SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Value of silver after TSHTF?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Value of silver after TSHTF? Login/Join 
posted
If and when the SHTF, attack, EMP, social tyranny, etc. what will be the value of silver. I have some coins hidden for this to buy, trade, etc. just like others. Wonder what it would be worth? Opinions and thoughts. Dollar for dollar or a silver dollar is $20,50,100 an ounce?

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost Allman Brother
Picture of S600MBUSA
posted Hide Post
If the shit has hit the fan so much that the paper USD is useless, why would I take your shiny metal in exchange for items with real, immediate utility like food, water, fuel, and ammo?

-Winston Churchill, writing of the Pashtun

Posts: 3989 | Location: Holly Springs/Canton, GA | Registered: November 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Many are going to say that whiskey and ammo will be MUCH more valuable in that scenario.

Me? I keep shit pots of all three just in case (plus gold). I'll do just fine.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I don't think it will worth much. In true SHTF there will be no markets to set the price. Not only that if I have the antibiotics needed to save your life, than all of your silver and anything else I want is your cost. Right now those antibiotics are worth $5.

If I was going to collect something to trade it would be medicine, life straws, alcohol, ammo, and food that can be stored long term.

Metal is useless without an economy or market place of some sort.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20813 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S600MBUSA:
If the shit has hit the fan so much that the paper USD is useless, why would I take your shiny metal in exchange for items with real, immediate utility like food, water, fuel, and ammo?

Exactly. The whole precious metals thing for just in case purposes makes no sense to me.

Guns, ammo, food, water, medicine.
Fuel too but that is a bit more difficult.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
...why would I take your shiny metal in exchange for items with real, immediate utility like food, water, fuel, and ammo?

Precious metals have had value over "real" items since the dawn of time. Do you think that Lil' Kim knocking out our electrical grid is going to change that?

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If shit does hit the fan?
Then what would anyone use silver for anyway?

Food
Ammo
Water
Guns
Anything that supplies power
^^These would be on my list.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Silver could be worth something during the end of the world...if a few Keith SWC molds are traded with it Wink

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:

If man survives the SHTF scenario, there will eventually be a need for a medium of exchange. Not in the short term, but rather with history being the greatest predictor of what will happen in the future, shiny metal discs - not paper - will be the post apocalyptic currency.

Posts: 3503 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your silver will be worth what the guy offering up goods for barter says it's worth. If he wants all of your silver for a can of tuna you can look elsewhere, starve, or pay up. Maybe you can wait him out if you're confident some semblance of order will be restored in a short period of time. Maybe all of your silver won't be enough the next day. Water, food, shelter, protection before shiny trinkets.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you expect the world to continue to exist in a Mad Max like condition after whatever upsets the apple cart then metals will be worth nothing. If you think that humans will fix whatever problem has come up and the situation is temporary, then they will be worth a lot. Half full or half empty.

Posts: 1795 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yup. Shiny will be totally worthless.
You want to worry about SHTF? Stock up on food, H20, guns & ammo.

Q

Posts: 26342 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Precious metals have a purpose as an investment, or a hedge against inflation. They're potentially handy in a temporary economic crisis, like Weimar Germany/Zimbabwe-style hyperinflation, or a civil war that destabilizes a country's government and banking system.

But worthless in a true apocalyptic societal collapse.

Even more ludicrous is the folks hoarding the XYZ% silver-blend coins in case of the apocalypse.

Like in the middle of an extreme crisis they're actually going to set up a backyard smelter to melt them down, separate the metals, and extract the pure silver? Roll Eyes

Even if you do expend all that time and effort, you've still just managed to turn worthless shiny metal into worthless slightly shinier metal.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Silver and gold is for when civilization starts to come back, not while the F is still flinging the S that hit it.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Precious metals won't be worth anything immediately. Commodities will be the only thing worth bartering as they hold true value. If and when things start normalizing, then your currencies will start to be used again.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chp37
posted Hide Post
Everyone seems to associate precious metals with total collapse of society, systems, organizations. In that case metals will not help much with survival.
The rational folks who invest in these are hedging against mass panic when geopolitical or natural crises occur or are forecast. During the Obama years, SLV rose from about $9.60 to $46 in a relatively brief period. Owners took advantage of this reactive buying and sold at nice profit.
It can't hurt to own some metals as a total SHTF scenario is not required to spike them upward fast.

Posts: 586 | Registered: October 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Exactly. The whole precious metals thing for just in case purposes makes no sense to me.

No doubt.

Add:

toilet paper
tampons
beer / wine / liquor
comfort items like candy, coffee, sugar, etc

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Platinum and silver have some value in chemistry. So would some other metals. If you really want to hedge get the stuff to make artificial fertilizer

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

No doubt.

Add:

toilet paper
tampons
beer / wine / liquor
comfort items like candy, coffee, sugar, etc

------------------------------

Add: Salt

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

THIS. If it truly hit the fan, then it's all going to be the barter system. However, if just the USD hit the fan, then it would be worth whatever silver is worth in another currency/place.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post