SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Removing shingles, with style
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing shingles, with style Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e5d_1489265439

Mad skills.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31431 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Slick.

Looks like they have at least two layers of shingles there. I've never liked the idea of putting new shingles over old. I know it's cheaper but it just seems like shoddy workmanship to me. Also, you don't really know what condition the roof deck is in if you do it that way.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15212 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Seems like a good way to royally trash a roof with one small wrong adjustment

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10725 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Seems like a good way to royally trash a roof with one small wrong adjustment

My thoughts exactly. Mad skills, but one wrong turn and you have catastrophic damage.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Cute trick, but not on my roof.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I think I would fire a contractor that did that to my roof. They could easily crack a truss and I wouldn't know. Plus, that machine would tear up the yard with its tires.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
The work saved versus the risk is a ratio I'd rather avoid. I have always just pushed the old shingles to the ground, and then gathered them up and thrown them in the trash bin. Far less than a half a day's work.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wood shingles, I don't think it'd work so well with asphalt shingles.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Skilled operator!

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MPB:
Skilled operator!

Must have been Johnny Jett (Barnwood Builders).

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like an industrial area and parking lot below. My guess, it's a contractor's own office building, so they are just screwing around and doing it that way 'cause why not?

No, I don't see this ever being done residentially, the yard repairs would outweigh any labor savings (if there are any) even if done perfect.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post