SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NYC is a warning -- the blackout is coming
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NYC is a warning -- the blackout is coming Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Anyone who lives near large cities containing large numbers of people on public assistance, be warned: If the grid goes down for a couple of months, over a large enough area, like the Eastern seaboard, there will be mayhem after just a few weeks. Imagine no {everything in the corner bodega} after a few days. No cash, no EBT, no fuel, sporadic public transportation. They will be coming for your rice and beans, your whiskey, wine, and women. Lethal force is a justifiable response to arson of an occupied structure and mayhem. When the gangs think they will clear an occupied structure by starting a fire, protect without prejudice.

Thank God for standing-pilot atmosphere venting water heaters and gravity-flow water distribution systems. On well water? Solar backup or generator. Or a 1500 gallon tank on stilts in the shed will provide limited gravity-flow water.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Just another survival tip

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
This was nothing more than an equipment failure.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
The coverage was absurd, two full days. No one outside of NYC gives a shit about NYC.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
The coverage was absurd, two full days. No one outside of NYC gives a shit about NYC.

This news "event" was the equivalent to online clickbait. A cheap, easy way to garner eyeballs.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Not a big deal out here in the country. If I can source gasoline, I can live a long time. And I don't need that much gas. Run the gen to run the well pump, run the gen to recharge the fridges.

That's only a couple of gallons per day at most. Will it be inconvenient, and somewhat uncomfortable in summer? Hell yes it will. But I'll have water, my food won't spoil, and I can cook.

In addition, I have bought cheap, stacked deep, and am surrounded by folks who think like I do and have largely done the same.

I wouldn't want to be in a big city, and from the perspective of a big city, that panicky article makes some sense. But it's bullshit out here. And I'm not all that far out.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't realize it was only 72K people.

The reporting on this issue sucked, I believe that's actually 72k customers.
Which in that section of NYC would be a lot more that 72k people. 1 customer might be a household of 5, or a multistory building...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I was amused by this reporting on the blackout.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/15/...during-power-outage/

Democrat political fratricide. Keep it up boys.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Yeah, right. Note that our grid is below ground. Blackouts are much rarer than in areas where the lines run above ground and are routinely taken out by tree limbs.

Note how man people here talk about wanting, getting, and using backup generators, because blackouts are somewhat routine in storms. That isn't an issue here.

quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
The problem with the NY City electrical grip is that it's ancient and ineffective. This is not the first time and it won't be the last they suffer these blackouts.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
If you really want to have your socks scared off read "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen.

If that's not enough then read the rest of the trilogy; "One Year After" and "The Final Day."

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
After Harvey, my neighborhood didn't have power for two weeks. Somehow there wasn't mass hysteria and blood running in the streets.

Most of Houston was without power for at least a few days.

What is your population density? I'm guessing it's not 30,000+ per square mi?. Major cities rely on a lot of shit going right 98% of the time to function.

Sorry, I misspoke. I meant Ike, not Harvey.

Houston is not especially dense, but the greater Houston area still has seven million people.

After Ike, more than two million homes and businesses were without power in the Houston area, most for days or weeks. Literally 99% of Centerpoint Energy's (the power grid operator) end users in Houston were without power.

The article in the OP is about an outage that affected 73,000 people for a much shorter amount of time, and it is using it as an example to raise awareness about blackouts in general, not blackouts exclusively in NYC. The outage in Houston after Ike was literally almost 100 times that size.

We had no power for 2 weeks with Ike. Luckily I had friends with generators.

No power for 3 days with Harvey (and luckily, no flooding).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I can skin a buck and run a trotline......

Unless you do it Tonto style, NY wants to take away your ability to do even that.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
If a blackout hits for an extended period, say 15 years, I'm going to carve out a section of Pennsylvania into my own PASig Republic and rule with an iron fist at my HQ in Philly, surrounded by hordes of militiamen with muskets...oh wait, that's the TV series Revolution! Big Grin

Posts: 33809 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I've lost power 7 times since November. November was 8 days! Most are 1 to 6 hours. I live a 10 minute WALK from a Mall. A McDonalds, three banks. A Grocery store, churches, hundreds, maybe thousands of houses. NOT in the sticks. In suburbia.

I bought a tiny generator. I'll be ok for a few weeks if need be..

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the added bonus is de Blah-zio is getting some grief for conveniently being absent after calling out his predecessor about being AWOL
Smile

its so much fun to see them being cannibalistic

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Numbers, numbers. Me too, back during Ike, our electricity went down. So my wife and I got in my jeep and drove out to the plant, just to check on it. The intrusion alarm was sounding. Seems like the locals didn't much care, they had folks to check on, not companies. So I went in and shut the alarm off (annoying). Checked the alarm log and found the lightly used garage was the culprit. So we drove around and discovered the doors were all ajar. Terrible. I opened them and discovered nothing amiss, so I closed them. Then reset the alarm, called the locals and told them, then the owner figuring he'd care. Not really. So I figured I was the fool for caring.

So I drove home to discover our power was still out. Then it came back on, no big deal. Total time out was 3 hours. That was over a decade ago. No problems since.

I feel so left out.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Ever since we got the backup generator to the off grid solar system that drives the house dialed in (about 13 1/2 years ago), power issues at the house have been very rare. The few that have cropped up have been easily fixed in minutes.

PG&E power driving the main entry gate, the barn, and the wells has been an entirely different ball of wax. This year was particularly bad with a bumper crop of wild turkeys roosting in the oak trees on the ridge just south of the lines, the flying down into the field and running into one leg knocking it into another and blowing the fuses for both phases. For a while there we were running two to three outages a week and got on a first name basis with all four of the local troublemen. Finally they convinced corporate to reframe the line, installing kingpins to raise the center leg four feet above the other two. The coyotes are bummed because they aren’t getting any more fried turkey, but it is nice to have gone a while without a utility outage.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Well, you could buy some land in rural Arizona, invest in solar, buy several large water storage tanks and get started.

Seems there is a member here who has a handle on that.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post