SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Jersey sues Sig
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Jersey sues Sig Login/Join 
posted
http://www.guns.com/2017/05/18...-over-pistol-defect/

My 229 is fine. No issues. Is it the Jersey Boys?

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Give me a break. What could be wrong with the P229?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Probably just a bunch of limp-wristed New Jerseyites who don't know how to shoot.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Dept spent at least 10 years with the 229. No problems.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
It does sound like SIG finally got to the root of the problem, but too late to retain the confidence of NJSP.

If both the original "Legacy" short extractor guns and "Enhanced Elite" long extractor guns were both suffering the same failure-to-extract, a "sticky" barrel would likely be the next culprit.

However, if it was a bad batch of bbls, wouldn't this problem have shown up in non-NJSP guns? The article mentions a coating on the barrel but doesn't say what that coating is or if it's something NJSP specifically requested for their guns or if it's the default finish on all SIG duty/carry/non-stainless pistol bbls.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Give me a break. What could be wrong with the P229?

Did you actually read the article?

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
My Dept spent at least 10 years with the 229. No problems.

These are a new batch of guns.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Did ANYONE read the article besides LDD?

Look, nobody is saying that the P229 is an inferior design--don't get your panties in a bunch. The NJSP originally picked the P229 for the contract because they wanted to like the gun.

From the article, it's obviously a manufacturing error. But when it takes OVER A YEAR to diagnose and fix the problem on a multi-million dollar contract, then fuck it, I would cancel the contract and go with a competitor too.

posted Hide Post
Yes I read it. And I would like to see exactly how NJSP spec'd out the guns. Meeting those specs may have caused design variations not present in the standard designs and problems ensued.
However, if that is case, then Sig should not have taken the contract.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Later, the department awarded the contract to Glock.

Sooner or later... you will own a Glock.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
13121 your NJSP 228 is junk, please send to me for destruction.

Whatever the cause, that was way, way to long to fix the problem. SIG f-ed up, refund the money, fix the problem, sell as CPO and eat the difference.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Planet Earth should sue New Jersey.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107579 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Later, the department awarded the contract to Glock.

Sooner or later... you will own a Glock.

Haha nope. I've been resisting successfully for over a decade and have shot 5 models so far. Every pistol I own is a SIG.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

But they've got real Italian food there! And Bruce Springsteen! It makes up for all the rest of it, but only if you're from there. Jersey is awesome!

I wonder where the true fault lies. All that work to correct the problem and it never got corrected. Can't all be user error, I wonder if the NJSP included some special specs for their pistols. Perhaps related to the ammo they issue?

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The armpit of America

Posts: 107579 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Whatever the cause, that was way, way to long to fix the problem. SIG f-ed up, refund the money, fix the problem, sell as CPO and eat the difference.
It's 12131 dude. Somewhere, there's a NIB P228 with that serial number. Probably belonged to JP Sauer himself. Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
The FAMS just went through a big issue with theirs, there's definitely been issues.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

But they've got real Italian food there! It makes up for all the rest of it, but only if you're from there.

Yeah, don't be an out-of-stater just driving through with unregistered cannoli in your trunk, and pull off to text your girl friend.

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Too bad to hear of this. I bought my sister-in-law a P229 years ago and it has had no problems.

There must have been some strange gremlin in those to have so many alleged fixes to no avail.

I am not sure from the article whether it was a few random pistols or nearly all of them. Maybe I missed it.

It does go against the "To Hell and Back" reliability idea. The new slogan of "When it counts" should mean more than it only counts to one. Wink Very unusual for such a proven basic design.

I haven't heard SIG's view of the facts so maybe there is more. On a LEO contract it's hard to believe that SIG would have just left jam-o-matics in the field.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

It's 12131 dude. Somewhere, there's a NIB P228 with that serial number. Probably belonged to JP Sauer himself. Big Grin

Well they can both send me their defective NJSP 228s then.

You try typing on cell phone while sitting on hold on other cell phone with no auto correct.

12131 I'm sorry for the egregious slight. Will you forgive me?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post