SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auburn Bama, anybody watching?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auburn Bama, anybody watching? Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Very entertaining. Good outcome.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Very entertaining. Good outcome.
+1

Now, the SEC championship will be a remake of the November 11th Auburn vs Georgia game. Auburn whooped 'em 40-17 but historically it's tough to beat a team twice in one season.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Today might not be the happiest in Bama sport history.

The basketball team had the entire bench ejected, the one guy fouled out and another was injured, so they finished the game with 3 against 5.

It kind of reminds me about the ‘horns who blew a ~15 point lead with 8 minutes to go in a basketball tourney, in OT after leading the entire game, then the football team led the entire game except the first two minutes and the last two against Texas Tech.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm kind of over Alabama. That was a good game though.

Posts: 378 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Immediate problem for AU is we're down three running backs. Time will tell who can go if anyone.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20320 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Love seeing upsets and this college football season has been very good for a watcher like me.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Miami looked awful losing to Pitt.

With Virginia Tech having beat Pitt, I have to say I loved watching Pitt beat Miami. Smile

God bless America.

Posts: 13487 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Today might not be the happiest in Bama sport history.

The basketball team had the entire bench ejected, the one guy fouled out and another was injured, so they finished the game with 3 against 5.

It kind of reminds me about the ‘horns who blew a ~15 point lead with 8 minutes to go in a basketball tourney, in OT after leading the entire game, then the football team led the entire game except the first two minutes and the last two against Texas Tech.

The basketball game was crazy. 3 people left?

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Sir Charles was right ... that was an ass whooping!

War Wagle !

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Alabama is still in the playoff pic.

Are you going to put a 2 loss OSU Team in ahead of Bama?

A 1 loss OKU ? (assuming they beat TCU)

I was wondering the same thing, but it stands to reason, you've got to win your conference to be in the playoff. Right? Miss. State had them beat last week too, but got too conservative.

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

My oldest son and his two kids on the Jumbotron at the Iron Bowl. (Right picture)

RMD

How cool is THAT!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Immediate problem for AU is we're down three running backs. Time will tell who can go if anyone.

RMD

Yes that is going to be their demise I bet.

Plus the AU coach firing up UGa with his comments...

They may have spent their load.

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Sure, Bama isn't OUT of the playoffs, but they are no longer a "sure thing". Especially since they were beat handily last night and really didn't have their shit together in the end with all the miscues and such. It's their last game before the selection and they didn't remotely appear to be a champion quality team.

They need LOTS of help and then still need to trust in the Committee's Ouija Board process to get an available spot, because 2 of the spots, maybe 3 are already taken - winner of Clemson / Miami is in, as well as the winner of Auburn / Georgia. And if WI and OU win, that'll be the 4 IMO.

I think Bama would be best served by an Auburn that destroys Georgia next week and (obviously) losses by WI and OU.

It ain't over for Bama, but they are just another team in the mix at this point.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
it stands to reason, you've got to win your conference to be in the playoff. Right?

One would think so, but that's using logic and reason - two elements that rarely are tapped to decide things in the sporting world.

See last year's playoffs as exhibit one, where despite not winning their division, tOSU advanced to the playoffs . . . because??? (Where they were immediately smoke-checked by Clemson, and sent home with a total playoff score of 0 points.)

The system is rigged. I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see Alabama get in over the winner of the SEC championship game, no matter who that is.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
I was wondering the same thing, but it stands to reason, you've got to win your conference to be in the playoff. Right?

How could a team that didn't win its conference be a national champion? Doesn't make logical sense. So it doesn't make sense to put a conference also-ran into the playoffs, IMO.

Unless someone thinks redefining 'national champion' to mean 'champion of everywhere but in the home conference' would somehow be good for the sport?

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

Unless someone thinks redefining 'national champion' to mean 'champion of everywhere but in the home conference' would somehow be good for the sport?

Precedent.

This is not a discriminator for other sports. (no dog in this fight...)

I agree with you in principle though, esp. in the case of only 4 teams making it to the playoff.

But we are so new to the play-off format there are bound to be new standards / considerations made over the coming years.

---------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I was wondering the same thing, but it stands to reason, you've got to win your conference to be in the playoff. Right?

How could a team that didn't win its conference be a national champion? Doesn't make logical sense. So it doesn't make sense to put a conference also-ran into the playoffs, IMO.

No - only if all conferences were equal would that make sense. The committee is charged with getting the 4 best teams into a playoff, period. A team with 3 or 4 losses could easily win a conference championship, especially in one of the weaker conferences. That is undeniably true, so unless you have some type of round robin tournament you have to consider all factors, not just 'winning a conference'.

While I'm an Alabama fan, I'm consistent on this and don't know if I would consider Bama in the top 4 - just have to wait til the season is over and evaluate it then. Conference championship is definitely one criteria, but not the only one or necessarily the most important, depending on the conference.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
One lady’s account of an Auburn-Alabama game.
Enjoy

Link

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
quote:

No - only if all conferences were equal would that make sense. The committee is charged with getting the 4 best teams into a playoff, period. A team with 3 or 4 losses could easily win a conference championship, especially in one of the weaker conferences. That is undeniably true, so unless you have some type of round robin tournament you have to consider all factors, not just 'winning a conference'.

While I'm an Alabama fan, I'm consistent on this and don't know if I would consider Bama in the top 4 - just have to wait til the season is over and evaluate it then. Conference championship is definitely one criteria, but not the only one or necessarily the most important, depending on the conference.

This only hurts Alabama as this year the SEC is way down, both East and West sides. Look at all the coaching vacancies that hit just today and its easy to say that the SEC is not what it once was.

Posts: 680 | Location: East of the Rockies | Registered: October 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Duck - we were there, somehow missed that picture popping up. I would have probably been distracted for a solid 10 minutes thinking "How the hell do I know that name??", so just as well.

Great game, fun one to be at!!

WDE

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post