SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quick home network question.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick home network question. Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Personally, if you're set on moving the existing router to see if it would resolve your issue(s), then my suggestion would be to get a 50-60 foot length of CAT cable, terminate it with connectors, and use it to place your router in a couple locations near where you want to test it (just leave your switch out of the equation while testing - Modem to router only).

Will do! Cable already made up...

...but not today, I have a water pump to replace on a daughters car.

Like I said above just 'extend' aka longer cables both from the modem-to-router and router(LAN ports) back to the switch.
It wouldn't be my fist choice (of adding AP's) but certainly doable if the cables can be run and the cheapest and easiest alternative for sure.
If all is needed as from the diagram and early indication then is a very viable solution.
USE diagram #1 in the OP and NOT #2.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
a three wap mesh network is the real answer. worked so well for me.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally, if you're set on moving the existing router to see if it would resolve your issue(s), then my suggestion would be to get a 50-60 foot length of CAT cable, terminate it with connectors, and use it to place your router in a couple locations near where you want to test it (just leave your switch out of the equation while testing - Modem to router only). I did this at a friend's home and ran the CAT cable across the floor to a family room in the center of his house. Not a permanent or even elegant solution, but it will allow you to test your router in multiple locations to see if you've solved your issue(s).

Why? The WiFi router doesn't need to be connected to the modem or internet for him to check whether or not he gets a good signal by moving it.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
a three wap mesh network is the real answer. worked so well for me.

NO it isn't.

Multiple AP's (not MESH) is.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:
Personally, if you're set on moving the existing router to see if it would resolve your issue(s), then my suggestion would be to get a 50-60 foot length of CAT cable, terminate it with connectors, and use it to place your router in a couple locations near where you want to test it (just leave your switch out of the equation while testing - Modem to router only). I did this at a friend's home and ran the CAT cable across the floor to a family room in the center of his house. Not a permanent or even elegant solution, but it will allow you to test your router in multiple locations to see if you've solved your issue(s).

Why? The WiFi router doesn't need to be connected to the modem or internet for him to check whether or not he gets a good signal by moving it.

TRUE, you can measure RSSI by simply moving to potential locations then testing from whatever client location you desire.