SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    e.f.i. cleaner ,older vehicle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

e.f.i. cleaner ,older vehicle Login/Join 
posted
My Buick has 88,000 miles on it and I almost put injector cleaner in it.

I thought that I better ask here first.

Should I wait till symptoms arise , and then add it
(don't fix it if it ain't broke)

or should I add it before any prospective problems come up?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
An occasional addition of something like Chevron Techron or BG 44K won't hurt anything and may prevent problems. Also of help is using so-called Top Tier gas (do a search), which has more detergents, and no ethanol over 10% (E10). If you wait until there are problems, and they are actually caused by clogged injectors, they may need more serious repairs.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Yep, Techron or BG-44K would be fine. I was always told once per oil change only.

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the previous owner used in it for fuel, but I have only used regular ( non E gas)

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I don't know what the previous owner used in it for fuel, but I have only used regular ( non E gas)
Are you sure? I checked pure-gas.org for your area and only came up with 89 or 91 octane for ethanol free.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the only place that carries it is the Hy-Vee gas station in the quad cities and BP , here in orion

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also of help is using so-called Top Tier gas (do a search), which has more detergents,

This. I'm pretty sure "Hy-Vee" won't be on that list. Nor will Kum&Go, Bubbas Oil, etc.

BP definitely is.

http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Lucas. I've had it open plugged injectors. I use it occasionally as a maintenance additive.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always had luck with marvel mystery oil.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have put close to 400,000 miles, collectively, on my fuel-injected cars and trucks and have actually never added anything to my fuel. But mine are driven daily with plenty of time to warm up; one car accounted for half those miles all by itself.

Have you changed the external fuel filter yet? It has one, underneath by the gas tank. Most newer cars have done away with them; the only filtration is the "sock" on the fuel pump, which is in the tank.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
My Buick has 88,000 miles on it and I almost put injector cleaner in it.

I thought that I better ask here first.

Should I wait till symptoms arise , and then add it
(don't fix it if it ain't broke)

or should I add it before any prospective problems come up?

Techron or Redline brand cleaner in a tank before every oil change. And ignore the idiots at the counter of Autozone who try to sell you some Lucas crap while you checkout.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put some 'Sea Foam' in your gas tank.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
Yep, Techron or BG-44K would be fine. I was always told once per oil change only.

And, it's best to do it in the tank before you have the oil changed. Techron is very good stuff.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Big fan of Techron, use it before the oil change. Doing it for years.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using Techron for more years than I can remember. I buy it 4 bottle(case) at a time.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Costco has it for $9.00 off of a for a six pack,

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Techron or BG-44

This is what I would use.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Techron or Redline brand cleaner in a tank before every oil change. And ignore the idiots at the counter of Autozone who try to sell you some Lucas crap while you checkout.

The Redline Fuel System Cleaner is the best I have ever used. You can see a 10 percent improvement in gas mileage.

Pep Boys and O.G. Racing in Sterling is the only ones that sell it around here. O.G. Racing shows a price of $11.95 for 15 ounce bottle.

http://www.ogracing.com/red-li...-system-cleaner-15oz

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
The primary active ingredient in Redline SI-1, Techron Concentrate Plus, BG44K, and Lucas Fuel injector cleaner is peretheramine, or PEA in relatively high concentrations. PEA is well documented and highly effective. Anything else is snake oil, IMO.

Do not confuse Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner, the product you want in the black bottle, with Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner. They are different products.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post