SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Airplane question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airplane question Login/Join 
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted
Why is the Lockheed T-33 considered a large aircraft when it comes to wake turbulence when it only weighs 15,000lbs? Asking for a friend.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not positive, but may have to do with with wing loading and the dissipation of the jet thrust.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I believe aircraft are rated by maximum gross take off weight. Planes having a MGTOW above 12,500 lbs are rated large.

The plane itself doesn’t weigh that much, but if loaded above that, might not be able to handle maneuvers, speeds, turbulence, as certified. Not just wake turbulence, either, climbs, landing, take off distances, fuel burn, stall speeds, etc

That’s plane, fuel, baggage, ammo, bombs, people, etc.

The T-33 has a MGTOW of 15,061 lbs.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perfection is impossible,
Trying is not…
posted Hide Post
The 7360.1B corrected the T33 from a Small+ to large class. Don't forget that jet thrust adds into also...

"Isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Posts: 516 | Location: OKC | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
In the appendix of the 7110.65, they all anything between 41,000-300,000 a large. Anything under 41,000 is considered a small. Of course they split small into small and small plus.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perfection is impossible,
Trying is not…
posted Hide Post
But there are some acft that for purposes of wake turbulence an aircraft weighing between 12,500 pounds and 41,000 pounds. For Class B airspace rules, these aircraft are “large, turbine-engine-powered aircraft.”

"Isn't it weird that in AMERICA, our flag & our culture offend so many people - but our benefits do not"

Posts: 516 | Location: OKC | Registered: October 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Just seems odd.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It’s the government!

It means different thungs to controllers and pilots. I found this.

quote:
Additionally, the term "large" with respect to aircraft means one thing to air traffic controllers and another thing to pilots.

A heavy aircraft, according to the FAA's Air Traffic Control Policy, Order JO 7110.65V, effective April 3, 2014, is one that is capable of taking off at a weight of 300,000 pounds or more. The key word is capable - an aircraft can operate with less than 300,000 pounds during takeoff and still be classified as "heavy" under this air traffic control policy.

A large aircraft is one with a maximum certified takeoff weight of more than 41,000 pounds and less than 300,000 pounds.

A small aircraft is one with a maximum certified takeoff weight of 41,000 pounds.

Source: http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic...pubs/atc/AppdxA.html

For pilots, the definition of a large aircraft is taken from the Code of Federal Regulations, CFR 1.1, which defines a large aircraft as aircraft with a maximum certificated takeoff weight of more than 12,500 pounds.

In contrast, a small aircraft is one with a maximum certificated takeoff weight of 12,500 pounds. So, why does that matter?

One practical application of this term is to determine which airplane a pilot is certificated to fly, or a pilot's privileges and limitations for his or her particular pilot certificate. A pilot who possesses a Private Pilot Single-Engine Land pilot certificate, for example, is legally allowed to fly any single-engine aircraft except for large or turbo-powered airplanes, either of which requires a specific type rating. All large aircraft (above 12,500 pounds) require a pilot to have a type rating specific to that airplane.

Source: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/te...e=14:1.0.1.1.1.0.1.1

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
It’s the government!

It means different things to controllers and pilots. I found this.

quote:
Additionally, the term "large" with respect to aircraft means one thing to air traffic controllers and another thing to pilots.

A heavy aircraft, according to the FAA's Air Traffic Control Policy, Order JO 7110.65V, effective April 3, 2014, is one that is capable of taking off at a weight of 300,000 pounds or more. The key word is capable - an aircraft can operate with less than 300,000 pounds during takeoff and still be classified as "heavy" under this air traffic control policy.

A large aircraft is one with a maximum certified takeoff weight of more than 41,000 pounds and less than 300,000 pounds.

A small aircraft is one with a maximum certified takeoff weight of 41,000 pounds.

For pilots, the definition of a large aircraft is taken from the Code of Federal Regulations, CFR 1.1, which defines a large aircraft as aircraft with a maximum certificated takeoff weight of more than 12,500 pounds.

In contrast, a small aircraft is one with a maximum certificated takeoff weight of 12,500 pounds. So, why does that matter?

One practical application of this term is to determine which airplane a pilot is certificated to fly, or a pilot's privileges and limitations for his or her particular pilot certificate. A pilot who possesses a Private Pilot Single-Engine Land pilot certificate, for example, is legally allowed to fly any single-engine aircraft except for large or turbo-powered airplanes, either of which requires a specific type rating. All large aircraft (above 12,500 pounds) require a pilot to have a type rating specific to that airplane.

