SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tax question re profit from sale of house
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tax question re profit from sale of house Login/Join 
posted
I moved from Maryland to Pennsylvania in 2016 but did not sell my home in Maryland until January of 2017. The house in Maryland was my primary residence for 22 years. Will I be expected to pay capital gains tax on the profit? If so, to Feds and Maryland? Feds, Md. and Pa.? Hope not.

When I made an appointment yesterday to have my taxes done, the young lady on the phone asked if I bought or sold a home last year. If so, to bring my HUD-1 from the sale. I asked if I was going to be taxed. She wasn't sure. She just makes appointments and is not an accountant.

I don't remember paying tax on home profits on previous homes.

Thanks for any help.

Posts: 794 | Location: York Pa. | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Short answer : no taxes due as long as they are under the IRS limits (depending on your filing status).

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Longer answer:

"Some sellers are surprised by this break, especially if they’ve been in their homes for a while. That’s because before May 7, 1997, the only way you could avoid paying taxes on your home-sale profit was to use the money to buy another, more-expensive house within two years. Sellers age 55 or older had one other option. They could take a once-in-a-lifetime tax exemption of up to $125,000 in profits. And in all instances, there was Form 2119 to fill out to show that you followed the rules.

But when the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 became law, the home-sale tax burden eased for millions of residential taxpayers. The rollover or once-in-a-lifetime options were replaced with the current per-sale exclusion amounts."

additionally:

"Another bonus to the changed rules? You don’t have to buy another home with your sale proceeds. You can squander the money any way you like.

Even better, there’s no limit on the number of times you can use the home-sale exemption. In most cases, you can make tax-free profits of $250,000, or $500,000 depending on your filing status, every time you sell a home.

There are a few rules to follow, of course. First, the property you’re selling must be your principal residence. That means you live in it. This tax break doesn’t apply to a house or other property that you have solely for investment purposes. In those cases, the usual capital gains rules apply.

You also must live in that principal residence for two of the five years before you sell it. This is known as the use test. It also means, practically speaking, each sale must be at least two years apart."

https://www.bankrate.com/finan...our-home-sale-1.aspx

https://www.irs.gov/businesses...real-estate-tax-tips

------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
You also must live in that principal residence for two of the five years before you sell it. -

Does that mean that the purchase->sale must be at least 5 years apart ?

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Sig209.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
quote:
You also must live in that principal residence for two of the five years before you sell it. -

According to the bankrate article - you effectively can use this two year tax break every two years.

"You also must live in that principal residence for two of the five years before you sell it. This is known as the use test. It also means, practically speaking, each sale must be at least two years apart.

That still leaves you room to make some money on several properties. You can sell your residence this year, pocket any gain within the tax limits and buy a new residence. Then two years later, you can do the same thing, again and again, every two years.

And you no longer have to worry about that pesky prior-law reporting requirement. When your gain doesn’t exceed the limit, you don’t have to file anything with the IRS."

----------------------------------

posted Hide Post
Yes, thank you Sig209.

I am 66 years old. The house was my principal residence. I figure the profit would be less than $150,000.

Posts: 794 | Location: York Pa. | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

According to the bankrate article - you effectively can use this two year tax break every two years.

"You also must live in that principal residence for two of the five years before you sell it. This is known as the use test. It also means, practically speaking, each sale must be at least two years apart.

That still leaves you room to make some money on several properties. You can sell your residence this year, pocket any gain within the tax limits and buy a new residence. Then two years later, you can do the same thing, again and again, every two years.

And you no longer have to worry about that pesky prior-law reporting requirement. When your gain doesn’t exceed the limit, you don’t have to file anything with the IRS."

Then what does "of the five years" have to do with it?

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wbw:
Yes, thank you Sig209.

I am 66 years old. The house was my principal residence. I figure the profit would be less than $150,000.

That's nice to put that $$ in your pocket without having to pay any additional taxes on it! Smile

-----------------------------------

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wbw:
Yes, thank you Sig209.

That's nice to put that $$ in your pocket without having to pay any additional taxes on it! Smile

-----------------------------------

Yes. Thanks for easing my mind.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:

Two out of five years.

Live in it for a year. Rent it out 3 years. Live in it again for another year. 2 out of 5.

Live in it 2 years, leave it empty for 3 years. Still 2 out of 5.

Live in it 5 months a year for the past 5 years, spend the other 7 months in your penthouse loft in Dubai. Still more than 2 out of 5.

Live in property A in years 1 and 3, property B in years 2 and 4, property C in year 5. Both property A and B qualify in year 5, but there's a hard limit in taking the exclusion every 24 months, so you can only use it on one of them.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
quote:
quote:
quote:

to differentiate homes lived in by the taxpayer as opposed to rental / investment properties which are subject to separate rules.