SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    No fresh bread on Wednesday, . . . Ever
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No fresh bread on Wednesday, . . . Ever Login/Join 
posted
That's the rule.

According to my grocer.
And the inner net.

I never knew that,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you talking bakery fresh bread or a delivery of white wonder bread? Prepackaged bread is hardly what I would call fresh

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Yeah the stuff in bags at the grocery is made days before...the color of the twist tie tells what day they made it.....depending on brand....ie M-wht T-red W-grn. Etc....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe you should confer with the outer net to find a more suitable response.

Posts: 7474 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Yeah the stuff in bags at the grocery is made days before...the color of the twist tie tells what day they made it.....depending on brand....ie M-wht T-red W-grn. Etc....

Really? I never noticed that. I'll have to check next time I'm at the market.

But I don't really care. I assume the bread has been sitting for days. I freeze the loafs anyway.

Except for market bread made in the store - that's made daily.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
My wife (of 35+ years) never looks at the date stamped on the bread bag. She just takes the first one off the rack.
That's one of the main reasons that I usually do most of the grocery shopping (but not the only reason). Roll Eyes

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The factory made stuff.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Um....we in the dewhorse household have fresh bread everyday....my MIL ( god I love her) bakes daily.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Really? I never noticed that. I'll have to check next time I'm at the market.

But I don't really care. I assume the bread has been sitting for days. I freeze the loafs anyway.

Except for market bread made in the store - that's made daily.

national brand bread guys are off Wed and Sun, cause no bread is usually baked on Tues or Sun (it's usually delivered the next day, )

smaller bakeries do what they want, a high school friend is off Fri/Sat, he is a baker for a small local bakery, (commercial, retail, and restaurant not retail sales)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
When our son was in high school, he had the relief bread stocking job at 2 local grocery stores. The main Eddy's driver had 2 days a week off so our son drug the racks of backed goods from storage to stock the shelves. I think it was Friday and Saturday. On those 2 days nothing was delivered to the store but taken out of the back room. He made pretty good money for a HS kid.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
My spousal unit makes fresh bread on Wednesday.

Posts: 4110 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Fresh is subjective.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Wednesday being hump day makes the day the highest during the week which effects the yeast rising abilities. That’s my explanation and I’m sticking to it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
If I had to guess, I would say the baker/night crew work the previous night to have fresh bread ready by morning.
I'm thinking they have Tues. night off as they most likely work Sunday night for Mon. Maybe a schedule of S,M, W,Th,F.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I've noticed recently that the "freshness date" has moved out drastically recently. It used to be store bread was only good for a week or less now I see loaves that are good for 3 weeks.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
I've noticed recently that the "freshness date" has moved out drastically recently. It used to be store bread was only good for a week or less now I see loaves that are good for 3 weeks.

I think we are discussing two different breads in this thread.
1)My local grocery has a bakery that makes bread and buns and such. I would expect those to last a week.
2)The same grocery also has a bread aisle w/ the mass produced brands that most likely have preservatives. I'm not sure how long those last as it's been years since I purchased those.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
chances are your local grocery is buying the bread frozen,
it is either par baked, meaning the take it out the box frozen, let it slack out in a fridge overnight, and pop it in the oven for a few minutes before bagging,

or
take n bake, as in mostly cooked, but needs a finish bake at home in your oven,

or
frozen, thawed out overnight in the cooler, proofed the next morning and baked,

BTW, in a grocery store, many breads are made from the same frozen loaf

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Yes we are. I'm talking about your #2, they must be using a new preservative because the use by date is so much later. The store bakery doesn't have a use by date they mark the bread with the baked date. I try to avoid all bread, its one of my weaknesses. Unfortunately I work some odd hours and don't have the luxury of time to go to the store weekly so the mass produced stuff it is.

quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:

I think we are discussing two different breads in this thread.
1)My local grocery has a bakery that makes bread and buns and such. I would expect those to last a week.
2)The same grocery also has a bread aisle w/ the mass produced brands that most likely have preservatives. I'm not sure how long those last as it's been years since I purchased those.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post