Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jeep Guys Login/Join 
posted
My wife and I have decided to replace my 05 ram pickup with a Wrangler. Probably going to get a pretty basic Sport.

I worry when a vehicle or gun is in its first year new model production.

Thanks JD

Question:
Is there a reason to go with the JK over the JL?

Choices:
JK
JL
I just came to look at Jeep pictures

Posts: 390 | Location: Northern Colorado  | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am with ya on first model years. Don't go there.

I am not a jeep guy. Just wonder what leads you to a wrangler. Obviously not practicality Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
The JL is more evolution than revolution, if I was buying a new one it'd be a JL. I have a JKUR and drove a 2018 JLUR, it nicely updated but not totally different.

Check what you want before opting for the Sport, it's pretty basic. If you get caught up in the Jeep thing it'll cost a lot to upgrade.

Obligatory picture:

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I am not a jeep guy. Just wonder what leads you to a wrangler. Obviously not practicality Wink

I had an 01 sport that I loved. Sold it because I thought I needed a truck to go and haul an ATV that I bought (should of just gone out with the Jeep). Fun for the family. We have a Subaru for long trips. I have a work car and don't need it to commute, and if that changes my commute is 2 miles. I average less than 5k a year on my personal vehicle.

JD

Posts: 390 | Location: Northern Colorado  | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Note that the JL (2018 and 2019) is having a recall/stop-sale because of frame weld issues.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Very personal decision. I bought an ‘18 JK. Came down to wanting the simplicity mostly. The price difference helped, and that the JK was proven and had an unlimited aftermarket supply.

JKs are getting harder to find.

Either way, you’ll enjoy it! One of the best decisions of my life, but I had wanted one for over 20 years.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was looking at that thread on your purchase before I posted the poll. Thanks

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
There are literally hundreds of pages of pro/con pitting JK against JL. Wranglerforum.com is where I frequent, but there are several different sites. I’d peruse one or two of those. And there are a few YouTube comparisons.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
The JL is more evolution than revolution, if I was buying a new one it'd be a JL. I have a JKUR and drove a 2018 JLUR, it nicely updated but not totally different.

Check what you want before opting for the Sport, it's pretty basic. If you get caught up in the Jeep thing it'll cost a lot to upgrade.

I think it's all dependent upon how well you can twist a wrench. I went with the "Sport" and had the factory upgraded radio, heated seats, and remote start.
Everything else I was able to do myself.
$1300 for running boards, head & tail light covers from the dealer? For less than half that, I did it myself.
There's a ton of aftermarket stuff out there that's better than factory and costs less. You just need to be willing to do it yourself.

My recommendation is to undercoat the living hell out of it! They have the propensity to rust.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
^^^ I was referring to things like tires/wheels, lockers, maybe the hood. Jeep packages things on the Rubicon that you can't duplicate for the price. Your referencing easy, bolt on stuff.

For instance, the trailer hitch, aftermarket is $79.00, factory several hundred. I have aftermarket headlights, tail lights, fog lights, lift, tires, wheels, tire carrier, skid plates, GPS, cargo tray, fold out table etc.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Heard that they have had some electrical issues with JL

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'm not fan of the JL's. I don't like the way they look, and they seem to have way too much nonsense in them like emergency braking and side avoidance warning, crap I have absolutely no use for in a Jeep.

I love my JK though.

Here's my obligatory pic taken only a few mins ago. And yes, I'm parked in front of a Tesla charging station.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only drive Jeeps from defunct manufacturers, so I'm no help. Sorry. Wink

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may want to read-up on the frame weld recalls on the JL. The first model year is never a good idea. Get a JK, at it's bugs are well documented and the marketplace is ready to help.

Go to wranglerforum and do some research, there are dealerships that may make worth your effort to travel to them for your purchase.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an 07 jk 2dr. Love it wish I would have gotten a rubicon. Be prepared for upgrades. Lift bumpers winch etc.

Posts: 380 | Location: masshole | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have concerns over the first couple of years of the new Jeep rollout. This is also the first design under the Fiat flag, so for me, the jury is out.

My son has a ‘14 JK Rubicon manual, and I have a ‘15 JK Rubicon auto. Other than typical oil and tire service, we’ve had zero mechanical/electric trouble with the vehicles, and he runs his hard (85k miles). Additionally, the JK has tons of tested options and upgrades available, and it may take another 12-24 months for similar options to surface for JL.

Have fun with your new Jeep, and remember to wave!

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Some more interior refinements with JL.

Some mechanical too. Better manual transmission in JL from what I’ve heard and there is the 8 spd auto. They say JL is smoother to drive but we love our 2017 Recon JKU with 6spd manual. Drives great.

If you’re interested hold off for the Scrambler coming out next spring.

I’ve also got a 2010 Ram 1500 thats been awesome but I’m seriously thinking about trading it in on a new JT. We’ll see....

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you need a YJ. Smile

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
I set out to buy a Jeep in May '17. I considered waiting for the JL to come out, but I hate buying something the first year of production. Plus, I wanted to purchase quickly as my F150 was deteriorating quickly.

I went to OKC with the intent to buy a Sport and upgrade the stereo but nothing else. I came home with a Trail Rated Rubicon and I'm really glad I did. I would have never been able to do Black Bear Pass with an basic Sport. The lockers and sway bar disconnect are fantastic for off road stuff.

Anyway, I don't regret passing on the JL. The 8-speed transmission may have been nice, but they've already had recalls and other issues with the JL.

Do your homework. There's a lot to the decision.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I bought a JKURR after driving and the JLUR I didn’t like the engine shutoff at a light. This is on the automatic. I am not a huge fan of first year model purchases. They are having recalls on frame welding, steering. I am not a fan of aluminum being used as body panels.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post