SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You are awoken in the middle of the night, you hear glass breaking, and your dog is barking...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You are awoken in the middle of the night, you hear glass breaking, and your dog is barking... Login/Join 
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I like "choose your own adventures" but this one is off to a slow start.
I chose "Phase Plasma Rifle in 40wt range", because it was one of the choices.
What page do I turn to?

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
My Mossberg pump 570 is always close.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
DDM4V7 with Aimpoint T1, 600 lumen Surefire light, and Vickers sling.

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Where, I believe, we enjoy having these type questions posed, taking this question seriously, is there anyone other than myself who'd probably go investigate, after putting on some shoes, without a weapon prepared to fight?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Whoever comes in can meet the dogs - it wont end well for the intruder.

Relative had a mean ass, inside dog years ago... they got robbed. They figure the dog was fed something which put it down for a bit.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
Where, I believe, we enjoy having these type questions posed, taking this question seriously, is there anyone other than myself who'd probably go investigate, after putting on some shoes, without a weapon prepared to fight?

Glass breakage isn’t a normal nightly occurance in the Jones household.

I’d have to say that it has never happened. So, no I wouldn’t put on shoes and wander down there thinking it might have been a (fill in the blank) that inadvertently wandered into my house. And if it is, they’re getting a rifle pointed at them.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
No, and I don’t think the right answer is to even go investigate. Even though most of us would

For me, the sound of breaking glass would be accompanied by an alarm

If this happens we have a plan for our family that we have practiced, and had to put into action once

Without getting into too much detail, I hold the stairs with a rifle while my wife moves behind m securing our children into the master bedroom where we barricade, both with rifles, until the police arrive. We have means of egress from that room if need be

Even though you know your house, if someone has come in, they KNOW you are there...you don’t know that they are

Very few of us have truly trained in clearing rooms in a house. I have, many, many years ago, using what are now dated doctrines, but even Back then we knew it’s not a one man job

You have no idea of you face multiple assailants from multiple entry points.

Work from a position of strength, where you can defend yourself and your loved ones, and hold until the cavalry arrives. Yes, I know when seconds count, the police are minutes away. Which is why I get someplace I can secure and defend for however long it takes

quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have my Glock 21 with wml and suppressor as my bedside gun. Guest pillow has a silenced Beretta. Rifle by bed is 300blk suppressed sbr with wml.

I did wake one night to glass breaking. My kids did too. Ran up to make sure kids were ok. Then I checked the first and second floors with just the Glock. Kids had third floor covered (they each have a mini rifle safe in their closet for their guns). Turns out the wind lifted the umbrella and tipped over the glass table on the deck. Oops.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I've awaken to someone NOT calling my name. Are you sure that's the breaking of glass you hear as you come out of deep sleep? Have the dogs left the house through the broken glass? Is the alarm working?
Are you even awake?

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
.45 ACP full-size because that's what it's been fitted-out for. Has night sights and a light.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
P220 would be first as it is in my nightstand, the safe is across the room. Once I get to the safe, probably the 9mm AR pistol. I would think that I could solve the problem with 32 124gr HST's, that is, if I didn't solve it with 11 RA45T's.

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not immediately investigate. I would cover the door and call 9-1-1. If someone has broken in, its smarter to let them come to you.
I live alone so no family to check on.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
320 with light

Uh, yes, dinner reservation for 12...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigmoid,

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pistol. Easier to maneuver in small house.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Grab the shamshir and see what’s up.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
P226 Dark Elite, 19 rnds of PDX1 147gr and
a Surefire X400 for the laser light show.
The Benelli M4 Entry is not far.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
Pistol. My AR is in the safe downstairs, and my shotgun is 26”. AR in Canada is also only 5 rounds (pinned 30 round mags.....easily remedied but just another demonstration of laws only keeping honest people honest) whereas my pistols are limited to 10 rounds.
I’m also the only person in the house, so I’m staying in the bedroom with the gun pointed toward the door, and calling the cops. If the door opens, well....

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
My Mossberg pump 570 is always close.

I'm with you on that. Nothing says "don't fuck with me" like a shot gun. Me loves my shotgun.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The average trained police officer, with a pistol, hits their target about 25-30% of the time. With a long gun, that number is about 90-95% of the time.

You may THINK you are better than that, but in a dynamic event, with people moving and running, and shots incoming, you'll likely perform exactly the same as an average police officer. Meaning dismal hits on target with a pistol.

With that in mind, you are doing yourself a great disservice if your plan in dealing with a home invader is to use a pistol.

The pistol is for bump in the night that you don't actually think is an intruder. The long gun is for actual confirmed intruders (window breaks, you hear voices, etc)

Colt 6720 next to the bed with 30 rounds of Golf Dot. Electronic hearing protection next to the rifle should I have time to put it on. Pistol and 911 for the wife.

A reliable pistol caliber carbine, shotgun, or rifle is superior to a pistol for home defense.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Pistol. I’m quicker with it, it is more maneuverable than my (now featureless) AR, and contrary to the AR it is loaded and more readily accessible than the AR which is in the safe. The pistol is probably going to be easier on all four of our hearing if I have to fire it than the AR would be.

Not sure whether the wife will be calling 911 (not sure how long it would take the deputy to get past the gate or find the place if she did), securing the kids, or grabbing her pistol. Perhaps some more planning is in order...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post