SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ford Ecoboost owners (or those in the know) - do you use an aftermarket tuner and cold air intake?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford Ecoboost owners (or those in the know) - do you use an aftermarket tuner and cold air intake? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Here’s an article by Garrett that starts to explain air/fuel and the efficiency island.

https://www.garrettmotion.com/...ance/choose-a-turbo/

How to read a turbo map:
http://www.superstreetonline.c...turp-compressor-map/

Compressor size and maps:
https://www.enginelabs.com/eng...zing-a-turbocharger/

Thanks! I’ll definitly be reading this weekend.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I seriously would just recommend going with Livernois. They've already done a lot of work with the Ecoboost engine since its debut and they're a proven aftermarket supporter of the platform. Plus, their customer service is top notch. Once you select a package from them and you receive your tuner, they'll provide free updates to your tune if you make more modifications.

And they've got every modification available for the Ecoboost. From simple tunes to full blown race engines, they've got you covered.

I looked into Livernois a little last night and they may be at the top of my list. Thanks for that.

Ok. New exhaust. Lord these Ecoboost trucks sound like “ricers” when they have those cat back exhaust and a tune. Who’s got the best sounding exhaust?

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'm using a Corsa exhaust. Sounds pretty good. Quiet when cruising and loud when on the gas.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
The best sounding exhausts I ever had on turbocharged vehicles, was straight pipes. No cats, no resonators. The turbos act to silence the exhaust some. Just as well, when tuned for the exhaust, it is a decent power upgrade. I had a clip of the WRX (crappy old video camera from years ago) and I just uploaded a couple of the Bimmer for you to hear. It’s just 3” straight pipes, from the turbo back. Both were made from heavier gauge stainless. The WRX had single wall tips IIRC. The Bimmer had really nice fully welded, heavyweight titanium (not burned and ugly) tips. The titanium tips actually changed the sound considerably. They were also slightly flared which also changed the sound.

Flat 4, WRX with straight pipes:

https://youtu.be/tyMo9PhUk40

Inline 6 with twin scroll turbo, BMW with straight pipes:

https://youtu.be/sm67gbFQm6A

https://youtu.be/epZEICy1GxQ

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Roush would have something as well. They are a factory approved item, though I’m not sure about all the details. If warranty is a consideration it might be your best option.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure you are stuck with SCT or Bully Dog units that utilize Derive software.

5Star tuning is who you want most folks to with the SCT X4 tuner.
These folks pretty much rule the 3.5L EcoBoost TRUCK market.
Livernois is good to but they are more focused for the car side of things.

The
Pretty much everyone on the EB Expedition forums run 5Star.
I’ll be going 5star eventually as well.

The S&B closed housing intake with a dry filter is likely your best bet for cost.

The AFE Stage two would be my choice if it utilized a closed housing. It’s nearly $600 too.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Oh, there's always Hennessey. They had a package similar to Livernois' for the SHO but kinda passed it over in favor of the Raptor EcoBoost.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Hennessy is as crooked as a dogs hind leg. He’s a thief and sheister. Do not trust anything from that squad of fools.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a follow up on my OP.

I have decided against a tuner for various reasons. I may upgrade my exhaust but that will be about all in the near term.

While investigating the various tuners and the pros and cons I saw reports indicating that the 2011 model year (maybe other early Gen 1 Ecoboost's too) had some not-so-good plugs that were gapped way to wide. The new and improved plugs are now gapped around .032 to .035 I believe. (People getting tuners from MPT and the other well known shops are gapping their plugs around 0.028.)

Ford also reprogrammed the computer. Wow. What a difference new plugs and new tune has made - plus the new CAI I recently got. Still not what a new tuner would give me but much better.

The Ford tech reminded me to run high quality gas (like Mobil or Chevron), synthetic oil, and to give it an Italian-tune regularly (meaning to put your foot into it). You can't drive these turbo charged engines like an old man - which I typically have been doing.

Time will tell if I gain any in MPG but as they say, these engines should be called Eco-or-boost. You don't get both at the same time.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I don't know what that Ford tech is talking about but you definitely should not beat too hard on your engine. I have been flogging my Taurus since the day I bought it. Around 20k, it developed very slight oil leaks in both turbos. Even after addressing the issue, when I run it hard I get an overpowering smell of burning oil. Fortunately, I am not losing oil and it hasn't gotten into the cylinders. But it is something to be cautious about.

posted Hide Post
I've avoided this thread since I think for street use screwing with the factory stuff is nuts (* I race things and then all is ok). But FWIW I take our ambulance to the local Ford dealer for service and since it has stuff that we can't easily remove I have to accompany it. Which means we go back into the bowels of the service department. Due to various issues on our 6L (really bad ford engine) I have been there lots lately. What I see is nothing but ecoboost engines being replaced. lots and lots of them. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got my SCT tuner and tunes from 5 star tuning the other day.
I also got a K&N Cold Air Induction filter. We installed the K&N and then drove it. The pedal response was noticeable. Have not put any of the tunes in to try yet...maybe Sunday.
Am going to Indy for the convention on Saturday all day.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post