SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Building a wood shop---question for the pros here
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a wood shop---question for the pros here Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
If you put similar machines side by side. One by Delta and the other Powermatic I'd take the Powermatic every time.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I'm not a pro, but would offer a bit of advice:

BE CAREFUL and never work tired.

Those old tools are well made and work great, but lack many of the modern design and safety features. Your fingers will appreciate your undivided attention to the task at hand.

Please repeat.

Never work tired, never be in a hurry. Always make sure your surroundings are clear of any obstacles. Make sure of your footing. Use push sticks.

I say this as I look at five scars on my right hand, three from table saw, one from band saw, one from jointer (I am left handed, understand that in woodwork, the "off hand" gets more injuries). Every instance was when I was in a hurry, became careless.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
If you can get 3 phase power it will open a vast market of quality, industrial used woodworking machines to buy and you will not be competing with hobbyists. I have seen whole shop auctions held where the hobbyists bid up the small tools but the industrial quality 3ph machines went for a song.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
this is all you need Wink

Is that yours? Wow!

yes and thanks!

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
In addition to fatigue and hurrying, DISTRACTIONS are a huge source of potential injury. I ask my wife (for what good that does Wink ) not to come out and start talking to me when I'm using power tools.

I'm afraid sometime she might come out despite hearing the planer going and discover I'm sitting back in a chair reading peacefully. (J/K)

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post