SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Latest news from Northern Ireland.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Latest news from Northern Ireland. Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
The so-called 'New IRA' 'will resist 'any new borders' after Brexit, no matter by whom they are set.

https://www.channel4.com/news/...te-target-for-attack

Oh dear, here we go again...

I was in at the beginning in 1969, and in 1995 a fragile 'truce' took place, but there have been huge car bombs - Omagh in 1998, for instance - and numerous murder of police officers.

The person talking has a very strong Northern Irish accent, so, in theory, he could well be a subject of the UK. He is, however, like all of his ilk, a coward, who hides behind not one, but two semi-concealing face masks.

If this all kicks off again, more innocent people will die for a lost cause - the government of the Republic of Ireland long ago renounced their claim to the six counties of Northern Ireland. This terrorist does not recognise the validity of either government.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tacfoley,

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have a link Tac?

I would like to see and/or hear this. I have an interest in Northern Ireland as my great grandmother immigrated from there and am wanting to visit.

Thank you in advance.

Posts: 4054 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once in, never out.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I was afraid something like this could happen.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Once in, never out.

I thought that was the US SOP...didn’t know the Brits have the same playbook...smh

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Why don't the British simply conquer the island? I have no sympathy for the bungling fools that are the Irish.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "once in, never out" is supposed to be the credo of the IRA. Once you join, there is no quit.
Based on history, it looks to be still in effect.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I not seeing a link or something?

Posts: 4054 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. Keep us posted. I remember the incidents to which you refer. Most Americans have little understanding of the issues involved. Ukraine is the topic at the moment. I doubt most Americans(SIG FORUM members excluded), know about the history of Ireland, much less Ukraine.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
Why don't the British simply conquer the island? I have no sympathy for the bungling fools that are the Irish.

They did, 800 years ago. Oh, and fuck you

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The only things the british can conquer is themselves. Which they have done multiple times and are surely the fools anymore. At least by in large.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19178 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

Thank you Tmats

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

My Great Great Grandfather got pushed on a "coffin ship" at 13 and sent to the US by himself during what most would call the "Potato famine", but was actually British genocide of the Irish.

You may want to do a bit of study on Ireland/UK relations, going back before WW1, at least to the 1600's.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unsurprising but still a shame.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Tac, on a side note, is there a book or website that might explain the Irish troubles to an American who is interested?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:

Dumbest fucking thing I've read on the internet in quite some time. We don't need, nor want the sympathy borne of ignorance.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I believe the conquerer-in-chief was subsequently dug up, hung in chains and posthumously beheaded by his fellow countrymen. Not specifically for those war crimes, but no honor among thieves.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
As my Grandfather said, who left Ireland in a hurry in 1914, "the sun never sets on the British Empire, because you can't trust a feckin Englishman in the dark!!!" I don't think the Republic even wants Ulster back, anymore.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roarindan:
quote:
quote:

Thank you Tmats

Indeed, and let me add another fuck you to that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Tac, on a side note, is there a book or website that might explain the Irish troubles to an American who is interested?

I'm not tac, but a British friend who served in Northern Ireland once lent me Tony Geraghty's "The Irish War: The Hidden Conflict between the IRA and British Intelligence" (1998), which I found excellent. Geraghty was born in the UK to Irish parents, served in the British Parachute Regiment, and later covered the conflict in Northern Ireland as a journalist. Due to his peculiar background, he had great access and is pulling no punches on atroctities and mistakes he thinks were made by either side.

The book is a mix of his personal experiences and a thorough look at the history of the conflict, going back hundreds of years. There are details I never heard of before. Did you know that modern Irish insurgency had its roots in the Fenian Brotherhood established by Irish veterans of the American Civil War, whose first actions were cross-border raids into Canada in 1866-1871? Or that the PIRA, which was the main Catholic actor in the Troubles, split off from the Official IRA because Irish-American supporters didn't condone the latter's turn towards Marxism and civil rights protests rather than armed insurgency in the 1960s? Highly recommended.

Posts: 2416 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post