SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Collings Foundation B-17 crashed this morning at the airport in Windsor Locks, Connecticut.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Collings Foundation B-17 crashed this morning at the airport in Windsor Locks, Connecticut. Login/Join 
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Thank you for editing the thread title Para. Been in the engine room and hadn’t seen the comments. My apologies.

Posts: 1223 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Sad. I have flown in both the Collings Foundation B-17 and B-24. Great experience.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A tragedy.

I believe the Collings Foundation is/was coming to the Burlington NC airport on the Oct 18th through the 20th.

I have plans to attend if the event is not cancelled.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
very sad news - I've been in that plane several times

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
The conversation betwwen the crew and ATC is up on LiveATC.net if anyone is interested in hearing it. Crew reports #4 engine trouble and requests an immediate clearance to return to airport.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every Memorial Day they fly into my local airport. I live a few blocks south of the landing approach flight path and have seen this plan and others come in slow and low to land as well as when it’s up doing flight tours around the area. It makes me smile to hear these loud birds rumble in. Only imagining what a few hundred would sound like taking to go pound Nazis into submission.

Sad to see it go down. The owners of all the other airworthy ones need to take a step back and re-evaluate.

Prayers for those who died in this crash.

Posts: 4764 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Dad, who flew in B-17's (also 25's and 29's) state side in 44-46 would always comment when we would see them at airshows that they were designed and built to last one mission....maybe 2.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
The conversation betwwen the crew and ATC is up on LiveATC.net if anyone is interested in hearing it. Crew reports #4 engine trouble and requests an immediate clearance to return to airport.

Engine trouble in a radial powered airplane isn't even an emergency: it's an abnormal. In reality, it's a normal.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
blancolirio... 'Juan' Browne, says he will have an update soon.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/IBZSai77xbY

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the same B-17 Nine-O-Nine that that overshot the runway at he Beaver County Pa airport August 23, 1987

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
When I flew in the B17 over Labor Day Weekend, I remember the P51 was having some difficulties getting going. The passenger was in the P51 ($650 for a ride) and the engine seemed to be acting up. As it was going to take off, it pulled over to the side and then mechanics started working on it a bit until it was ready to take off.

I remember thinking that if I was that passenger, I would have been shitting myself. I hope they’re not sacrificing safety for the revenue made to get a ride in these things.

These planes are now 75 years old, and 75 year old technology. When they were new they were cranky, oil dripping, fire breathing, hard starting beasts, etc. The military had airplane mechanics and spare parts to fix them as soon as they landed most of the time.

I would say that it is a VERY remote incident that a pilot that does rides at air shows would take someone up in a plane that they didn't feel was air worthy.

I fly in a WW II T6- Texan sometimes, that my friend/customer has owned for a very long time and maintains meticulously. He is also rated to fly jets etc. He is an excellent pilot and flies formation and other things at air shows such as Sun and Fun. Everytime he fires it up and taxis out of the FBO and around the airport and takes off, EVERYTHING at the airport just stops and everybody stands there and just watches until after he takes off. We took it up and flew around pulling 3 g's and such. The very next time he flew it, he was flying to sun and fun. landed for fuel, took off, and 8 miles out of the airport cracked a cylinder and blew all of the oil out all over the windshield and plane and enroute back to the airport had to belly land it 1/2 a mile from the runway. The plane has been fixed/restored and is flying again. When you have 75 year old metals that have been stressed their entire life, you're going to have a higher failure rate than a new plane.

BUT, keeping these planes in a museum doesn't do them justice. The smiles and experiences this B17 has put on thousands and thousands of peoples faces who've flew on her and the countless people that have walked through her, the memories it's created are priceless. I too did a tour on this B17, and deeply regret since the day the show left, that I didn't pay to go for a ride on her.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU2XXGI_Ke0

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
That's very sad. Every one of those passengers was taking the ride of their life.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
They lost No. 4 engine on climbout. Is that enough to require a return?

EDIT:

"What's the reason for coming back?"
"...is on No. 4 engine. We'd like to return and blow it off."

Fire?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Dammit Dammit DAMMIT!!! We got a company e-mail today that BDL had been re-opened and was closed due to an aircraft incident, but it didn't give any details. Thanks SIGforum for providing the details... Frown Frown

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

EDIT:

Fire?
Require is a strong word. The airplane should be able to climb out on three engines, if nothing else is wrong. However, if the airplane has a fire going on, prudence would dictate getting it back on the ground as quickly as safety allowed.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Apparently that particular B-17 was also a movie star...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16347 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:

EDIT:

Fire?

That has me confused as well. They flew back to home base during the war with 2 engines gone. I wonder if it was a fuel issue.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:

EDIT:

Fire?

That has me confused as well. They flew back to home base during the war with 2 engines gone. I wonder if it was a fuel issue.

Jim

I don't think it was a simple engine loss at this point. At first I thought a fuel issue had knocked out all the engines, as an eyewitness reported hearing the engines "struggle". But the pilot specifically mentioned No. 4 only, and what else would "blow it off" mean but a fire? Also, other eyewitnesses report seeing smoke coming from an engine before the aircraft crashed.

I briefly wondered if it was a chain of events failure (as with most aircraft disasters), like an engine loss combined with a bad flap configuration (as in no flaps). That would send the pilot scrambling for thrust on the remaining engines. But where's there smoke...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."