SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Latest news from Northern Ireland.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Latest news from Northern Ireland. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
Why don't the British simply conquer the island? I have no sympathy for the bungling fools that are the Irish.

They did, 800 years ago. Oh, and fuck you

This is without a doubt the most eloquent response to a post that I have ever read here at Sigforum. Well done!

Posts: 1049 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Goddamn some of you tits need to go walk around the block. You can insert your opinion without being dicks to each other.

Sound off like an asshole, fine. Just bring it back from royal dick-dom a bit please.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Sound off like an asshole, fine. Just bring it back from royal dick-dom a bit please.
We are talking about the Brits and Irish.

A group of has beens and a group of never was, with royalty on top to boot!

Of course they'll be fooooking pricks to each other - it's been going on for 800 years!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I'm 69% English and Wales and 26% Irish and Scotland and I get along just fine with myself.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
and while we are on about Irishness, the born-in-the-UK leader of the IRA, whether he denies it or not, Mr Gerry Adams a saint to many americans of Irish descent in the East Coast USA, had this to say today - remember that he also said of the almost 30 dead and hundreds maimed in Omagh in 1998 that it was 'regrettable' - goes on to say -
https://www.scotsman.com/news/...occupation-1-5026701

I'll assume for his benefit that he was talking of 1919. Because he surely knows that British troops first were deployed to Northern Ireland from outside in 1969 mostly to protect Catholics from Protestant violence, while the IRA which claimed this as their mission caught grief for being nowhere to be seen.

Posts: 2413 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
No doubt the IRA is a terrorist organization, but to ignore centuries of abuse and terrorism from the English against the Irish is somewhat obtuse. Last time I was in Ireland was in the early 2000s and from what Im seeing its becoming much different, both culturally and politically.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
I'm 69% English and Wales Welsh and 26% Irish and Scotland Scottish and I get along just fine with myself.

Basically, you are of British ancestry.

Note: Wales and Scotland are geographically defined places. Welsh is the term for people from Wales while Scottish is the general term for people from Scotland.

It'll be shit soup served Sunday if the Troubles begin again.

Hopefully, the Irish will help the British stamp that terror group into the boys bogs.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Note: Wales and Scotland are geographically defined places. Welsh is the term for people from Wales while Scottish is the general term for people from Scotland.

I was aware of that. I wasn't expecting to be ambushed on a short, one-sentence reply!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2086 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Ahem, going back a bit, I know, but let's all remember that Ireland was not originally invaded and subjugated by the English at all.

It was the NORMANS, who'd just subjugated the ENGLISH, who invaded Ireland and with help of the local king, set about making it part of their sovereignty.

Please take a minute or so of your time to read this -
The Norman invasion of Ireland took place in stages during the late 12th century and led to the Anglo-Normans conquering large swathes of land from the Irish. At the time, Gaelic Ireland was made up of several kingdoms, with a High King claiming lordship over the lesser kings. The Norman invasion was a watershed in the history of Ireland, marking the beginning of more than 800 years of direct English and, later, British involvement in Ireland.

In May 1169, Anglo-Norman mercenaries landed in Ireland at the request of Diarmait Mac Murchada (Dermot MacMurragh), the deposed King of Leinster, who had sought their help in regaining his kingdom. Diarmait and the Normans seized Leinster within weeks and launched raids into neighbouring kingdoms. This military intervention had the backing of King Henry II of England and was sanctioned by Pope Adrian IV.

In the summer of 1170 there were two further Norman landings, led by the Anglo-Norman Earl of Pembroke, Richard "Strongbow" de Clare. By May 1171, Strongbow had assumed control of Leinster and seized the Norse-Irish city kingdoms of Dublin, Waterford, and Wexford. That summer, High King Ruaidrí Ua Conchobair (Rory O'Connor) led an Irish counteroffensive against the Normans, who nevertheless managed to hold most of their conquered territory. In October 1171, King Henry landed with a large army in Ireland to establish control over both the Anglo-Normans and the Irish. The Norman lords handed their conquered territory to Henry. He let Strongbow hold Leinster in fief and declared the cities to be crown land. Many Irish kings also submitted to him, likely in the hope that he would curb Norman expansion. Henry, however, granted the unconquered kingdom of Meath to Hugh de Lacy. After Henry's departure in 1172, Norman expansion and Irish counteroffensives continued.

