SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hot tub cover options
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hot tub cover options Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So we have an old tub. 20+ years. Not sure how long we will have it. Might be over due for a replacement.

The cover is shot and is $300+ to replace. Need to be insulated any thoughts on options. Hate to drop $ 300 and have it croak.

probably know the answer, but

Thanks guys and gals.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
If you use it and get enjoyment from it, get a cover for it. But if you are just waiting for it to "croak", spend some of the $300 on disposal instead I guess.

It's been too cold for me to use mine for the last month. It's below 0 here again and will be a few more days. I am hoping to be able to use mine here soon.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1730 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about lay a couple of these over the tub, and put a large tarp over them, then a cinder block on each corner to hold the tarp down.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Insul...d-Insulation/3014190

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Most hot tubs have a life span of about 10 years.
Our first one went about 7 years and that was a middle of the road quality tub.

Our second one is a rather high end Hot Springs tub and is just hitting 10 years now. It's still going but needs a service call to get one of the features a back hydro massage working again.

As far as covers go I don't know of any options other than paying up for one.
I haven't found one that won't absorb water over time and get heavy. We have to replace ours every 4 or 5 years it seems.

If you know the tub is functional might as well get a cover for it and see how you like it. Use it until it gives up and if you enjoyed it look at new ones. The filtration systems and water maintenance regimens have come a long way.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
This is where I bought my last cover a few years ago. I was very pleased with the service, quality and value.

http://www.beyondnice.com/

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No good option for a replacement cover other than
spring for a new one

$300 is on the low end for a good insulated one

I just said good by to my 20+ Hot Tub this year and am missing it

It needed a cover and a new controller + some other parts and pieces and it had finally reached the point where I figured it wasn't worth putting the money into it.

I figure to start looking in the spring for another one, I hear the new ones start at $4,000 and go up, which was an incentive to keep my old one going as long as I did

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know anything about hot tubs besides the obvious. Is there any way a new cover can be selected that will fit both current and future hot tub?

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikito:
Don't know anything about hot tubs besides the obvious. Is there any way a new cover can be selected that will fit both current and future hot tub?

As long as your new tub is the same dimension as your old tub you're good to go. Most not all dealers will include a cover with any new tub purchase.

$4000 is the very low end on new hot tubs. We were over $8000 when we left the dealer with tax. And that was 10 years ago.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post