SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Storing a 'get home' bag in a hatchback?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Storing a 'get home' bag in a hatchback? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I drive a 2016 Mazda CX-5 hatchback, and I'd like to store a 'get home' bag somewhere in the car so it's available in an emergency. Any suggestions on how to stow and secure this equipment? I know I won't be able to defeat a determined thief, but if I could deter the smash-and-grab guys, I'd be happy.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
Hide it or disguise it. I keep one in my compact SUV and the rear hatch has a cover so nobody can see it when the rear gate is shut.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least in my outback, I can store stuff around my spare tire. Out of sight out of mind. Not ideal since you have to spend time putting the stuff into the bag.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
If your hatchback doesn't have one of those retractable covers, try a blanket that matches the carpet and trim in the rear area and just lay it across whatever is in the back. Between that and even moderately tinted windows, it would be quite difficult to see anything back there, and combined with the after-the-fact protection of insurance, I think you'll be fine. That with a safe that's bolted down for a handgun or two is about the best you can get in that scenario.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Take a sheet, sew what looks like dirty underpants, rotten sox and something else you wouldn't want to touch with your bare skin. Top it off with a jock strap. Congrats you now have a ghille suit for your bag.

Then run a cable through the bag to the carseat tie down, So the bag is tied down. That is about all you can do.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
the easy solution would be tint the windows, there's a bunch of other benefits as well

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
IMHO guardianangel762 has the right idea; camo VS cover. A lot of smash the back window and grab a-holes think a cover/dark titnted widows are hiding the "good stuff". Why not break the back hatch window and have a look see.

The camo is visible and a turnoff. I would also glue some burger wrappers and empty drink cups on the dark sheet.

Posts: 4030 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Cover it in job applications.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
My cousin made a wooden box out of plywood, carpeted it to match the interior, bolted it down and put a lock on it. He keeps his gun in it when he can't carry in certain locations.

Its in the back of a vw hatchback and unless you open the hatch and start inspecting the trunk, you wouldn't even know its not factory, or there.

If you need a fast go bag you could make one big enough for a smaller or midsized bag. It would be nice because its hard mounted, so when you use your trunk for other things you don't have to worry about moving a bag around, crushing whats in the bag, spillage, or things like that. It's effectively part of the trunk space.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4789 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
My cousin made a wooden box out of plywood, carpeted it to match the interior, bolted it down and put a lock on it. He keeps his gun in it when he can't carry in certain locations.

Its in the back of a vw hatchback and unless you open the hatch and start inspecting the trunk, you wouldn't even know its not factory, or there.

If you need a fast go bag you could make one big enough for a smaller or midsized bag. It would be nice because its hard mounted, so when you use your trunk for other things you don't have to worry about moving a bag around, crushing whats in the bag, spillage, or things like that. It's effectively part of the trunk space.

know a guy that did this with his suv,
just a board cut and carpeted with the same color as his interior,
it just slides in the back on a set of legs,

keeps his high power gear under it (rifle, stool, ammo, scope) without anyone knowing it is back there

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my Trax, I tossed the useless (IMHO) donut tire and used the compartment for hidden storage. Surprisingly roomy.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Cover it in job applications.

LMFAO!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Either under the carpet in the hatchback where the spare tire is, or tucked under the rear seat.....so it's out of sight.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
IMHO guardianangel762 has the right idea; camo VS cover. A lot of smash the back window and grab a-holes think a cover/dark titnted widows are hiding the "good stuff". Why not break the back hatch window and have a look see.

The camo is visible and a turnoff. I would also glue some burger wrappers and empty drink cups on the dark sheet.

^This. An old, well worn athletic bag and dirty, ruffled athletic wear as a shell over your goodies.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to buy the locking add a trunk feature, you can build one as many other posters have said. Not super difficult.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Buy some diapers, roll them up like they have been used and toss them around the car. No one will go in your car. And you have super bandages!

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I tinted my windows (3M Crystalline 20%). Visual privacy as well as a little messy for smash and grab.

I have a black pet seat cover that is used for cover. Attached to the rear of the back seat and extended toward the rear hatch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm looking at getting a Knaack box or something similar installed in the back (removable if I want to haul stuff).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...&smid=A3492A4RFALDQG

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Buy some diapers, roll them up like they have been used and toss them around the car. No one will go in your car. And you have super bandages!

True enough! I went on a res burg some a couple of years back and the bad guys tossed his house pretty well. As I met him at the door the victim was pretty happy. He advised me that they had taken a bunch of stuff but he was sure his hand gun was safe. I asked him how he knew this and he smiled. He went on to tell me that he hides his hand gun in his dirty laundry basket. Sure enough he was correct his gun was right where he left it.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These type things come in handy. The back is covered in Velcro so it will stick to carpet covered seat backs and trunk liners. This one is by G. Outdoors Products.

Posts: 1988 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colby Bruce:
These type things come in handy. The back is covered in Velcro so it will stick to carpet covered seat backs and trunk liners. This one is by G. Outdoors Products.

Brilliant!

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post