SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Latest news from Northern Ireland.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Latest news from Northern Ireland. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
Why don't the British simply conquer the island? I have no sympathy for the bungling fools that are the Irish.

They did, 800 years ago. Oh, and fuck you

Not to derail from the significance of the post but this might be my favorite answer to a post in recent memory.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
quote:
TMats, Roarindan, Southflorida-law, Rev AJ Forsyth, Ensigmatic, PASIG.
Are you guys Irish? I mean, you must speak Irish then right? Did someone mistreat your great great grandparents 400 years ago? Where have I heard this before?

I'm aware of Irish history going back to the copper age. It's hard bringing civilization to an uncivilized people, especially when they refuse to conform. The Welsh, Scots and Britons don't complain anymore. Neither do the people of India, Australia, Canada, and even the cry babies here in the US. The only production nation in Africa, settled by Dutch, and English people. The best thing that could have ever happened to North America, was being colonized by ENGLISHMEN. Look at the mess the Spanish, and basically every other European power made. The greatest connection you can have to someone is language, here we are, and we ain't speaking Irish Gallic.

So, when you start killing British soldiers (A NATO Member and closest Ally of the United States, Ireland is not), you are my enemy.
Why don't you go throw some rocks at some Paratroopers then cry about getting shot....like the Palestinians do. Remember, you're friends with the PLO.
Maybe you need some bomb making material from Lybia?
Or some guns from Germany in 1916 for an Easter Uprising?
I have no sympathy.

If any or all of you would like to settle this, I'd be happy to engage in personal combat with anyone of you, I'm off the middle week in November, my email is my profile, let me know. I'll even let you pick, swords or pistols.

Challenging forum members to a fight to the death. I don’t think that’s rational. Or legal. Pretty sure I read that somewhere. Just remember guys, if someone’s words offend you, simply kill them. Personal combat. Honor is at stake and only blood will suffice.

Please don’t challenge me to a duel Sir. I’m booked all through November.

Posts: 543 | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/iickNtK5Ivw [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you guys Irish? I mean, you must speak Irish then right? Did someone mistreat your great great grandparents 400 years ago? Where have I heard this before?

I'm aware of Irish history going back to the copper age. It's hard bringing civilization to an uncivilized people, especially when they refuse to conform. The Welsh, Scots and Britons don't complain anymore. Neither do the people of India, Australia, Canada, and even the cry babies here in the US. The only production nation in Africa, settled by Dutch, and English people. The best thing that could have ever happened to North America, was being colonized by ENGLISHMEN. Look at the mess the Spanish, and basically every other European power made. The greatest connection you can have to someone is language, here we are, and we ain't speaking Irish Gallic.

So, when you start killing British soldiers (A NATO Member and closest Ally of the United States, Ireland is not), you are my enemy.
Why don't you go throw some rocks at some Paratroopers then cry about getting shot....like the Palestinians do. Remember, you're friends with the PLO.
I have no sympathy.

If any or all of you would like to settle this, I'd be happy to engage in personal combat with anyone of you, I'm off the middle week in November, my email is my profile, let me know. I'll even let you pick, swords or pistols.

You had me until the last sentence, then I remembered it's Brits v. Irish, so fooooking stupidity will reign among people who's only connection to it is a tasty beverage.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have no sympathy.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Comedy gold, what nonsense.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
You had me until the last sentence, then I remembered it's Brits v. Irish, so fooooking stupidity will reign among people who's only connection to it is a tasty beverage.

Yeah, but it's a good way to show how the Irish, or the "Fighting Irish" always talk a big game, but when it's game day against an adversary that isn't a pub, they never seem to fight well, much less win. I mean, if the Irish raised an actual disciplined army and defeated the Brits, they'd win, and be able to respect themselves. But they'd rather use a car bomb, like cowards.
And we were discussing things from the 12th century and before, when this really was how people settled things after a round of "Fuck you"s.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yeah, but it's a good way to show how the Irish, or the "Fighting Irish" always talk a big game, but when it's game day against an adversary that isn't a pub, they never seem to fight well, much less win. I mean, if the Irish raised an actual disciplined army and defeated the Brits, they'd win, and be able to respect themselves. But they'd rather use a car bomb, like cowards.
And we were discussing things from the 12th century and before, when this really was how people settled things after a round of "Fuck you"s.

Reckon if the grabbers and steppers and the rest of the statist pricks get their way in this country, those cowardly tactics might come in handy 'round here.

I'm sure you'll just get over it though.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:

No need to go postal. Big Grin (I couldn’t resist)

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Wow....this seems to have escalated quickly! Eek

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:

How about potatoes and a 20 pack?
Lighten up Francis....

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3447 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Ahem, going back a bit, I know, but let's all remember that Ireland was not originally invaded and subjugated by the English at all.

It was the NORMANS, who'd just subjugated the ENGLISH, who invaded Ireland and with help of the local king, set about making it part of their sovereignty.

Please take a minute or so of your time to read this -
The Norman invasion of Ireland took place in stages during the late 12th century and led to the Anglo-Normans conquering large swathes of land from the Irish. At the time, Gaelic Ireland was made up of several kingdoms, with a High King claiming lordship over the lesser kings. The Norman invasion was a watershed in the history of Ireland, marking the beginning of more than 800 years of direct English and, later, British involvement in Ireland.

