SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tomorrow morning, cataract surgery
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tomorrow morning, cataract surgery Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Had both mine done a year ago June. Now my right eye is cloudy again. Going back in a couple weeks. Not sure what's going on. Someone said it's not unusual and they will clean it up with a laser.
I had the same situation. Lazer does the trick.

Glad to hear it went well Rightwire it really is a pretty basic procedure and should be no reason for stress for those needing it.

Anyhow my couple weeks for the laser turned into being today. They called yesterday to remind me of my appointment. For some reason I thought it was closer to Thanksgiving. My eye doc can do the laser right in his office. Probably less than a half hour from when I walked in to when I walked out with dang near perfect vision again. Really cleaned up the cloudiness in my right eye and he touched up the left one as well. Entirely painless.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Rightwire, glad you hear you're on the mend! Sounds like everything went well and the results are obvious. Take care and heal up!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
I just had cataract surgery in both eyes two months ago. I had sub capsular cataracts, not the normal kind. Same surgery though.

I got Light Adjustable Lenses. They can actually change the shape of the lens inside your eye once it heals up. I waited almost three weeks, then had weekly eye exams and adjustments. They tuned my astigmatism out, and I ended up with 20/15 vision overall (better than normal).

It's crazy how easy and pain free the surgery was. Had to wear safety glasses for 8 weeks afterwards to block out UV light though.

Hope you heal up well!

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rightwire,

Really glad to hear that all went well. You're going to start noticing that photos are much more fun to look at cuz you can see the detail. Congrats, your life just got better!

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Glad to read that you're on the mend. Hopefully people will be back to flinging hockey pucks at you soon.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear your procedure went well. Smile

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
What type of lenses did you all have installed?

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I might be next. I'll find out Thursday

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:

they do give you a mild sedative
That's optional. They offered Valium. I declined, I do not do well with tranquilizers, sedatives, etc.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I had my right (dominant) eye done in the beginning of Nov.
I was offered the choice of the standard (no extra cost) lens or the "high tech" lens that would be an additional $3000 out of pocket.
Since it was my dominant eye I decided on the "high Tech" lens.
After surgery I have a fog in the eye.
When the Doctor tests my vision she finds nothing wrong and tells me I contradict myself by testing with sharp vision but complaining of looking through a fog.
I worked as a commercial photographer for over 25 years. Most of that time was looking through an 8x10 view camera at upside down images hooded with a dark cloth. Stopping down a lens to F=90 and looking on the ground glass with a lupe to check sharpness and field of view. Looking at images through some of the best German and Japanese lens ever made,I know what sharpness looks like.
Things in the right eye are sharp but like with a fog filter.Going outside into the sun is a nightmare.
Three trips back to the Doctor has got me nowhere near a resolution. The Doctor does not mention anything about a laser treatment to cure this.
Guess I need to find another Doctor to take a look.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:

The Doctor does not mention anything about a laser treatment to cure this.
I don't think that's your problem. I believe that you are talking about a YAG capsulotomy, which is not normally needed, if it is needed, until quite some time after the original cataract treatment. Mine showed up a year or two ofter the cataract surgery / lens implant.

Yeah, it does sound to me like you need a second opinion.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I decided on the "high Tech" lens.
After surgery I have a fog in the eye.

You most likely have a multifocal IOL, which work like a bifocal contact - simultaneous vision. You're looking through the distance correction and near (about 2.5 diopters difference) at the same time. It's "sharp" due to the light passing through the distance portion but foggy from diffusion through the near portion. It's a design "feature" not a "bug" and as such isn't fixable except by replacing the multifocal IOL with a single focal length version, which most likely isn't possible this far out after surgery. Alphagan drops may help by constricting your pupil, covering some of the near portion of the IOL. Although multifocal IOL's are improving I still advise people who are critical about their vision (8x10 photogs for example) to stick to single vision IOL's set for infinity and use glasses for close up.

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
OMG!!

Thanks for the help!

posted Hide Post
Anymore it’s a 20 minute procedure, the prep will take longer. Good luck.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
I see this is an old thread revived but it's timely and relevant for me. I had my left eye done on Monday.

My cataracts had been getting worse for a few years but really seemed to be getting worse over the last year.

I went with the highest $ option which is a PanOptix (trifocal?) lens and so far (day 3) I'm thrilled. Went in for the followup yesterday and it tested at 20/20. I'm seeing the computer monitor, TV, clocks and calenders with amazing clarity now. For the first time in my life my left eye is the strong eye. I haven't tried highway driving yet. Night time driving will be the real test for me.

Planning to have the right eye done in 2 weeks. I'm excited about the new quality of life this procedure is going to provide me.

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2270 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Since the thread was dug up again I'll give an update.

I'm a little over 6 mos., post Op. Vision in my right eye is excellent. For most things I no longer need readers and my distance vision is more than good enough. They thought the best they'd get me, leaving me slightly myopic was 20/30. I'm around 20/25. Left eye will have to be done at some point but given my age they are trying to push it off.

I had an appt., last week. All looked good, the lens is right where it is should be and vision is good. The odd thing is that with either eye individually, not great, together, almost perfect. Go figure.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post