SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help with Metadata and Photos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with Metadata and Photos Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
I have a few hundred very old, 100yrs +, photographs that I have scanned and researched/recorded information such as name, dates, other important information by using my Mac OS and right clicking on the JPG in Finder > Get Info > Comments section. My problem is, if I move those files to a Windows computer, all of that data is lost. I need a way to move all that data into some "official" metadata field inside the JPG file itself so that it is all retained. I don't want to have to manually copy this information out of "Get Info" and paste it into something else. Is there an automated way, some Macro, etc.? I don't code so don't even go there. I do have Adobe Photoshop Elements, but honestly have not yet used it and know little about it.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Good question! I'd like to know, too.

In fact, I'd like to know how to get a look at almost any digital photo's metadata. Does one need to use special software, or is there a way to see it/edit it using routine MS Office software?

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
How are you moving them?

It should work if you "export" the photos out of photo first.

Try this...

I suggest making a new folder on the desktop first to export them to, to easily find them later.
The location to save them to will be selectable in the second pop up menu when you export.

Select the photo or photos to move

Then select...

FILE>EXPORT>EXPORT 'XXX' PHOTOS. (where 'XXX' is number of selected photos)
Then be sure to check the two boxes to Include Title, Keywords, and Description And Include Location Information (if it applies)
Click 'EXPORT' and a second popup will open so you can specify the location.
Click 'EXPORT' again after selecting the location.
Copy the exported files to the PC.
Done.

Hope this works for you! Fingers crossed.

Edit to add photo:

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Guys, the issue is that the comments are in the general OS X file metadata that is present for any file (I see these comments labeled "spotlight comments" online but don't see an easy way to access.them in bulk), not in the EXIF metadata specific to the image files.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
The files are not in the Mac Photo app and the metadata I am referring to is currently not in the EXIF image files metadata, but part of the “comments” under Get Info in Finder.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
The files are not in the Mac Photo app and the metadata I am referring to is currently not in the EXIF image files metadata, but part of the “comments” under Get Info in Finder.

Sorry. That is unfortunate.
I misunderstood. I have no idea in that case...
Good Luck with your endeavor, I have many many old photos I should scan myself.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
In terms of automating the process...I have no idea. You said you have PS Elements. If you open the photo in Photoshop, then go to File ---> File Info you can add specific data fields that stay with the image.

It would be arduous but doable, to manually enter this info in all the photos.
Not so helpful, I know, but a suggestion nonetheless. Good luck.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
You said you have 100+ such photos. Comparatively speaking, that is not many. You may have to resort to "copy and paste" for each photo.

When I moved my 7500 photos from Webshots to Flickr, I had to do a lot of "copy and paste" of my descriptions--Flickr had an ap to make the copy over of the photos and their organization, but the descriptions weren't handled by it.

Good luck.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post