SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lost my keys, need new keyring suggestions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lost my keys, need new keyring suggestions Login/Join 
Picture of barndg00
posted
I have lost one of my sets of keys... I know they made it into the house (have that on video), but they have eluded my wife and I for the past week, and I suspect they may have somehow made it into the trash in a bag that I was carrying when I came home. So I will be replacing them. I need a new key ring and was wondering what others used. I'd like to keep two thicker car key fobs, 3 keys, an alarm fob, and a Tile so I don't lose them again. I'd prefer to be able to keep them in my pocket as well. Any suggestions?

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Don't have any opinions about your Key ring issues, but...

H&K-Guy Axiom #32: "The sure way to find any lost item is to purchase a replacement."

I wouldn't move the old key ring from the MIA to the KIA list until it's fate has been determined.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
You might poke around on this website: http://www.keyring.com.

Disclaimer: I have never done any business with them, so I can not say from personal experience whether they are good, bad, or meh.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
This won't help in the short-run, but think about having a dedicated place to keep your keys; maybe close to the door you usually use so as soon as you get in the house you put your keys in their "home". Develop the habit. We have a key "rack" by the door leading to our cars. Just food for thought.

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Invest in a Tile (lost stuff locator). attach to your keyring and with your phone you can track it and even make it beep. Also its location get updated anonymously from other users of the app. I use in on wife keys, both cars, wife's ID card.

Works great.

Won't help now though.

https://www.thetileapp.com/?re...tm_source=tiledotcom

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Won't keep you from losing them, but as far as key rings go I'm a big fan of the KeySmart organizer. Keeps everything tidy and helps with the bulk in your pocket.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As posted earlier, check keyring.com. I have used them with good results.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
All of our key sets have a standard size, non locking carabiner on them. Very handy for clipping to almost anything and fairly difficult to lose.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a handful of lightweight polymer carabiners from Amazon . Sometimes you just have too much crap to keep it in your pocket .

Posts: 4057 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I put a series of those little screw in hooks by the door we use to enter the house.

You just have to be clever enough to hang them up on the way into the house.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
These won't prevent losing your entire set of keys, but I use them for several different sets of keys.

http://luckyline.com/shop/key-...new-twisty-key-ring/

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
A tile and the fact that I keep my keys in my pocket at all times lessens the probability of this occurring.

And OP, as soon as you get new keys, you will find the 'lost' keys. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I bought a handful of lightweight polymer carabiners from Amazon . Sometimes you just have too much crap to keep it in your pocket .

I also have a small carabiner so I can clip to a belt loop sometimes, but honestly after cutting my keys to the bare minimum, I haven't done it in awhile.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
XYZhttps://www.xyfindit.com

It won't find your lost keys.

But if you use XYZ, the keys you lose in the future can be found.

I use XYZ.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Of course, after ordering a new alarm fob, I found the keys this morning, fallen behind the bowl where they are always kept (and which I moved to look for them). Thankfully, I haven't ordered a new fob for the car or other keys yet. Tile has been ordered for the future, thanks!

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I use the freekey system by exotac. It's not revolutionary or high tech but for me it's just the right amount of "new spin on old tech"

In stead of the typical split ring, the ring is flat with little bends that make it easy for you to put keys on and off yet still as secure as a regular split ring.

I've used it for 4 or 5 years maybe more with never an issue.

amazon link to freekey

First In Last Out

Posts: 4790 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
We recently bought 4 tile for $50. My son lost one of his FOB's and if he can't find his keys he is screwed. This past weekend my wife drove from NJ to GA. with my daughters car. My daughter was able to track her car all the way to GA.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I'm old and outdated so I do the janitor thing with a retractable key ring for my house and work keys. Doesn't look very 'tactical' but I could garrote an attacker if need be. At least I think I could. Um...probably should reach for my Glock first...

My cars are on their own key fobs and they always go back to the same parking spot just inside the door I always come in when I get home. Took me many years years of training to finally get myself to "auto-leave" my keys there. My dogs learned how to fetch and beg faster.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Got this recently and I'm happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the FreeKey too. It is great. I put a small marine grade snap hook on it to attach to a split ring that goes through my Kydex holster holes.
Works well, but tends to make me look janitorial.
But I don't care.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
I use the freekey system by exotac. It's not revolutionary or high tech but for me it's just the right amount of "new spin on old tech"

In stead of the typical split ring, the ring is flat with little bends that make it easy for you to put keys on and off yet still as secure as a regular split ring.

I've used it for 4 or 5 years maybe more with never an issue.

amazon link to freekey

Exotac FTW.

Posts: 520 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post