Link

Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
It’s the government!

quote:

Link
Good read but still then doesn't make too much sense why for controllers a T-33 would fit into the Large category.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
quote:
quote:
It’s the government!

quote:

Link
Good read but still then doesn't make too much sense why for controllers a T-33 would fit into the Large category.

How is the controller treating it? What is the difference in operating n?

Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
Not much different for us between a small plus (over 12,500 but under 41,000 pounds) and a large (41k-300k). It's more of a curiosity than anything.

I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
Seems it's been recategorized as medium.

page 162 https://www.faa.gov/documentLi...Type_Designators.pdf

Posts: 1826 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12,500 lbs as "large" regards pilot privileges and certification. No, not all aircraft above 12,500 require a type rating.

Wake turbulence is relative. The wake of a T-33 will have no impact on an 830,000 lb 747, but can have a definite effect on a 2,500 lb Cessna 172 in trail.

The weight is a determining factor in setting following intervals for traffic separation.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why is the Lockheed T-33 considered a large aircraft when it comes to wake turbulence when it only weighs 15,000lbs? Asking for a friend.

As far as wake turbulence, the aircraft are categorized generally by weight, but if something about the aircraft causes it to generate more wake than would be expected for its weight. For instance, from recollection I believe a 757 is treated as a heavy because though it doesn't weigh that much, in certain configurations the wake is much more than one would expect. (I can't swear to this, but I think the most trouble comes from the '57 when clean [gear and flaps up], and slow at high angles of attack). Perhaps there is something about the T33 that causes it to generate more wake than would be expected for the weight?

Posts: 6917 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The T-33 is a Category F aircraft, which cover a maximum gross takeoff weight greater than 15,500 lbs, but less than 41,000 lbs, and a wingspan less than 125'. For aircraft less than 15,500 lbs maximum takeoff weight, wingspan is irrelevant, but the T-33 remains Category F for wake turbulence purposes.

See page A16: https://www.faa.gov/documentLi...der/JO_7110_659C.pdf

As a category F airplane, it does not require greater intervals with traffic following behind the T-33, but the T-33 requires a greater interval for it to follow most other classes of aircraft, because the T-33 will be far more affected by wake turbulence, than it will affect other aircraft.

Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:

As far as wake turbulence, the aircraft are categorized generally by weight, but if something about the aircraft causes it to generate more wake than would be expected for its weight. For instance, from recollection I believe a 757 is treated as a heavy because though it doesn't weigh that much, in certain configurations the wake is much more than one would expect. (I can't swear to this, but I think the most trouble comes from the '57 when clean [gear and flaps up], and slow at high angles of attack). Perhaps there is something about the T33 that causes it to generate more wake than would be expected for the weight?
Yeah no, I get The Who wake turbulence aspect but what specifically makes the T-33 have more wake? The T-38s have higher thrust but are considered a small plus.

Side question for those controllers who went through wake recat, how hard was it to make the transition? At BFI we have anything from light sports to really big heavies every day.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
No, not all aircraft above 12,500 require a type rating.
I believe that this statement is in error.

Per FAR 61.31 q.v. a type rating is required for every aircraft that meets any of the following:
  1. Maximum Certified Gross Takeoff Weight in excess of 12,500 pounds

2. Turbojet-powered airplanes (even if less than 12,500 pounds)

3. Any other aircraft specified by the Administrator (FAA) through aircraft type certificate procedures.
Certain exceptions are made if all of these requirements are satisfied:
  1. The Administrator has authorized the flight or series of flights

2. The Administrator has determined that an equivalent level of safety can be achieved through the operating limitations on the authorization

3. The Administrator has determined that an equivalent level of safety can be achieved through the operating limitations on the authorization

4. The flight involves only a ferry flight, training flight, test flight, or practical test for a pilot certificate of rating; the flight is conducted entirely within the United States; the flight does not involve operations for compensation or hire (other than payment for use of the aircraft for training or taking a practical test); and the flight involves only the carriage of flight crew members essential for the flight.
I have not found any other exception to the 12,500 pound requirement for type ratings. If you are aware of one, please cite the source with specific reference to the applicable FAR or other FAA document.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I have not found any other exception to the 12,500 pound requirement for type ratings. If you are aware of one, please cite the source with specific reference to the applicable FAR or other FAA document.

The Air Tractor 802, largest production civil single engine airplane in the world, is 16,000 lbs gross (12,500 for spray operations). No type rating required (none available). Restricted category.