SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a new smart phone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a new smart phone Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
Warhorse which carrier/network are you on? I have a spare AT&T 5s (A1533) you can use if you want to wait for the 8.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm on Verizon along with my wife's IPhone6.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the idea's gents.

I am going to go ahead with a new IPhone7. I am reasonably certain that will keep me happy for 3-4 years till the IPhone11 comes out. Wink

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

I am going to go ahead with a new IPhone7. I am reasonably certain that will keep me happy for 3-4 years till the IPhone11 comes out. Wink

DO NOT buy a carrier-locked iPhone7!

Apple put different modems in some of the carrier-locked and the factory-unlocked versions: Intel in the former, Qualcomm on factory-unlocked versions. There can be a significant performance difference. The Intel modems comparatively suck. Word is, and it's apparently been confirmed by Apple, is they throttled the Qalcomm-chipped phones to match the Intel-chipped ones so their LTE network speeds more-closely matched. But, from what I've read, the Intel modems also don't work as well signal-wise.

That brouhaha is why I passed on the iPhone 7, myself. I had been entertaining the idea of waiting for the 8 to get a deal on a 7.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

DO NOT buy a carrier-locked iPhone7!

Apple put different modems in some of the carrier-locked and the factory-unlocked versions: Intel in the former, Qualcomm on factory-unlocked versions. There can be a significant performance difference. The Intel modems comparatively suck. Word is, and it's apparently been confirmed by Apple, is they throttled the Qalcomm-chipped phones to match the Intel-chipped ones so their LTE network speeds more-closely matched. But, from what I've read, the Intel modems also don't work as well signal-wise.

That brouhaha is why I passed on the iPhone 7, myself. I had been entertaining the idea of waiting for the 8 to get a deal on a 7.

Verizon iPhones are all unlocked. I have used my Verizon iPhone 7 with Verizon, AT&T, and Mobistar sims in South America without any issue. My phone internet is lighting fast compared to my home Time Warner cable wifi.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
How 'bout, if you really want an iPhone 8, just get a cheap TracFone or similar for now, to fill the gap until the iPhone 8 is available.

Sounds like a plan. And the iPhone 8 is said to be waterproof, so you won't suffer this mishap again. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8949 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
This Samsung S8+ is the best phone I've ever owned and Samsung (imo) are the best phones made.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
How 'bout, if you really want an iPhone 8, just get a cheap TracFone or similar for now, to fill the gap until the iPhone 8 is available.

Sounds like a plan. And the iPhone 8 is said to be waterproof, so you won't suffer this mishap again. Smile

Just don't look at it the wrong way or the screen will shatter.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
We just ditched my wife's iPhone for a Google pixel. We bit the bullet and bought an unlocked one. Tired of being painted in boxes by companies. My company phone will be swapped in about 6 months for a pixel as well. Then we will finally be away from iCrap.

Warhorse, 99% sure I have a Verizon iPhone you can have if you want to wait until the 8 comes out. If nothing else you might get a better deal on the 7 then.

I will be back at the house in a couple of hours and can check then if you like..

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
If you just want to Get something cheap, but decent, to hold you over until the iPhone 8 is released, then get a Moto G4 Play.

You can get it for $85 from Best Buy, unlocked, no bloatware, and can be used with any provider. You do need to provide the proper SIM card for your provider.

I have one, and this is how I got it for $85. It's offered for $85 as a prepaid phone at Verizon, and Best Buy will price match (on prepaid no contract offers, not contract offers).

So you can get it for $85 at Best Buy without any of the Verizon bloatware.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I just bought a new IPhone7 Plus yesterday.

posted Hide Post
Aloha,

We went thru 2 sets of Note 7s during the battery situation.

Ended up with Motorola Droids.

We much preferred the Samsung Notes but Verizon gave us both Really sweet trade in deals.

We are waiting for the new Note 8 to debut.

See what kind of Great trade in deal Verizon will give us for the Droids when the Note 8 comes out.

For switching to the Note 7, we each got $300 trade in credit AND FREE Samsung 256GB micro SD cards.

Total value worth $550.

Got good deal on the Droids which can take the 256GB micro sd cards.

Posts: 1200 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: October 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is that new OS going to work on all Apple phones?

List of iOS 11 compatible devices (phones, ipads, etc). Back to the 5s for the iPhone.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post