SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Plumbing maintenance question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plumbing maintenance question Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Our house is on acreage csemi rural, on an aerobic septic system. It is maintained and inspected several times a year. So far, so good.

Recently we have experienced more frequent commode stop ups in one commode, so far clearing those with a plumbers friend and vigorous application.

Is this a sign that a rotorooter type clean out of the line with a snake is needed, necessary, good idea

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with aerobic systems vs. the standard anaerobics, but I occasionally have the same issues with my regular septic tank.

I'd look first at the toilets. If they are the low-flow cheapo type, there may not be enough water for a good flush. What I have to do with the toilet that is farthest away from my tank is to hold down the flush handle until the tank is completely drained. Since I started doing this I've not had the problem.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The commodes seem to be fine, adequate, and have been until this one recently started acting up.

We had house guests for several weeks recently, but it is the master bathroon commode that is the problem.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Single story house?

Is the master bathroom on the "end of the line"? The last set of fixtures to enter the sewer?

It is not unthinkable a Q-Tip or larger can be wedged across the horn of the toilet outlet, giving you intermittent performance is it proves not to be a sewer or venting problem.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I too have this problem with the crapper at the end of the line. I attribute it to a poorly finished line when the house was built. Only once did it require serious plumber intervention, but has required the plumber friend therapy several time since then.

A certain grand daughter tends to "clog" it when she visits and has to use it.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
Single story house?

Is the master bathroom on the "end of the line"? The last set of fixtures to enter the sewer?

It is not unthinkable a Q-Tip or larger can be wedged across the horn of the toilet outlet, giving you intermittent performance is it proves not to be a sewer or venting problem.

It is the fixture closest to the septic system. I have no idea how the plumbing is run, probably in the slab of course.

Single story house.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Has the roof vent been snaked out from the roof top? I've had this issue and that was the remedy.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Has the roof vent been snaked out from the roof top? I've had this issue and that was the remedy.

Not since we bought the house 5 years ago.

It sounds like I should get a plumber out here.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds reasonable to me. Before I call a plumber I also go around and see if there is anything else I need him to do. Stuff I could do but they can do much quicker.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Wonder if your guests flushed a “flushable wipe” that got hung somewhere?

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I would have it snaked out.
Those guys even have a snake with a camera on it. Usually turns out to be a crappy picture but hey.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... Has the Taco Bell thread caused a recent change in your eating habits?

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Not since we bought the house 5 years ago.

Do you have a "young-n-dumb" close by who can run a snake for you? (You rent the snake from Home Depot and pay the "young-n-dumb" a bit for his/her effort.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If your problem is localized to the one bowl I'd be inclined to think it's localized to the one bowl. Could have something in the toilet, tooth brush, disposable razor, cell phone, match box cars. Big Grin (one of the worst offenders we ever dealt with was a match box fire truck lol)

If your toilet is getting clogged and you're fixing it with a plunger, it's unlikely to be a pipe problem because it's not getting to the pipes. Wink UNLESS yo have a cracked pipe and roots have grown all the way up to the bowl, which I have seen plenty off times, but it's not common.

How's he water level in the tank? Make sure it's not a "mechanical" problem before looking for a plumbing problem.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
If I were a betting man, I'd say there is one of those wax rings with the plastic funnel thing molded into it. And something is wedged across it. Or something is caught in the toilet trap.

The way I'd go about this is to shut off the water, remove the tank, remove the bowl, inspect the bend, inspect the trap in the bowl. There's just as likely a plastic something-or-other caught in the toilet trap as there is an obstruction at the flange.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
If your problem is localized to the one bowl I'd be inclined to think it's localized to the one bowl. Could have something in the toilet, tooth brush, disposable razor, cell phone, match box cars. Big Grin (one of the worst offenders we ever dealt with was a match box fire truck lol)

If your toilet is getting clogged and you're fixing it with a plunger, it's unlikely to be a pipe problem because it's not getting to the pipes. Wink UNLESS yo have a cracked pipe and roots have grown all the way up to the bowl, which I have seen plenty off times, but it's not common.

How's he water level in the tank? Make sure it's not a "mechanical" problem before looking for a plumbing problem.

No young-uns. We keep the lids down at all times on all commodes, unless in use.

The water level varies from what I regard as normal to low after I clear a stoppage. Then, as it gets flushed, the water level in the bowl gradually goes to normal.

I have a plumber coming over tomorrow.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a plumber coming over tomorrow.

Let us know what happens.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This may seem like an unusual question, but what brand of toilet paper do you use? Avoid the Costco(Kirkland) toilet paper if you have a septic system.

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC Fan:
This may seem like an unusual question, but what brand of toilet paper do you use? Avoid the Costco(Kirkland) toilet paper if you have a septic system.

Why? This is what we started using.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yes, our septic dude suggested Scott toilet paper. My dad hated it and complained about it whenever he visited. He was used to the luxurious two-ply "facial quality" type, not my crummy rectal quality stuff.

Come to think of it, I wonder if he was the "flushable wipes" culprit.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post