SIGforum
Tigerlady Self-Defense Claw

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/9200030154

December 18, 2018, 05:05 PM
olfuzzy
Tigerlady Self-Defense Claw
I can see this as being a passable (maybe) defense if you have an opportunity to quickly exit the area but it's seems like it would really piss off a bad guy.

Meet TigerLady - a revolutionary discreet self-defense tool modeled after a cat's retractable claws.

This ergonomic, hand-held claw can go with you anywhere. Made of high-impact plastic, TigerLady's defensive claws emulate those of the big cats from which they get their name. Channels on the underside of the claws are designed to capture DNA so you don't have to see your assailant to make a positive ID.

Put the strap around your wrist and hold TigerLady in your hand before walking to your car or to the subway. Make sure you have it when you leave the club and when you're waiting for the bus. Just the act of holding TigerLady in your hand will ensure that you have a heightened sense of your surroundings, making you feel less vulnerable and more confident.

https://www.tigerlady.com/prod...-s-self-defense-tool
December 18, 2018, 05:12 PM
walkinghorse
Answer looking for a question?

Jim
December 18, 2018, 05:30 PM
BurtonRW
An improvement on the fist of keys technique.

I bought one for Mrs.BurtonRW and she’s glad to carry it on walks.

I was favorably impressed with the quality of its construction.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A
December 18, 2018, 05:34 PM
jbcummings
Just remember you have that thing on and don’t scratch at any delicate parts. Big Grin

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.
December 18, 2018, 05:41 PM
tatortodd
I think that would be classified as brass knuckles which are illegal in Texas even if you have a license to carry.
quote:
PENAL CODE
TITLE 10. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY, AND MORALS
CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

Sec. 46.01.

DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(8) "Knuckles" means any instrument that consists of finger rings or guards made of a hard substance and that is designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting seriousbodily injury or death by striking a person with a fist enclosed in the knuckles.

Sec. 46.05.

PROHIBITED WEAPONS.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:

(2) knuckles;

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
December 18, 2018, 05:54 PM
RR
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I think that would be classified as brass knuckles which are illegal in Texas even if you have a license to carry.
quote:
PENAL CODE
CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

Sec. 46.01.

(8) "Knuckles" means any instrument that consists of finger rings or guards made of a hard substance and that is designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting seriousbodily injury or death by striking a person with a fist enclosed in the knuckles.

Sec. 46.05.

PROHIBITED WEAPONS.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:

(2) knuckles;

Serious bodily injury or death? Really? You think these fit that?
December 18, 2018, 06:08 PM
tatortodd
quote:
Originally posted by RR:
quote:
quote:
PENAL CODE
CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

Sec. 46.01.

Sec. 46.05.

PROHIBITED WEAPONS.

(2) knuckles;

Serious bodily injury or death? Really? You think these fit that?
Do you really think I would look up the regulation, copy it, and post it if I didn't think it applied? It isn't my definition, it's the legislature's definition. Here is a YouTuble video from the OP's link which shows it worn just like knuckles, the claws essentially enclose the knuckles, and it doubt it would be treated by prosecutors any different than knuckles.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/14bopa-Cmkg

BTW, I think our knuckle law is stupid since I can open or conceal carry a pistol but not knuckles.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
December 18, 2018, 06:31 PM
slosig
quote:
quote:
PENAL CODE
CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

Sec. 46.01.

Sec. 46.05.

PROHIBITED WEAPONS.

(2) knuckles;

One would certainly invite a semantic argument (which is rarely a good idea in the legal system), but I don’t agree that this product encloses the knuckles, not that is intended for striking with the fist. It really is a slashing tool, as mentioned earlier an upgrade to keys protruding between the knuckles.

That said, a zealous prosecutor may see things differently. I’d hate to be / fund the test case...

Beyond that, I see this as a quick “Get the Firetruck Off Me” thing that will likely sting (and piss off), but probably not disable. I’d guess there are plenty of other tools (including one’s own limbs) that might be more effective in producing a disabling injury.
December 18, 2018, 06:37 PM
LS1 GTO
quote:
quote:
PENAL CODE
CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

Sec. 46.01.

Sec. 46.05.

PROHIBITED WEAPONS.

(2) knuckles;

Read the definition again.

From what I can see, the tiger lady has neither rings nor a method to encase the knuckles. The product is more skin to l holding a roll of coins

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

December 18, 2018, 06:38 PM
tatortodd
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
That said, a zealous prosecutor may see things differently. I’d hate to be / fund the test case...

Beyond that, I see this as a quick “Get the Firetruck Off Me” thing that will likely sting (and piss off), but probably not disable. I’d guess there are plenty of other tools (including one’s own limbs) that might be more effective in producing a disabling injury.
Yep, it isn't worth $100k in legal fees when a Texas woman (not commenting on other states) can jog with with something tried and true such as Sabre Red Runner Pepper Gel.

December 18, 2018, 06:41 PM
WaterburyBob
Their radio ads claim it's legal in all 50 states.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards
December 18, 2018, 06:43 PM
Scurvy
Amazing to me that women apparently live in perpetual fear of being raped/mugged/assaulted and come up with all these strange defense tools and at the same time tend to be extremely anti-gun...
December 18, 2018, 06:58 PM
Skins2881
My wife carries a pistol every time she steps out the house. She's not had to use it yet, but I imagine it's a lot more effective than the cat paw doodad. I am sure she could draw three times as fast and get a shot off well before scratching her assailant.

If he get's away, there is also an included DNA collection and tracking method. Follow the blood trail to dead perp, if he lives, collect blood for DNA sample.

I think we have found a solution looking for a problem here fellows.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
December 18, 2018, 07:13 PM
C-Dubs
Not quite as inconspicuous as the old monkey fist, but looks like it could do damage.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
December 18, 2018, 07:26 PM
Strambo
The eyes are about the only place it could do any real damage beyond a flesh wound. Scary looking scratches that won't physically stop an attacker, no thanks!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page
December 18, 2018, 07:38 PM
Sig2340
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
Answer looking for a question?

Something kookie in search of ninja no buki?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018
December 18, 2018, 11:15 PM
zoom6zoom
Tigerlady Self-Defense Claw?

wasn't that a Cynthia Rothrock movie?

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.
December 18, 2018, 11:45 PM
Rightwire
From the videos on the website this appears to be a tool for gathering and holding DNA, not self defense.

Ok I guess if the attacker is shirtless, but if in long sleeves, mask, and gloves this is about as useful as a soccer bat.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.
December 18, 2018, 11:51 PM
radioman
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
Their radio ads claim it's legal in all 50 states.

Can I bring it on a Southwest flight?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
December 19, 2018, 05:33 AM
WaterburyBob
I would bet not.

They advertise on Sirius 125 constantly; I'm just quoting their ad.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards