SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nebraska Flooding—Update: The Economic Cost to All of Us, Page 2
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nebraska Flooding—Update: The Economic Cost to All of Us, Page 2 Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
I understand that the flooding in Nebraska has received little national attention. The cynic in me says this is for two reasons:
No one in MSM headquarters gives a shit about Nebraska;
There are no reports of looting--at all, in evacuated areas of the state. Just good people helping good people as best they can. James Wilke, a Columbus, NE farmer died two days ago trying to help his neighbors. He responded to a call for equipment to help in rescue operations. Wilke was directed to drive his tractor over a bridge crossing Shell Creek. The bridge collapsed and Wilke was lost in the flood waters.

Nebraskans have helped others in time of emergency. Panhandle Texas wildfires of just a few years ago is just one example. Good Americans, like some of those same Texas ranchers, have responded in kind. There was an account of a young man from Houston who lost everything in the flood of 2016. He was working next to a Nebraska man in Columbus. He said, "Although people tried, I lost everything; maybe I can help save some things for others."

I didn't ask para about fund raising, so I will not post any link for it. Suffice to say, if you want to help, there are ways.

There are about 50 head of cattle stranded on this little island in the Platte River near Fremont. There are others like this.

Norfolk is where Johnny Carson grew up.

The hell of it is that spring high water is not even here yet. This was a combination of several inches of rain leading up to last weeks "bomb cyclone" (that so many found amusing because of the name). The storm brought blizzard conditions to N Colorado, central and SE WY, SD, and western NE. Rain to eastern NE, western IA, and NW MO. The problem with the heavy precipitation was compounded by ice jams in the rivers and streams.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing these photos. Living next to a river is pretty most of the time and the center of nature's social environment but sooner or later we get caught! It will take years to heal!

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
It's bad... and very widespread:

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
You're right about the MSN not covering this disaster very well. Fox has been staying on top of it. They just had a segment that mentioned that a town is surrounded by water and is basically an island and supplies are being airlifted in by small private aircraft. Amazing!!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Chellim, I don’t know how to respond to that map you posted. The focus of the map seems to be east of Nebraska. The small portion of Nebraska shown indicates heavy flooding only on the Missouri. Those pictures I posted are not from along the Missouri, but all over the eastern half of Nebraska. Does that look like “minor flooding” to you?!? I don’t want to diminish the suffering of others, but if you do a search for something like “flooding as a result of bomb cyclone March 2019,” all the stories I see are from Nebraska. Same shit, different day.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
The Spencer Dam failure was pretty remarkable too. Thankfully the basin it backed up wasn't more substantial.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk34O-e9jGo

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Offutt AFB is badly flooded too. I can’t link pics right now but they are pretty much out of operation for awhile.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Nebraska has over 7900 linear miles of rivers. More than any other state. Damn near every one in the eastern half of the state is flooding the surrounding areas. Offutt is doing O.K. They face Tyndall-like damages though when the water recedes.

Say a prayer for NE and IA if that is within your belief system.

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20320 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
...They just had a segment that mentioned that a town is surrounded by water and is basically an island and supplies are being airlifted in by small private aircraft. Amazing!!

Jim

Fremont:

https://fremonttribune.com/new...07-72724b5aacc7.html

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post

Link to Interview with Trooper Dan Klimek

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

posted Hide Post
My dad is originally from Nebraska - have a lot of relatives out there.

I spoke with a cousin this morning - they are north of Fremont - all OK in their area as the town appears to have protection on all sides. I have an aunt and some cousins over by Columbus that I need to contact today to check with them.

An NPR interview this morning said that Fremont was an island due to the flooding. My cousin said that might have been early on, but they were able to drive there for dinner on Sunday, and trucks are able to get in and out at this time.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nebraska is my home state.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
No one in MSM headquarters gives a shit about Nebraska

But they were all over that dam in California that failed I recall. Nonstop.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Nebraska is my home state.

As you may have guessed, mine too.

SigSAC, I have family in the same area as you: Columbus, Schuyler, David City, Brainard, as well as Bancroft, Raymond, Lincoln, and Omaha.

Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
My parents live outside of St. Joseph, Mo along the river. They are good right now, but they are saying this one is worse than 1993, which was a record flood.

I went back and helped clean up in 93 and will do the same after this one. All I can say is I would rather see a place burned down than flooded.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

Interview with Trooper Dan Klimek

This. Like they say about Texas, I wasn't born here but I got here as fast as I could. Our new state motto: "Nebraska. It's not for everyone." It fits. Good Viking stock out here, and some of my ancestor's bones. The prairie tempers a man, like iron.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
SigSAC, I have family in the same area as you: Columbus, Schuyler, David City, Brainard, as well as Bancroft, Raymond, Lincoln, and Omaha.

My family is primarily around Omaha, Lincoln, Hooper, Scribner, and Columbus. There is a house in Scribner that my dad built by hand around 1950 (since enlarged by later owners), and there is a church near the Dodge and Cuming County lines that my grandfather helped build (and where numerous relatives are buried).

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Offutt AFB is badly flooded too. I can’t link pics right now but they are pretty much out of operation for awhile.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-wa...aircraft-is-flooding

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have a Cousin in the corner of Missouri adjacent to Nebraska and Iowa--he can see Nebraska from his farm. When the Missouri floods it often floods his farm. I have inquired about whether he has been impacted by the current flood but haven't heard back yet. I know from news reports that Big Lake near his farm has been evacuated, though.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow - looks like a tough road to recovery there. I am one of those that had no idea things were that bad in NE.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post