The 1175 Treaty of Windsor acknowledged Henry as overlord of the conquered territory and Ruaidrí as overlord of the rest of Ireland, with Ruaidrí also swearing fealty to Henry. However, the Treaty soon fell apart; the Anglo-Norman lords continued to invade Irish kingdoms and they attacked the Normans in turn. In 1177, Henry adopted a new policy. He declared his son John to be "Lord of Ireland" (i.e. of the whole country) and authorized the Norman lords to conquer more land. The territory they held became the Lordship of Ireland and formed part of the Angevin Empire. The largely successful nature of the invasion has been attributed to a number of factors. These include the Normans' military superiority and castle-building; the lack of a unified opposition from the Irish; and the support of the Catholic Church for Henry's intervention.

Not forgetting that Dubhlinn was once a Viking city. It's just such a convenient and beautiful island, handy to reach. It would have been much better for the Irish if their land had been located in, say, the South Pacific....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
My mother was born in Belfast, I hold dual citizenship. My Grandparents left Ireland in the late 60s due to the persecution and violence they were subject to by nature of my Grandmother being Protestant and a former British Army AA gunner during the blitz, and my Grandpa being Catholic.

Some of the views and opinions expressed in this thread are fucking ridiculous and I'll just leave it at that.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what the group is, classifying an entire group, race, nationality, you choose, as being one way because of the actions of a percentage of that group is just showing your ass. One member in particular seems pretty fond of doing it in this thread.

I have ancestry tracing back to all the races in the United Kingdom, as well as Spanish, French, German, more American Indian than Elizabeth Warren, as well as more I am probably unaware of. So even though my first and last names are most definitely of Irish origin, I am as American as they come.

That said, I googled what the geographic midpoint between Virginia and Oklahoma was when I couldn’t sleep last night because at least one member deserves to have his ass kicked from hell to breakfast for his ignorance, lack of respect and failure of decorum with his fellow members. I think I’d choose swords. I could even bring an extra or three with me were he to need to borrow one.

Alas, where the spirit is willing the body fails

Not that it would matter, he wouldn’t show up anyway.

Maybe we can put the internet billy badass shit aside and deal with each other with the respect we all deserve

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
If any or all of you would like to settle this, I'd be happy to engage in personal combat with anyone of you, I'm off the middle week in November, my email is my profile, let me know. I'll even let you pick, swords or pistols.
Forty-two hundred posts and more than a decade in this forum, and you post this idiotic crap? You're not fighting anyone and you know it, so why are you posting this impotent adolescent horse shit in my forum? Explain yourself. Tell me just how you rationalized posting this fucking idiotic crap in my forum. You typed out these words, proofread it and hit post anyway. Why? You know that no one is going to take you up on this, so why put this outlandishly moronic and juvenile shit in my forum? Go ahead. Explain this to me, badass.

And to the rest of you, when I finish reading through this thread, I may have some pointed questions for some of you.

Posts: 107512 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Ah, religion...
Shut your Goddamned mouth while you still have the opportunity to do so in this forum. You don't have to act like a dick every day. Take a break now and then. Just what exactly is your problem? Did you not get enough of the tit as a child?

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dia is Mhuire Duit agus Padraig

Translation please?

Google translate said, “God & Mary & Patrick”

Is that really what you meant?

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Dia is Mhuire Duit agus Padraig

Translation please?

Google translate said, “God & Mary & Patrick”

Is that really what you meant?

Translation I saw said "Hello, God & Mary be with you"

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1935 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
“God and Mary and St. Patrick be with you."

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Why don't the British simply conquer the island? I have no sympathy for the bungling fools that are the Irish.
They did, 800 years ago. Oh, and fuck you
This is without a doubt the most eloquent response to a post that I have ever read here at Sigforum. Well done!
Then, you need to do much more reading here.

Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
I'm 69% English and Wales Welsh and 26% Irish and Scotland Scottish and I get along just fine with myself.

Basically, you are of British ancestry.

It'll be shit soup served Sunday if the Troubles begin again.

Hopefully, the Irish will help the British stamp that terror group into the boys bogs.

If you want to be more technical the Scots are by and large descended from Gaelic invaders from Ireland who took out the Picts a long time before the British invaded them.

"As Rome finally withdrew from Britain, Gaelic raiders called the Scoti began colonising Western Scotland and Wales" -Wikipedia

So it went both ways in history if we're gonna keep old scores or whatnot.

In truth he's probably got alot of Irish genetic history if he has Scottish and Welsh.

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Someone didn't read the waiver, seeking satisfaction with sabres or pistols is a no no

Maybe gay cake bake off

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
" Say goodnight Dick"

(before this gets locked)

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post