SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quick home network question.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick home network question. Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
I would like to relocate my WIFI router by about 40 feet to get it away from all my home theater stuff and get it more centrally located for better coverage of the house.

Current setup is on the left side of the page.

Will the plan on the right side of the drawing work?
or...
Do I need to keep the current order of cable flow and run two cables to the new wifi router location?

Only difference to me is, as far as I know, is do I run two cables or one to the new location.

Unless I am missing something better.

Doubt it matters but...
Modem is a newish Docsis 3.1,
Switch is (TL-SG116E) TP-Link 16 Port Gigabit Switch, Easy Smart Managed.
WIFI router is TP-Link AX6000

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
You need to keep your Router between the Modem & the Switch; you could add an access point to the Switch to give you better coverage.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
You need to keep your Router between the Modem & the Switch; you could add an access point to the Switch to give you better coverage.

Disagree.
As long as nothing else is plugged into the switch that'll work fine.
It's not ideal - but from a pure networking perspective it's fine.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

Disagree.
As long as nothing else is plugged into the switch that'll work fine.
It's not ideal - but from a pure networking perspective it's fine.

Well, yes, but he shows other stuff plugged into the switch and, unless there's other stuff plugged into the switch, the switch serves no purpose. So, in the context of the question: lkdr1989's answer was correct in all respects.

OP: Yes: You could run two Ethernet cables to where you want to relocate your WiFi router: One for CM -> Router and another for Router -> Switch. Crude, but effective and relatively inexpensive.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Several things plugged into the switch, home theater components/2 TVs, wireless gateway for my garage door openers and some security camera stuff.

Wifi is only for our phones, including wifi calling because our cell service here is poor, and guests, grand kids iThingies when here, everything else is hard wired.

I'll just run two cables, I have plenty cat6 and the ends and tools to install them and a basic tester.

THANKS!!!

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like to relocate my WIFI router by about 40 feet to get it away from all my home theater stuff and get it more centrally located for better coverage of the house.

totally understand wanting to move the WiFi router to a better location for coverage. Agree 100%. But are you experiencing another problem by having it near the home theater stuff??

Just curious, that's all.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The correct way is to simply add an access point to the existing configuration the OP listed above.
To use the second proposed configuration would be a bad idea if other devices are hard wired to the switch.
If the original Router/AP (TPLink) is not needed in that area it could be turned off (Wi-Fi).
Most end-users don't understand that "routing" and Wi-Fi are not the same thing.
Most consumer "routers" do both.
If you need information on how to configure two Wi-Fi units to work harmoniously we can address that too if you like.
It is why I always install a separate wired router and a separate Access Point (no routing).
It simplifies the configuration.
FWIW, you can use a Wi-Fi "router" just as an Access Point by only connection the LAN ports to your LAN and not using the WAN port (what the Cable Modem plugs into).

PS...You could just run longer cables to the desired placement point:
Cable 1: MODEM~ROUTER
Cable 2: ROUTER~SWITCH
Then move your "router" there.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
The correct way is to simply add an access point to the existing configuration the OP listed above.
Beat me to it. Smile And get a WAP with POE (Power over ethernet) and all you'll need to do is run one CAT cable from your switch to it. I did exactly this and placed the WAP in the center of my single story home on the vaulted ceiling in the family room with the CAT cable running through the attic. In my seup, WiFi is turned off on the router. Nice clean and simple install and great WiFi throughout the entire 2,500 sq ft house.

And then when your OCD kicks fully in, you can stuff 'all' your network equipment into a closet, run power into the closet and up to the equipment, build a wooden 'rack' setup for all the equipment, and power everything with a UPS for power outages. Razz Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
No real issues now except...
~14 other devices (not all networked) within 8 feet or less of the wifi router now and I understand it is a best practice to have some distance if possible. I also would like to improve the wifi signal... just tweak it a bit... for the bedroom end of the house and out on the pool deck instead of sending it off my property in the opposite direction.

Didn't really want to have to add another device like an access point although it wouldn't be a big deal I guess its just this wifi router is almost new, supports wifi 6 and we have phones that can take advantage of that. It has 8 gigabit lan ports on it, currently unused because everything is going to the switch.

Its a win win I thought... why not move it?

Good looking set up Bigdeal! Maybe when I build out my camera/security system...

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
wifi router is yellow dot.

current location and aprox coverage. 5Ghz not useable in the bedrooms. 2.4 BAIRLY reaches pool deck...

potential tweaked location...

Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I had a similar issue a few years back, I needed a new wifi router anyway, so I bought an Amplifi mesh router system, that came with 2 remote units to boost the signal. So I have my router central where it's always been, then one remote in the front of the house that gives much better coverage there, and stuck the other one out in the detached garage on the wall closest to the main unit. So now I've got great coverage out there, enough that I now do my WFH from the garage just to get out of the house.

All those new mesh units are probably perfect for your needs.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
wifi router is yellow dot.

current location and aprox coverage. 5Ghz not useable in the bedrooms. 2.4 BAIRLY reaches pool deck...

[IMG]pic 1[/IMG]

potential tweaked location...

[IMG]pic2
I still think you're asking a lot of a single router given the distances you need to cover.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
I still think you're asking a lot of a single router given the distances you need to cover.

That was my thought.

I've got a pretty decent WiFI AP, centrally located in our 1300+ sqft. ranch. We get solid coverage on 5GHz and 2.4GHz throughout the house. Even into the corners of the basement and garage. The patio is ok at 5GHz (and, of course, 2.4GHz). But at the µBarn, about 50-60 from the back of the house: 5GHz is out of the question and 2.4GHz is marginal.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a Ubiquiti UniFi access point would improve things with minimal effort. Everyone needs a spaceship.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
What I'd try before you ran any wires would be to move the WiFi router to your intended new location and see if the devices you'd like to connect to it will. Use an extension cord for the AC power if you need. This way you can try multiple locations with minimal effort.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who (meaning what device) is providing any security for your internal network? Because if its that wifi router and you reconfigure that's gone for everybody upstream on that switch. And if its none because you don't use the router for that... Stop do not pass go and fix that. NOT a chance I would make that configuration change for that reason alone. but waiting info.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
NOT a chance I would make that configuration change for that reason alone.

OK, decided pretty quick on advice here not to reconfigure... but I'm still thinking I could move the router for better coverage. The cows out in the field next to me don't need wifi so I was wanting to shift coverage a bit the other way towards the pool.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
You can always try elevating the router/wifi point. The signal has to travel through furniture and all your belongings. Higher up means less furniture to travel to.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
NOT a chance I would make that configuration change for that reason alone.

OK, decided pretty quick on advice here not to reconfigure... but I'm still thinking I could move the router for better coverage. The cows out in the field next to me don't need wifi so I was wanting to shift coverage a bit the other way towards the pool.
Personally, if you're set on moving the existing router to see if it would resolve your issue(s), then my suggestion would be to get a 50-60 foot length of CAT cable, terminate it with connectors, and use it to place your router in a couple locations near where you want to test it (just leave your switch out of the equation while testing - Modem to router only). I did this at a friend's home and ran the CAT cable across the floor to a family room in the center of his house. Not a permanent or even elegant solution, but it will allow you to test your router in multiple locations to see if you've solved your issue(s).

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Personally, if you're set on moving the existing router to see if it would resolve your issue(s), then my suggestion would be to get a 50-60 foot length of CAT cable, terminate it with connectors, and use it to place your router in a couple locations near where you want to test it (just leave your switch out of the equation while testing - Modem to router only).

Will do! Cable already made up...

...but not today, I have a water pump to replace on a daughters car.