In May 1169, Anglo-Norman mercenaries landed in Ireland at the request of Diarmait Mac Murchada (Dermot MacMurragh), the deposed King of Leinster, who had sought their help in regaining his kingdom. Diarmait and the Normans seized Leinster within weeks and launched raids into neighbouring kingdoms. This military intervention had the backing of King Henry II of England and was sanctioned by Pope Adrian IV.

In the summer of 1170 there were two further Norman landings, led by the Anglo-Norman Earl of Pembroke, Richard "Strongbow" de Clare. By May 1171, Strongbow had assumed control of Leinster and seized the Norse-Irish city kingdoms of Dublin, Waterford, and Wexford. That summer, High King Ruaidrí Ua Conchobair (Rory O'Connor) led an Irish counteroffensive against the Normans, who nevertheless managed to hold most of their conquered territory. In October 1171, King Henry landed with a large army in Ireland to establish control over both the Anglo-Normans and the Irish. The Norman lords handed their conquered territory to Henry. He let Strongbow hold Leinster in fief and declared the cities to be crown land. Many Irish kings also submitted to him, likely in the hope that he would curb Norman expansion. Henry, however, granted the unconquered kingdom of Meath to Hugh de Lacy. After Henry's departure in 1172, Norman expansion and Irish counteroffensives continued.

The 1175 Treaty of Windsor acknowledged Henry as overlord of the conquered territory and Ruaidrí as overlord of the rest of Ireland, with Ruaidrí also swearing fealty to Henry. However, the Treaty soon fell apart; the Anglo-Norman lords continued to invade Irish kingdoms and they attacked the Normans in turn. In 1177, Henry adopted a new policy. He declared his son John to be "Lord of Ireland" (i.e. of the whole country) and authorized the Norman lords to conquer more land. The territory they held became the Lordship of Ireland and formed part of the Angevin Empire. The largely successful nature of the invasion has been attributed to a number of factors. These include the Normans' military superiority and castle-building; the lack of a unified opposition from the Irish; and the support of the Catholic Church for Henry's intervention.

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Welsh, Scots and Britons don't complain anymore.

Actually, while there's been no armed insurrection in Scotland for a long time, they had a referendum on national independence only in 2014 which went not quite sweepingly 55:45 against. And the Scottish National Party, which has been running regional government since 2007, with a majority since 2011, is demanding another one over Brexit - since Scotland, like Northern Ireland, voted against it. In fact their latest gripe is that per the current draft deal with the EU, Northern Ireland gets to decide whether they remain partially in the European Single Market after 2024, while the Scots don't. So both are more similar than you might think.

Posts: 2416 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
This thread makes me proud I’m 1/16th Irish Wink

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nojoy:
This thread makes me proud I’m 1/16th Irish Wink

And I'm HALF Irish.

and while we are on about Irishness, the born-in-the-UK leader of the IRA, whether he denies it or not, Mr Gerry Adams a saint to many americans of Irish descent in the East Coast USA, had this to say today - remember that he also said of the almost 30 dead and hundreds maimed in Omagh in 1998 that it was 'regrettable' - goes on to say -
https://www.scotsman.com/news/...occupation-1-5026701

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. We as Americans get caught up with the business of Ireland/NI politics as arm chair experts. By dna testing only I'm 77% Great Britain and only 8% Ireland/Scotland/Wales so what do I really have in connection? My wife's parents are British/protestant and Irish(Aus)Catholic and none of them see the IRA except as terrorists. For me, probably romanticism thoughts only and products I can buy online.

In the end the IRA is a terrorist organization as Tac notes hiding behind carbombs and murder. NI, by whatever history has occurred, is part of the UK and if a minority wants a unified Ireland then do so by politics and voting. A war is ridiculous when no real oppression is occurring.

Want a revolution, then fine, organize into a proper militia/military force and have bases to resist in a conventional war. Not enough support for your minority politics, then fine - move to Ireland and let NI be.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
People seem forget that in the not too distant past, say up to around 100-125 years ago, that if a people / country wanted land that someone else had, they killed / conquered the people there and took it. It was just the way it happened. So all this nonsense about 800 years ago, give me a fucking break...

Most of the Irish decedents here in America are actually better off they are here, rather than back in Ireland, regardless of the bloody history that got them (and pretty much every one of us) where they are today.

But yeah, raise your foooking pint glasses to a land you've likely never been to, speaking words you don't understand, because someone with that blood in their veins spawned some of your relatives in the distant past. It sells lots of beer and keeps people happy and numb. Bravo.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn there goes my chance to get reparations!
[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/-K69E2WaCRc [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
The way I see it, the North American Brit Colonies polarized; many revolted against the Crown, and became the United States. Canada stayed British (with French holdouts in Quebec)
Conquered Ireland fought a revolution to be come an independent Republic in 1937. The Province of Ulster chose to stay with the Brits, like Canada. I have no love for what anyone does in Ulster, all players are crazy. My affection is for the Republic. Ulster is a Brit problem. It's not strictly about religion, but Ulster was seeded by the Brits with Protestant Scots and others, While the South remained staunchly Roman Catholic. Some want to unite the island (never happen), some simply hate the Brits as conquerors, and want them out. The six counties are pretty religiously diverse: not all citizens of Antrim, Down, Armagh, Derry, Fermanagh, and Tyrone are united behind either side.
There are so many violent splinter groups among the Prots and the Provos, it's hard for British and Irish intelligence to keep up.
Some stateof insurrection has been going on for about 800 years.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have no sympathy.

Dia is Mhuire Duit agus Padraig

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post