SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    State Fair vendor selling streaming cable box
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

State Fair vendor selling streaming cable box Login/Join 
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted
So my dad went to the Washington State Fair (should be the Puyallup but that's a different topic) and bought a Stream Daddy cable streaming box and wanted to know if I wanted one. The thing is, I can't find any reviews and this thing is expensive. From what I've read, these Android streaming boxes should go for $50-$100. Does anyone have any info on this particular box?

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
You're paying for someone to set it up. If you are fairly computer literate you can do it yourself.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket72:
You're paying for someone to set it up. If you are fairly computer literate you can do it yourself.
Their website is showing $600! That's insane. I'd rather buy an Apple TV or Roku for far less.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
Yeah that's ~$500 too high. I have the same system on my phone and a raspberry pi. It's easy to install if you have a couple hrs free. At worst. The box itself is sorta important. Getting Kodi setup with the right repositories is key

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't that the same as a firestick for TV?
I picked one up for something like 69 bucks. Downloaded the downloader , installed Kodi and did a Google search for the most popular installation package for all the apps.

More & more SIG's and a bunch of Smith & Wesson revolvers

Posts: 654 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: April 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I bought a different brand several years ago. Setting up KODI and the repositories was a hot mess. Streams were not reliable. Not worth the trouble was what I finally decided.

Good luck.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20320 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Amazon Fire box $100 DirecTV Now $37 a month and you have more tv than you care to watch and decent streaming

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8525 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Yeah something doesn't feel right about this deal. I'm going to go with a solid no. I'd rather spend $150 on an Apple TV than $300 on something I'm not 100% with.

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I have one of the M8S boxes (media server running Android). I never use it any more, favoring the FireTV for pay media streams, and OpenElec-installed Raspberry Pi for my personal media files. I'd go with the Pi if I could only have one even though the Fire can run Kodi (with some rootish hacks).

Posts: 6459 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
If anyone claims you can buy a box and stream pay stations for free on it, they're talking about in at least moral terms, pirated content.

Edit to add: It looks like Stream Daddy has also ripped off their logo. I could be wrong about their boxes and their logo, but it looks fishy to me.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post