SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You are awoken in the middle of the night, you hear glass breaking, and your dog is barking...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You are awoken in the middle of the night, you hear glass breaking, and your dog is barking... Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Whoever comes in can meet the dogs - it wont end well for the intruder.

Yeah, based on prior discussions about your Danes, your tool of choice may be a mop and bucket to clean up whatever is left of “the poor soul turning his life around” after the dogs are done with him. Big Grin

Always love a feel good story.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Close and lock the bedroom door, dial 911 and grab the shotgun.
They can have whatever in the living room but that bedroom door and the hallway they got funneled in to get to it is their end point.

I *did* get woken up by my (male) dog barking at 0300 a few nights ago.
It wasn't the Holy Schnikes! Serial Killer! bark or even the more frantic CAT ON THE FENCE!! bark. Just kind of a slow woof metronome that I'm sure my neighbors would not like to hear.
When a surefire turned the backyard into mid-day, there was goofball looking at the back fence like, there *might* have been a cat there yesterday...maybe, and the female was still laying down. Roll Eyes

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Shoes, broom, dustpan.

With my dog, a 9mo Beagle pup, I'm thinking it's the dog.

Eleven year old beagle here.

That's right.

They don't outgrow it. Smile

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
quote:
A reliable pistol caliber carbine, shotgun, or rifle is superior to a pistol for home defense.

I can open a door with a handgun.
I can operate a phone with a handgun.
I can hold on to a railing going down steps with a handgun.
I can keep a handgun close to my body for retention.

Can't do those things with a long gun. A rifle has it's place, close quarters isn't it.

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Handgun (G19) or shotgun (Benelli M1).

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
S&W 686.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
I keep my suppressed SBR in 300 blackout about 6 ft high on hooks in the closet. It’s my go to choice with a light, MRO, and sling. Our bedroom is at the back of the hall with my 6 year old son right off the living room. The dog sleeps in his room which if he’s going nuts means my son is exiting the room to come back to ours. The triplets are across the hall from our room as well. I say this because I don’t have an option to post up in my room. I need to move at a minimum to my oldest sons room. Which at that point due to the angles I’m clearing the living room and working through the kitchen. Only place I’m not searching is the basement. There is no exit from down there other than the steps in the kitchen. I’ll wait there if for some unknown reason someone is down there.

Our previous home was a two story with a semi enclosed stairwell. In that scenario I’m posting up at the top of the steps with only the rifle and my head around the corner. No need for me to move past that point as I have my family secure.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Insist the dog starts drinking his wine from a plastic cup from now on.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna need all the help I can get if the intruder gets past the 2 Doberman's so an AR it is.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
I chose the shotgun option because an area weapon is easier to use effectively under stress. I would grab my FN police shotgun and dial 911 while covering the steps, which provide an excellent choke point if an invader attempts to come upstairs.

If it there is an intruder, they will also have to deal with 100 lbs of pissed off Akita.

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
First thing I reach for is my pre-printed notecards with my chack-chack speech on them. Don't want to bungle the big moment.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shotgun with buckshot. Have daughter come into our room and let out a yell that dog is on the way. By this time my dog is frothing and ready to go. Let them come in the hallway to bedrooms and open fire.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I pick up the clackers on my nightstand and trigger all claymores.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HKg3:
I chose the shotgun option because an area weapon is easier to use effectively under stress. I would grab my FN police shotgun and dial 911 while covering the steps, which provide an excellent choke point if an invader attempts to come upstairs.

If it there is an intruder, they will also have to deal with 100 lbs of pissed off Akita.

Mike

A shotgun is not an "area weapon" at inside-the-house distances. The pattern is probably about the size of the palm of your hand.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
If it’s even that wide....at 10 yards Winchester LE 00 buckshot is still contained completely within the 7 ring of a standard silouhette target. That’s with an 870, an 11-87, an 1100, a benelli M2 and M4. Never shot the FN but I doubt it’s much different

Unless you have a really, really big house, a shotgun is NOT an area weapon

quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by HKg3:

Mike

A shotgun is not an "area weapon" at inside-the-house distances. The pattern is probably about the size of the palm of your hand.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
At inside the house distances, my 870 with Magpul stock is really handy. I daresay even handier than my AR. I think it's the lack of a "tactical" sight: there's really no precision--just look down the barrel to the bead that's painted bright orange.

But I usually keep the long guns locked up in the safe, so I'd probably investigate with my P229. Night sights, weaponlight, and CA maximum 10 rounds mags.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
11.5" BCM AR with an Omega, weaponlight, sling and 30 rounds of Gold dots waiting to go bang.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
A picture is worth 1000 words...Big Grin

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Sig P320, because that lets me carry a flashlight as well. Shotguns with mounted lights are a little cumbersome in close quarters.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
I voted pistol, but specifically, it would be my .300blk AR Pistol.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post