SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hospital fires employee for racist rant in donut shop
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hospital fires employee for racist rant in donut shop Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted
Video of encounter

In no way condoning this idiot's behavior, but it's interesting when not just the CEO but a low-level employee is immediately canned for this.

I get that the hospital wants to side-step the bad PR, but how does this all fit into employment law?

P.S. - once you are on film, you might want to dial back the rantometer, not turn it up to an 11!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I get that the hospital wants to side-step the bad PR, but how does this all fit into employment law?

Some employers now have a "social media" policy which limits what employees can do, even if it's on "personal" outlets.

Whether you're a CEO or a line-level employee, you can still garner bad press for your employer from the internetz.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
And doing it while wearing your scrubs. Probably has name tag on. What a maroon.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Friends wife is a nurse (high level) and got canned for something she said on Fakebook. Social media apps that use your real name are not advised.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
but it's interesting

Not really.

Thank God for HEAVY BREAKING NEWS huh? Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
The distinction here is this isn't someone posting stupidity to their social media. This is someone being recorded, presumably w/o blessing or permission though likely not needed, and then the person doing the recording posting to social media.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Situational awareness, a skill for all job types.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
but it's interesting

Not really.

Agree. I don’t know why we have these threads. I don’t care if you work for Mississippi Baptist Medical Center or the NFL, you do not have the right to free speech. The first amendment protects you against the government not your employer. Your boss makes rules and you abide. Nothing to discuss.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
but it's interesting

Not really.

Agree. I don’t know why we have these threads. I don’t care if you work for Mississippi Baptist Medical Center or the NFL, you do not have the right to free speech. The first amendment protects you against the government not your employer. Your boss makes rules and you abide. Nothing to discuss.

Agreed. Funny how it always gets misunderstood though.

-----------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
When my SIL was considered for NJSP
the first thing they want is ALL your password to any social media accounts.
THEN if they find you had an account you didn't report, you sign an agreement to immediate discharge.
Employers are dead serious about your outside actions and words.
Solution don't have any.
But I wonder about forums....

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why should they need your password? Anything you post is pretty much right out there for anyone to view.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:

Why should they need your password? Anything you post is pretty much right out there for anyone to view.

Not necessarily...Depending on your personal settings some things might not appear to people you are not personally connected to however should you post something bad/stupid and one of your friends chooses to share it becomes very public.

I have a love/hate relationship with social media as I see it has real value in marketing but it is a PIA having to babysit adults.

Several years ago I, and others in my business, had to start making NO SOCIAL MEDIA POSTS clear on certain contracts and crew sheets after too many instances of everyone from catering to the non paid production assistant claiming "ownership" of projects and/or posting pics of really expensive ad campaigns or sensitive items
prior to it being public info

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

It fits by being a legitimate and legal reason to fire someone.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

It fits by being a legitimate and legal reason to fire someone.
Yeeeeeeah, I don't think so. He was in his own time. I don't care how he's dressed or if his ID is visible, This is typical cowardly chickenshit from some ass-covering corporation.

First Amendment

It doesn't matter if his employer can get away with canning him for this very minor incident. Doesn't matter. It's still wrong in my opinion.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Doesn’t seem like a lot of judgement involved, unless it was bad judgement.

I’ve been pretty frustrated a time or two by the service (or lack of the same) at one establishment or another. It never seemed like a good idea to let that frustration show. I just don’t see how it moves any goals of mine forward.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
When does the doughnut shop employee get canned for calling him a son of a bitch?
She was on the clock, in her place of employment.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
When does the doughnut shop employee get canned for calling him a son of a bitch?
She was on the clock, in her place of employment.

Agreed, and I thought the same. Lots of bad choices on display in the video.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
First Amendment

It doesn't matter if his employer can get away with canning him for this very minor incident. Doesn't matter. It's still wrong in my opinion.

Para, I know it doesn’t seem fair but in the world of labor law the precedent has been set. Your employer can hold you accountable for things you post on social media. I believe the first case was with the famous Mystic Pizza in Connecticut and this case is covered in seminars that include HR, unions, and labor lawyers.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
No healthcare facility in the US would have let that guy keep his job after seeing that and identifying him. The end.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post