract with Kenya, saying that Kenya is overpaying for their planes....kickbacks anyone?

quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
Back when there was interest in a light attack aircraft, Boeing offered to put the Bronco back in production as the OV-10X

This would have given it the plug and play option.

http://www.ov-10bronco.net/Tec...nfo_card_2009_01.pdf

Arm it with Hellfires, APKWS, Small Diameter Bomb and a 20mm auto-cannon, you'd have a very slick aircraft, faster than attack helicopters, cheaper to operate than A-10s.

Can Sig Forum crowdfund this?

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The OV-10 can also take off and land from any of our carriers, including the amphibious assault carriers. An interesting basing option that other aircraft can't address.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Report This Post