SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a new smart phone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a new smart phone Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted
I was in my pool yesterday for about 20 minutes when I discovered that I had taken my IPhone5 swimming with me in the pocket of my swim trunks. Eek

So, I was holding out till the new IPone8 came out to upgrade. Obviously that plan went down the drain.

Give me some advise as to which new phone to get today. Apple or Android?

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
toast? can't it handle some water?

Sprint. I have not been totally satisfied with the And. system.

I think I would try something other than Verizon too.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19172 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Still nursing a Samsung S3.......my next will be an LG G6.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4575 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
How 'bout, if you really want an iPhone 8, just get a cheap TracFone or similar for now, to fill the gap until the iPhone 8 is available.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Both are good phones. I've had both Apple and Andriod.

IMHO it comes down to what you want. Do you want to learn a new phone system? I didn't find it hard moving between platforms just a little PIA finding some apps. Do you have a lot of apps you paid for with Apple that you would have to pay for again?

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
What V-Tail said. If you are considering changing platforms. I love the HTC phones. I owned the first 4G phone made, which was made by them. Ever since I buy the latest flagship phone they offer. I have a M9 now, will be getting the U11 soon.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
You said it was an iPhone 5, so I'm guessing you've had it 3+ years? How did it perform? Did it do everything you wanted it to do? If so, I'd go back to iPhone. I've had Android phones by multiple manufacturers, my iPhone 5 has given me better service than any. They're more expensive, but I think they hold up to daily use better.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
If you really want to wait and see the iphone 8 why not get a used phone to hold you over?

Gazelle sells them. There are small electronics dealers around me that sell used phones. Search craigslist and it's easy to pick out who the dealers are vs non-dealers.

Lastly if you need a new one today, dont make a decision till you go to the store and hold some phones. I did not like how the new Samsung phones fit my hand or how they feel. Wasn't impressed with them at all and ended up with an Iphone 7 plus. I use to bash Apple but I have to admit it's a great smartphone.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Buy a used i6 & add it to your plan till the i8 debuts. Btw, I thought about leaving the iphone for a android until I did some comparison research.

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I love the HTC phones. I owned the first 4G phone made, which was made by them.

Thunderbolt?

I had one with verizon before they turned on 4G in Kansas City. Wasnt a bad phone.

I just got a LG V20 a couple days ago after using Samsung Galaxy's for years. I root my phones. Samsung and Verizon has locked down their phones so much, you cant do anything with them any more.

OP, I also would suggest getting a cheap phone to get you by until you are able to get the one you want. It would also give you a chance to try out android. But double check what sim size you currently have and what the other phone takes. They sell sim adapters on ebay and amazon. We use them at work to test the modems in the laptops and they work great.

Posts: 7395 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
If you want to stick with the Apple ecosystem (which I would recommend): Get thee to Swappa and find a minimally acceptable phone to hold you for now, from an acceptable seller.

You can out-right buy a used, unlocked 16GB iPhone 6S, model A1633, factory-unlocked, both GSM and CDMA compatible, global LTE support, in "Good" or better condition, for under $300.

When the iPhone 8 comes out the 6S will serve as a good backup, or you can probably sell it for at least $200.

That's what I'd do.

quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Btw, I thought about leaving the iphone for a android until I did some comparison research.

I was in the Android ecosystem for five years or so, until I finally became fed up with Google's behaviour and Android's execrable security track record. Finally Saw The Light.

I liked the Android OS better, for the most part. (Though there's a lot to be said of some of iOS' integration features.) But, I won't be going back. No way, no how. Any more than I'd ever consider using an MS-Windows PC.

As for apples:apples comparison: Compare either Google Pixel to either unlocked iPhone 7. The iPhone 7 wins hands-down in every respect.

I think the same could be said comparing either Google Nexus to either iPhone 6S.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I love the HTC phones. I owned the first 4G phone made, which was made by them.

Thunderbolt?

I had one with verizon before they turned on 4G in Kansas City. Wasnt a bad phone.

I just got a LG V20 a couple days ago after using Samsung Galaxy's for years. I root my phones. Samsung and Verizon has locked down their phones so much, you cant do anything with them any more.

OP, I also would suggest getting a cheap phone to get you by until you are able to get the one you want. It would also give you a chance to try out android. But double check what sim size you currently have and what the other phone takes. They sell sim adapters on ebay and amazon. We use them at work to test the modems in the laptops and they work great.

Sprint HTC 4G Evo

The kickstand was a handy thing. I wish they still had them.

Still have the phone, and it still works. I use it as a back up when I need to get my replaced because I broke it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you decide to wait on the iPhone 8 they're are some cheap but decent phones to hold you over. One of my sons has a moto g play that I paid $80 for. I was shocked at how good it is, its made me wonder if I really need a $600 phone.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3529 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
One of my sons has a moto g play that I paid $80 for. I was shocked at how good it is, its made me wonder if I really need a $600 phone.

If that's one of the pre-Lenovo Moto Gs: That's all over with. That was one of the big reasons I became angry with Google: Their selling Motorola Mobility to Lenovo, who proceeded to do what fans of the "Moto" line of phones feared they'd do: Wreck it.

Additionally: Where the promise used to be "Moto" phones would get regular security updates, under Lenovo: Nope.

So enjoy that Moto G, because that's dead and gone. I've got two 3rd Gen. models, here, that'll be going up for sale on Swappa, soon. One of 'em in essentially brand new condition. Along with an ASUS ZenWatch2.

Boy, those were great phones Frown

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
The new iPhone OS is going to have file management if that is important to you.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
If you have Amazon prime and use either AT&T or T-Mobile, there are some inexpensive unlocked phones available at Amazon. They are cheap, as low as $60, because they serve Amazon ads on the lock screen.

Unlocked Amazon Cell Phones

Buy two.

Posts: 3381 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

Is that new OS going to work on all Apple phones?

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

Is that new OS going to work on all Apple phones?

Probably the last few...iPhone 6 and on. It's debuting on the new iPad Pro first then iPhones in the fall.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I have an LG G6 and it is a great phone.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
Warhorse which carrier/network are you on? I have a spare AT&T 5s (A1533) you can use if you want to wait for the 8.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post