SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nebraska Flooding—Update: The Economic Cost to All of Us, Page 2
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nebraska Flooding—Update: The Economic Cost to All of Us, Page 2 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the photos. I actually have been hearing a lot about it on NPR the last couple of days, so they at least have been covering it, but I had no idea of the magnitude.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I hunt in SD each year and spend a couple of days driving through many of these NE towns. I feel so sorry for these hard working people.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
What a tragedy. Our local stations have been covering this pretty good. Many of those pics I had seen watching the coverage.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Wow - looks like a tough road to recovery there. I am one of those that had no idea things were that bad in NE.

We have some friends in Valparaiso, NE and called to see how they’re doing. “Fine”, they said.

The wife mentioned that media coverage of the flooding has been kind of sparse, and that a lot of folks don’t know how bad it’s been.

Our friend replied “That’s fine. In fact, I think I like it that way.”

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
And all that water will be coming to us in Baton Rouge. And the Mississippi it over full now

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah. They are getting hit hard south and west of me. Here in the extreme NE corner of NE my city has been pretty lucky so far.

We got slammed hard in the flood of 2011.

Those people ( volunteers, police, fire, rescue,etc...) are working their butts off. God bless them. Almost forgot the National Guard troops that have been ferrying food and supplies and the chopper pilots doing amazing rescues!!

On another note the animal rescues have been amazing. Floating boats up to house windows and getting cats and dogs out along with horses and cattle and I am sure hogs. Out west they had to un-bury cattle and calves that looked like they got caught under an avalanche. Saw some pics of a Trooper that freed a calf that was frozen to the ground and snow.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Called Cylinder and Slide on Thursday to order some springs for a well used Hi Power that just followed me home. Spoke with a nice woman who mentioned that there had been some flooding. Now I see Fremont is the “island” that’s been mentioned. Wishing them all well.

Posts: 444 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Heard back from my Cousin. There is some flooding of his farm and he's stuck at home for a few days (road closures). His house is a couple of feet above ground so may be OK.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tanner, both links are great

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
http://ncn21.com/state-news/no...-it-did-during-wwii/

And...

https://www.omaha.com/weather/...99-e4c684a97ee8.html

Nebraska is good people. Help as you can.

Thanks for these links. The more I learn about Nebraska, the more I like it.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
until a lot of money is spent on a lot of dredging , it's gonna get worse .
70 years of silt in the tributaries does a lot to
spread out the water.

they had many news stories on this as far back as the 60's.

levee's are not the answer, dams are not the answer.

8 mill per year by NE, IA,and IL would have gone a long way twords fixing this problem in the upper mississippi valley

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nebraska Governor Pete Ricketts started off his press conference Wednesday morning by acknowledging a sobering fact.

"This is the most widespread natural disaster we've ever had in our state," he said from the podium in his hearing room at the state capitol.

As of Wednesday morning, 85 cities, 77 counties, and four tribal areas in Nebraska had emergency declarations. The declarations cover more than 80 percent of the state.

Overview of Flooding by Nebraska Governor Ricketts

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
This video just made my morning. Five young girls jumping, waving, and asking the truck drives to blow their air horns as load after load of hay and fencing materials is brought to Nebraska. The sign on the back of the hay loads reads:
"Pay it forward. Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas to Nebraska"

Here are loads from Wisconsin:

I've seen pictures of loads coming from Iowa, Montana, and Missouri, and a large convoy from Ohio! One farmer in Ohio who donated hay said his dad told him, "A person doesn't have to live next to you to be your neighbor."

Safe to say that hay and fencing materials have been, or are being sent to Nebraska from all over the country.

Rural America Strong!

One more. Justin Timberlake was in Omaha just a few days ago.

posted Hide Post
Being from Nebraska, this put a lump in my throat.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
That's awesome! God bless this country. Way to go 'fly over states' and the people that live there.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
There's a farmer just north of me that started collecting items to fill his enclosed trailer for the families in Nebraska. So much came in that a local distributor donated a semi trailer, driver, and fuel. I didn't hear the total in the caravan, but the farmer thought they'd have about a dozen various sized trucks/trailers heading out Wednesday night.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
I live in Norfolk, we got spared by our flood control system. It used to flood every year here and they installed the system in the 1965. There are people I work with that walk 2 miles to get to the neighbors. Then the neighbors let them borrow vehicles to get to work.

As far as help with cleanup or a place to stay all you do is say the word and multiple people step up to help.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jezsuiz:
I live in Norfolk, we got spared by our flood control system. It used to flood every year here and they installed the system in the 1965. There are people I work with that walk 2 miles to get to the neighbors. Then the neighbors let them borrow vehicles to get to work.

As far as help with cleanup or a place to stay all you do is say the word and multiple people step up to help.

Glad you are OK neighbor. I hear that in areas not to far from you some people and property got hammered.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
If you have a freezer, it would probably be a good idea to keep watching for bargains—especially in beef, maybe pork as well.

“As many as a million calves lost in Nebraska”— beef prices to escalate dramatically in the coming months.

Link