SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Maine legalizes medically assisted suicide
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maine legalizes medically assisted suicide Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
https://www.usatoday.com/story...th-state/1438468001/

This is a good thing. If you don't have the right to kill yourself, you're not actually a free person.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you don't have the right to kill yourself, you're not actually a free person.

I see a difference between killing yourself and involving others in the killing.

From the article:

Assisted suicide is a dangerous public policy that puts the most vulnerable people in society at risk for abuse, coercion and mistakes,” said Matt Valliere, executive director of Patients Rights Action Fund, an advocacy group. “It also provides profit-driven insurance companies perverse incentives to offer a quick death, rather than costly continuing quality care."

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it depends upon how the law is written and whether a psychologist has to sign off on it. It is a complicated and controversial subject.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Excellent.

It is nobody's else's business how someone terminally ill wants to go.

Legal, painless, cheap, quick, not messy, not traumatic....now terminally ill people get to pick all six.

From the article linked in the OP:
quote:
The bill defines “terminal disease” as one that is incurable and will likely end in death within six months. It also makes pressuring someone to request life-ending medication a crime.

Psychologists would have nothing to do with saying yea or nea in this case, nor should they.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
If you don't have the right to kill yourself, you're not actually a free person.

I see a difference between killing yourself and involving others in the killing.

In the case of terminal illness, or other medical situations, you're going to need help, and you shouldn't be locked in a meat prison.

It's a simple issue. If you don't want to kill yourself, don't.

If you are stopping other people from killing themselves just because you disagree with it, you should really mind your own business. Just like all the assholes who want to ban firearms should mind their own damn business.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a simple issue.

Alrighty, then. Case closed.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
It's a simple issue.

Alrighty, then. Case closed.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you’re ready for the next journey, have at it.
For me, I would like to have that choice when it comes.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
From the article:

A patient age 18 or older must undergo two waiting periods, submit one written and two verbal requests, and get the opinions of two physicians that a fatal dose of medication is appropriate. Doctors must also screen patients for conditions that can impair judgement, such as depression.

Still bullshit to need permission from the state, and to go through some bureaucratic process.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
You always have the right to kill yourself. What are they gonna do, charge you after you’re dead? Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
After watching my aunt die from lung cancer I'm very happy for this decision.
Having your only option being to slowly die in agonizing pain as tumors displace healthy tissues while your family watches in horror is not how anyone should go.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
You always have the right to kill yourself. What are they gonna do, charge you after you’re dead? Smile

Medically assisted suicide being a special case, outside of that suicide will remain an illegal act.

What should happen broadly, is for the social stigma of mental illness and suicidal thoughts be removed. So people can talk openly about it and get help before it is too late.

Arc.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I absolutely agree that at a minimum, if your life is not yours to do with as you see fit, then you most assuredly are not free. However, with the "assisted suicide" aspect, the potential for abuse is very real. It would obviously be far less expensive for terminally ill patients to elect assisted suicide than it would be to hang around and rack up insurance bills. Obviously the insurance companies would love that option to become widely available. I'd also argue that many of today's selfish families would also love the option of an elderly, sick family member opting to cash out early, whereby saving them time, money, and effort in the costs of care.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Of the states that have already legalized assisted suicide, how many cases of abuse have there been?

"Potential for abuse" is a weak argument for a necessary law.

Lots of things carry the potential for abuse.

Arc.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
https://www.usatoday.com/story...th-state/1438468001/

This is a good thing. If you don't have the right to kill yourself, you're not actually a free person.

I've thought we are overdue for a national discussion on the subject. At first glance this law seems reasonable to me.
Just watched a good friend fight a losing battle with cancer for 18 months or so. We had some conversations on the subject. It was his intent to be able to have some control over his destiny as he had just witnessed his Sister in Law go through cancer hell. In the end, he ended up in hospice and cancer won. Was only there one day.
Those people are saints. Don't know how they do it.
I've also had the less pleasant options introduced into my life. Both elderly and both by gun leaving someone else to find them. Wouldn't wish that on any survivor.
I'll vote for a medical option in a controlled environment any day.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of the states that have already legalized assisted suicide, how many cases of abuse have there been?

But few things that carry the "potential for abuse" label involve the guaranteed loss of a life (or multiple lives) if abuse does occur.

Look, if you or I want to throw off this moral coil and we are capable of accomplishing what's necessary to reach that goal, then its no ones business but our own. That somewhat defines what basic freedom is to me. However, because the world is full of a whole lot of unscrupulous, unethical, immoral, and selfish people, the "assisted" part of that equation opens the door to a potential level of abuse that should be concerning to everyone.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
As long as it remains 'Safe, Legal & Rare' there really shouldn't be any issues whatsoever, right.... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

But few things that carry the "potential for abuse" label involve the guaranteed loss of a life (or multiple lives) if abuse does occur.

Look, if you or I want to throw off this moral coil and we are capable of accomplishing what's necessary to reach that goal, then its no ones business but our own. That somewhat defines what basic freedom is to me. However, because the world is full of a whole lot of unscrupulous, unethical, immoral, and selfish people, the "assisted" part of that equation opens the door to a potential level of abuse that should be concerning to everyone.

Nobody is saying there is no abuse. The world is a big and ugly place.

It's still a thin argument against something very necessary, and if it were a huge problem, where is the evidence?

Find the abuse, prosecute the abusers. But don't overstate the potential for abuse. Again, we have states who already codified assisted suicide. If it were a big issue, where are the instances?

Arc.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
"Primum non nocere."

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Let's keep reminding all the Democrats that they have the right to kill themselves.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post